JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Slightly OT, but possibly not.

I have been carrying all year. Been keeping my head on a swivel and avoiding sketchy situations.

Yesterday, on my way to work I was not going fast enough for a fellow driver. A fair bit of honking, finger pointing, unnecessary braking and attendant anti-social behavior had my blood pressure pegged.

I am aware that recent close deaths and massive changes in my company have made this summer difficult emotionally, to grossly understate facts.

But what I thought after the encounter broke off and I was so wound up was that the adrenaline dump from an actual SD situation may itself kill me.

Yesterday, on my way to work I was not going fast enough for a fellow driver. A fair bit of honking, finger pointing, unnecessary braking and attendant anti-social behavior had my blood pressure pegged.
Just pull over and let em by. Also never let em see where you tied up your goat. :D

Just pull over and let em by. Also never let em see where you tied up your goat. :D

I am not saying I was not a contributing factor.

That being said, I did the math and realized it was not going to go well if we stopped rolling, so I disengaged and got me and my goat the heck out of there.

I am not normally a hot head. I have gotten too old for that.

I was just realizing that the tunnel vision, shortness of breath, hand shaking, etc is gonna be a real thing to contend with if the day ever comes.

Slightly OT, but possibly not.

I have been carrying all year. Been keeping my head on a swivel and avoiding sketchy situations.

I am aware that recent close deaths and massive changes in my company have made this summer difficult emotionally, to grossly understate facts.

But what I thought after the encounter broke off and I was so wound up was that the adrenaline dump from an actual SD situation may itself kill me.
Good job keeping cool and thinking about why it ticked you off so much.
I've had my most stressful discipline tests while driving this summer on I5
But always praise myself for keeping my cool (sort of)

Having various medical issues that make any punch to the head or chest a potentially fatal assault, I found this interesting.
My 2ndary defense is my cane (as in poke and push hard, not swing and smack).
When you're old issues of losing face lose any importance. Nobody expects you go mano-a-mano with a bigger, younger guy.

I am not saying I was not a contributing factor.

That being said, I did the math and realized it was not going to go well if we stopped rolling, so I disengaged and got me and my goat the heck out of there.

I am not normally a hot head. I have gotten too old for that.

I was just realizing that the tunnel vision, shortness of breath, hand shaking, etc is gonna be a real thing to contend with if the day ever comes.

If you consistently train, it'll happen and be over before you fully realize what happened... the weak knees and shaking hands generally occur during a lull in action, and/or at it's conclusion.

The first thing damaged as a result of an aggressive driver is the ego, thus prompting an immediate response of some kind. Best thing to do is get out of their way and with any luck, a cop will see the whole thing and you get to laugh. Otherwise, it's several seconds out of your day that can ruin your day if you let it. If things go further and your pistol is pulled, even in self defense, those initial several seconds just affected the rest of your life even if you were in the right. If you drive a lot, think about how many times cr@ppy drivers/people cross your path? If they're already having a bad day why let them drag you into it? I know though, easier said than done.

I drove all over Europe (well, among a lot of other foreign places...) in a crappy VW camper van.

Spent time driving in Paris and found it anarchic, but never anger worthy.

Those of you losing your manure in traffic need to dial it back.

You and they don't 'own' the road.

Lighten up.

So someone cuts you off, whoop de doo. Let it slide...and in general while in traffic, let it slide...

The pepper spray thing is annoying -- I wish there was a consistent answer on this topic. It does seem the consensus is that it is risky in a self-defense situation -- it would be nice if instead of the law making the carrying of pepper spray a trap, it tried to encourage the use of spray by making its availability inadmissible or something like that. The unintended consequence of turning pepper spray into a legal quagmire, is that people avoid it and defensive encounters will be more deadly rather than less. The law is an bubblegum as they say.

My take on pepper spray: If the situation is really serious, it's probably too serious for pepper spray.
Dealing with an honest-to-God existential threat requires a response that's not debatable vis-à-vis effectiveness.
Tactically, it might be a good choice for obstreperous bums, but who wants all the legal problems concomitant to hosing that bum down with Punch?
(Obviously I'm not suggesting shooting obnoxious panhandlers absent a real assault.)
Poke and push cane-fu for me, with lethal force as an option only in the gravest extreme.

What-if
Best I can advise, learn to chill and relax. Simple, yes. Easy, not always.
Driving under any (lets call it rush hour) conditions where a high volume of "I can leave at the last minute and haul azz" I'm gonna be late drivers, is redonkulous.
Learn to "pace" your speed with the flow, NOT the speed limit. The right lane is for going the speed limit, and for getting numerous delays due to merging traffic.
Breath------------>> relax

Use Bear Spray. Fire them up if necessary

I hear that WD-40 and a B-B-Q lighter can make an improvised flame thrower. Ether-based aerosol starting fluid shoots a flame that radiates heat for 8 ft around the sides. :eek:
Yeah, I know - pretty hard to explain in court why you set him on fire when you could have just shot him. :p
Still, I'm betting that 8' of flame works better than pepper spray.

Anecdote re imminent threat:
My BIL was accosted by an acquaintance who threatened him with GBH as he was going into a store.
He said to wait right there - I'm coming back out immediately.
While in the store he bought a baseball bat.
Upon exiting the store he said OK I'm ready.
The other guy heard the phone ringing elsewhere and left. :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top