JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well,ZA,I would get a collet? puller instead of a inertia puller. The inertial puller slams the bullet and deforms the tip,making them useless.
Probably not all bullets end up this way but the polimer? tips did

I've deprimed live primers. Just go slowly and wear all the protective stuff. No bangs yet but I'm also aware if the risks.
x2 im not afraid of depriming live primers. treat it like your first time and dont ram it down in there. dont want a premature explosion of any sort.;)

There was a big to-do years back in Precision Shooting magazine (the benchresters...) about something called "cold welding". It turns out if you load some very clean unoxidized bullets into very clean unoxidized brass, and let it sit some years, the bullet will tend to weld itself to the case to a certain extent. This clearly can raise pressures.

There was some speculation the military uses (used?) tar between case and bullets for this reason.

This is one of the reasons I don't tumble cases, or clean neck interiors other than a little brushing. I want that carbon and oxidation between the bullet and the case.

Would that not create a poor moisture proof seal?
Makes sense if you plan to shoot it soon. And not hunt in the rain.

But sealant on the neck and primer works well for long term storage.
I'm still shooting GI 30 Carbine ammo from WWII with 42-45 head stamps. And never a dud?

I still make allot of waterproof hunting rounds, similar to how you see the WWII ammo. Never a problem!

Hey you know the inertia bullet pullers? I cured the bollit deform problem long ago. Take your puller apart, take a piece of neoprene or other soft rubber and cram it down inside the nose of the puller. I've pulled thousands of rounds and no more deformities. :D

I still make allot of waterproof hunting rounds, similar to how you see the WWII ammo. Never a problem!

Hey you know the inertia bullet pullers? I cured the bollit deform problem long ago. Take your puller apart, take a piece of neoprene or other soft rubber and cram it down inside the nose of the puller. I've pulled thousands of rounds and no more deformities. :D
I was thinking about something like that

the newer rcbs inertia puller already has somethin in there to protect the bullet. atleast mine did. i have both the inertia and collet puller.

i have found that if you slam the inertia puller and let it act like a drumstick while doing a drum roll it works better instead of just pounding the crap out of it on the ground.

thats the best way i can describe how i use mine. its like if you hit the ground with it it will rebound and hit multiple times if youre holding it just right.

(snip) Hey you know the inertia bullet pullers? I cured the bollit deform problem long ago. Take your puller apart, take a piece of neoprene or other soft rubber and cram it down inside the nose of the puller. I've pulled thousands of rounds and no more deformities. :D

The rubber, or foam, has to fit tightly. Otherwise, you get a lot of powder stuck in there. Especially, pistol powder. Also, I replaced the flimsy metal clip around the shell holder with a suitable sized rubber O-ring. Got that tip years ago. Works great!

There was a big to-do years back in Precision Shooting magazine (the benchresters...) about something called "cold welding". It turns out if you load some very clean unoxidized bullets into very clean unoxidized brass, and let it sit some years, the bullet will tend to weld itself to the case to a certain extent. This clearly can raise pressures.

There was some speculation the military uses (used?) tar between case and bullets for this reason.

This is one of the reasons I don't tumble cases, or clean neck interiors other than a little brushing. I want that carbon and oxidation between the bullet and the case.

There's a long article in Hatcher's Notebook about this subject, it was originally a problem with Zinc plated bullets.

The military sealant historically is an asphalt, it's designed to keep water out of the case.

To be honest, I'm no fan at all of hornady brass, running a loading operation, it's been a continual problem because they have a tendency to cut their brass short for their leverrevolution ammo, which obviously jams up the works. I can't speak to whether it sticks in chambers or not, this seems a bit odd.

In general, tumble cases in media that have a little bit of preservative wax/soap in it, to prevent the cases from tarnishing quickly. I've fired ammo loaded in the 1890's within the last 5 years. In some cases the primers went bad, in others the case necks were showing signs of age cracking.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top