JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure where to post this my bad for offending anyone

Has anyone noticed the price gouging in classified forums

Ammuntion for starters

I'm all about making a profit but some of what I'm seeing is just wrong
I didn't post this to start a fight with anyone and that seems to be what has happened
my bad for offending anyone

Last Edited:
Not a big fan of gouging.....but supply and demand rules. If a person didn't have a supply of needed ammo before the current Government over-reach, and it appeared suddenly on a forum... at a premium... access beats no ammo I guess.

I think it's only gouging if the product is necessary, such as water, food, fuel, etc. Ammo is a want, not a need (gasp!) and those selling at a profit are capitalizing on supply and demand.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

P

If it were badly needed essential medicines and food when there isn't any other available, that's one thing, but ammo that someone "wants" and is willing to pay premium prices - I don't think that's price gouging.

I'm with the herd on this.

I reserve a fair amount of scorn for the people who PAY ridiculous money for what most of us would deem "non-essential" items (we can do that because we are prepared) and make opportunism possible. Free-markets work both ways.

That said... I LOVE early-adopters who pay ridiculous money for the "next new thing". They pave the economy-of-scale road so that the rest of us can come along later and pay $100 for an LCD or plasma TV when they jumped-in at $2500.

Petrol, utilities, medicine, food, and water are essential, and opportunistic gouging in times of temporary crises should not go unanswered by consumers.

Those are all different things, IMO.

A seller can ask whatever price they want to.
I noticed what I thought were outrageous prices on some items long before our current situation.

Is there an uptick in "high" prices , now with all that is going on ?...Maybe.

What I do know is :
That I can afford to buy something at the listed price or I can't...this is true for me at any time...
If I decide to sell something , I will try to ask a fair price for it...
And if I see someone who is taking a selfish or hurtful advantage of a situation now , it will affect whether or not I buy or trade with them later.
Andy

On one hand, I think it rather stupid to instantly raise prices of certain firearm goods.. on the other... here is what I am seeing...

1. Prices kept low during high demand resulted in empty shelves and actual shortages due to panic runs and buying of stuff. Excellent example, "I bought this unnecessary item for 50-75% off original price, look how much I saved!" "Would you have bought the same thing at full price? " "um no..." "well then you didn't save money :rolleyes:"

2. Prices raised to whatever levels during high demand, kept products on shelves, easing the supply chain, and if people willingly paid the current prices, thats on them, not the seller.

3. Prices raised to a percieved "too dang high" level, kepts products on shelves, but may result in loss of customers after demand subsides... witness Cheaper Than Dirt and similar businesses :rolleyes:

Its not quite as predatory as many people make it out to be. It is simply relatively free market forces... and human tendency to be irrational on some things.

When I see someone on here that wanted 1.5x, or more, what an item sold for new, and that item is not a vintage or collectable...

I don't have to buy it. But...................................................................... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My thought is that it will never sell. But today... who knows? Who cares anyway? I don't need anything, and I sure as HELL don't need any overpriced, overhyped, crap that someone thinks is GOLD!!! ;)

Consumable items... have your stash already, don't buy, or just swallow. IDK

Last Edited:
What about when the value remains the same but the price reflects current dollar amount for the same "value"? :rolleyes: (Looking at real estate and looking at dollar inflation rates... )

Yes monetary inflation is a beotch. However, pricing/wages typically balances out over a period of years. There are artificial manipulations of money tho.... Soros was famous for shorting the British pound. And China has been attempting to replace the dollar with the yaun (sp?) as the international currency for trading, by dumping a zillion units of their currency into the markets. It's artificial, so it unbalances things. Remember Argentina with 1000%/mo inflation = not good at all.

Housing prices over most of the U.S. have stayed at pace with inflation/wages. In those areas, a mortgage payment is still 1/4 of a family's income. Unfortunately for families, it takes two wage earners now to have the equivalent of what a man used to bring home. That aside, there are indeed housing bubbles, some caused by Bill Clinton wanting every person to own a home, forcing Congress to act and when they did the result was allowing Wall Street to become banks, forcing them to make worthless loans, and allowing them to package those worthless loans and sell them to dupes.

AFAIK the current housing boom/bubble is caused by migration patterns.... people still moving from east to west, from cold to hot, from Kali to PNW, and most neglected is large purchasing patterns by Chinese nationals. Not saying that is bad, but from what I understand it is a great factor in the latest increase of housing prices in the SF area.

Generally speaking, it is the realtors that set the price on a particular house, taking in the trends and also what the market will bear. This tends to be inflationary, as they work on commission and will always want to make as much moola as possible. Is that gouging? Not for me to say. I just know that I have been in a city where I needed to buy a home and there were bidding wars and it was not fun as a buyer. But when we sold, we were happy some rich person from Cali wanted to dispose of some of their windfall. We thought we had a windfall until we returned to sleepy lil La Grande and found out the prices here had doubled. :(

Here's the thing, and I don't mean any disrespect here....

Why does anyone care? If you don't like the price don't buy. No reason to take it personally and complain about it. How does it really affect anyone's life? Sorry but to me it's silly to whine about it and a lot easier to just ignore it and move along.

Even before the run on guns, people were pricing their "barely used" used guns for near brand new prices. The ads tend to sit there for weeks if not months.

It's called a stupid tax for a reason. On you, if you are dumb enough to pay that price.

Here's the thing, and I don't mean any disrespect here....

Why does anyone care? If you don't like the price don't buy. No reason to take it personally and complain about it. How does it really affect anyone's life? Sorry but to me it's silly to whine about it and a lot easier to just ignore it and move along.

Oh stop your whining about people whining and go read the "Pet Peeves" thread just for giggles and "Oh yeah"s... :p;):D:D:D

Im comfortable where im at. I was smart enough to stock up on 7.62 nato when the price was low, but too dumb to stock up on 556. I only got 500ish rounds of that loaded and capped. As for the price gouging in the classifieds it made me laugh. Like a 140 rounds of basic 223 for 100$? nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fam lol. But ill overpay for ammo if its good bubblegum. Show me some federal premium 556 or some 77gr OTM from black hills... if i got the money its mine.
As for rifles i dont even care at this point. So many nice guns that i wouldnt even care to own. Its been my experience that the idea of a gun is often better then the real thing with few exceptions. And 9/10 times i lose money:s0112:

One sure way to bring prices down is for everybody with stock piles of ammo to put them up for sale. Yeah I don't expect that to happen either.

I have cleared out a bunch of mine with a lot of it at pretty good prices. As I get down towards the end of what I am going to part with, I'm bumping prices up. I have tried to use average in stock prices listed on ammoseek for whatever ammo I've been selling. In my mind the only ammo that is priced too high is the ammo that doesn't sell.

Think about a guy that needs 9mm and is making 500k a year, he will probably be perfectly happy paying a price others would consider gouging. Ammo is not a necessity for most of us here. If I don't like a price I won't buy it.

I'll keep my mouth shut, as I don't have words innocent enough for the forum.
Except that I hope they never make a sale and I will never buy from those people.
:rolleyes:

Not sure where to post this

Has anyone noticed the price gouging in classified forums

Ammuntion for starters

I'm all about making a profit but some of what I'm seeing is just wrong
If you see some better deals on ammo out there please post them in the Great Deals section of the NWFA classifieds, I am sure your efforts will be appreciated.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top