Disposal of old ammo?

Reactions
Ok, so i pulled out and looked at some old military surplus ammo that i have been storing for the past 10 years. About 1 in 4 cartridges has what appears to be corrosion? Light green stuff on the casings....perhaps 5-10% coverage on the ones that have it...is that the lead?
I separated these from the ones that still appear ok.
Are these now unsafe to use?
Should i look into disposal?
And if I do need to get rid of it... where does one dispose of old ammo like this?

Reactions
The green corrosion is from the brass, not the lead.

have had rounds for many years that are ok. As long as they have been stored in a cool dry place, you should be good to go.

OP
K
Reactions
What type of ammo? I have picked 7.62X39 up out of puddles covered in rust and shot it through my cheap ak.
That is what it is...i bought it 17 years ago when i got my SKS....fired off about 70 rounds and stored the gun and ammo ever since..in a cool dry basement.
Was just surprised when i was inventorying it recently and found a quarter of it oozing a bluish/green substance...:eek:

Reactions
That is what it is...i bought it 17 years ago when i got my SKS....fired off about 70 rounds and stored the gun and ammo ever since..in a cool dry basement.
Was just surprised when i was inventorying it recently and found a quarter of it oozing a bluish/green substance...:eek:
Oozing?? THAT might not be good. Case discoloration is one thing but if it's "oozing" a liquidy substance THAT is another thing entirely! Be careful. :s0001:

Reactions
Not sure whether your ammo is ok or not, but I've disposed of old ammo (stuff that I can't shoot anymore because I sold the gun or whatever) at my range. They'll sometimes have a bucket for duds and old stuff. I'm sure it gets picked-through, but better someone else mess with it than me.

Reactions
Ok, so i pulled out and looked at some old military surplus ammo that i have been storing for the past 10 years. About 1 in 4 cartridges has what appears to be corrosion? Light green stuff on the casings....perhaps 5-10% coverage on the ones that have it...is that the lead?
I separated these from the ones that still appear ok.
Are these now unsafe to use?
Should i look into disposal?
And if I do need to get rid of it... where does one dispose of old ammo like this?
You can send it all to me if you don,t want it.

Reactions
The lovely classical name for brass corrosion is "vertigris", originally used to define the sad condition of disused knight's armor fittings. I think the word just means, "pale green stuff."

If there is more than what will come off easily with a scotchbrite pad, the case could be weakened and might split inside your gun's chamber.

I once bought a 500-round can of fifty-year-old .30-carbine military ammo. The loose ammo had been moved between several different cans, but generally well stored. Only a few rounds had spots of vertigris, which came off with a thumbnail. Not a single round failed to function perfectly, and were even loaded a bit "hot".......................elsullo :s0155:

Reactions
Please check out the ones mainly to the far right or upper center row on this pic. The 'substance' is mostly coming from the seems where the casing and bullet meet.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_k07pirzBU34/SaWToijA4GI/AAAAAAAAAoM/GsgmtjEzc7U/s400/DAG762.jpg

So......the final verdict..ok to use or no?
Tough to see from the small pic but I what others have said is probably true... if it's just discoloration that comes off easily it's probably fine. If it's "liquid" or doesn't come off easily then it's probably not worth risking (weak case, "bad" powder that mixed with moisture at some point, etc.).

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - Pistol/Rifle Combo
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - Pistol/Rifle Combo
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
  • Revelation Arms
    4.00 star(s)
    Depends who answers the phone
    I was given the number to Roger Loock by Beaver Creek Armory, as I needed parts I had ordered from MCarbo installed on a Kel-Tec Sub2000. On my...
  • Coastal Farm & Ranch - Cornelius
    3.00 star(s)
    Lesson learned
    I’ll take some responsibility here, as I took the employee at their word instead of doing a thorough inspection. Short story is that I asked for a...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Good guys!
    I stop in here every once in a while to see what Michael has in the clearance section, and to ask questions when I have a project in mind...
Top Bottom