JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings...

Long story short I have permission to hunt a problem bear on a local farm. The owner is not a fan of hunting, but did not like the idea of ODFW euthanizing the bear. He opted to let me shoot the bear, and I am going to share the meat with some of the guys that live and work the farm. I am trying to do this in a way to avoid disturbing the neighbors and the folks who live on the farm. The plan is to go out there with a couple game cams and try and pin down the trail he is walking on, and hopefully get back and away from the buildings. That being said they have a tower in the garden just adjacent to the compost he has been getting into, so i can always sit in that. I have the whole gamete of tools; iron sight 30-06, scoped 7mm, a bow, a shotgun with slugs, and even a scoped .223 with bonded 62 grains (head shot?).

Any good tips on dispatching a bear as quietly and quickly as possible?

I am assuming you are talking the Back Bear here? If so they are fairly easy to kill. Shotgun slugs would work great and not make too much noise. Best of course would be if you had something suppressed which I am guessing you do not. So I would avoid trying head shots with a .223 unless you mean from a side view of the Bear. Assuming you can hit what you shoot at the neighbors should only hear one shot. If neighbors are so close this is a problem they are probably too close to safely use a firearm. People use a Bow to hunt the small bears all the time of course, again as long as you can hit what you shoot at.

This of course is entirely dependent on the local laws and regulations regarding such an endeavor.

With enough rifle you certainly can go with a headshot, however I would honestly go with a slug gun shooting for both lungs.

You puncture both of those lungs with a slug and you have a dead bear at the end of heavy blood trail. Quietest? No, but you have a dead bear.

Please do not consider this post legal advice, always call ODFW.

I just called and they said I can bait the bear to draw it away from the farm, structures, and people. This will be super helpful, as there is a big chunk of public land that boarders the property and I have a climbing tree stand. Anyone ever bait a bear? I am thinking the usual stuff, just using things that have a strong smell.

There are a few master baiters here on the site, hopefully one will chime in to give you a hand.

Please do not consider this post legal advice, always call ODFW.

I just called and they said I can bait the bear to draw it away from the farm, structures, and people. This will be super helpful, as there is a big chunk of public land that boarders the property and I have a climbing tree stand. Anyone ever bait a bear? I am thinking the usual stuff, just using things that have a strong smell.
Find supermarkets and bakery's. They are usually nice at giving away all the old pastries.

.308 suppressed would be my go too. But if no suppressors in the inventory, 12g slug for sure.

Bait my cousin used in MT is sardines, cracks the can open and pours the oil juice over the bait can. His bait cans were old 30gal steel drums with a clamp-on lid. The drum had a bunch of large holes in the sides so the bear can get bits but not all. He then chains the can to a tree.

The rest of the bait can is just food garbage. But he said the sardines makes them go nuts. :D

(head shot?).

Not unless you can send one down the ear canal. Head is the one place you do NOT want to shoot a bear, or maybe it was the paw........ or was it the maw?

I have the whole gamete of tools; iron sight 30-06, scoped 7mm, a bow, a shotgun with slugs,

Lol, you meant gamut.... gamete is a germ/sex cell.

All four listed first will do the job, but since noise is a consideration, the 12ga slug will make less noise that won't carry as far. Or the bow with a heart/lung shot. Me dos centavos...

Not unless you can send one down the ear canal. Head is the one place you do NOT want to shoot a bear, or maybe it was the paw........ or was it the maw?

Lol, you meant gamut.... gamete is a germ/sex cell.

All four listed first will do the job, but since noise is a consideration, the 12ga slug will make less noise that won't carry as far. Or the bow with a heart/lung shot. Me dos centavos...
As i was typing that out, I knew it did not look right, but micro biology was a long time ago. Sounds like the slug is the best bet. I grew up hunting white tails in NY with a slug gun, and they sure do work.

As i was typing that out, I knew it did not look right, but micro biology was a long time ago. Sounds like the slug is the best bet. I grew up hunting white tails in NY with a slug gun, and they sure do work.

Problem solved, slugger. :D

All in good fun!

When I fished rivers in CanaDA, I did so with a 12ga combat shotgun slung over my back. And there were huge black bears and even bigger griz there... I'm convinced 12ga will get it done. But even so, a slug may bounce off the front of the skull.... don't do it.

All in good fun!

When I fished rivers in CanaDA, I did so with a 12ga combat shotgun slung over my back. And there were huge black bears and even bigger griz there... I'm convinced 12ga will get it done. But even so, a slug may bounce off the front of the skull.... don't do it.
That is super interesting, I would really have not considered a bear head to be "deflect a slug" hard, but it makes a lot of sense. When I was first learning to hunt I shot a deer, and when I approached her she sat up. I tried to shoot it in the head, but I was zeroed at 100 yards with a scoped slug gun (rifled/sabbot), and we all know where this is going. Needless to say I remember and feel guilty about it 15 years later, and have never taken a head shot since, it was horrible.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top