JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Don't have any more details but thought some forum members might be interested in tuning in. Not entirely clear what the topic means and what it's going to specifically cover.

Tweeted by Oregon Wild about an hour ago:

See Erik Fernandez talking to @KeelyChalmers on @KGWNews tonight about the damage done to forest resources by illegal, destructive shooting.

I caught part of it.. many large trees shot down in a small area and the ground littered with shotgun empties. I think they mentioned "machine guns" and that there are/were dozens of sites like this.

many large trees shot down in a small area and the ground littered with shotgun empties.
The answer to this is simple (and many may not agree) but it seems just 'knowing' shooting at living trees is illegal isn't enough. Impose large fines for those caught shooting at living trees - end of story - you have been warned. If one cannot follow an incredibly simple rule then the violator should be fined.

The answer to this is simple (and many may not agree) but it seems just 'knowing' shooting at living trees is illegal isn't enough. Impose large fines for those caught shooting at living trees - end of story - you have been warned. If one cannot follow an incredibly simple rule then the violator should be fined.

I agree. Make the fine for shooting a living tree that you don't own exorbitant. That will cut down a lot of it, just the fear of getting caught.

I think the people who go out and shoot down trees, shoot TVs, etc, should be strung up by the ankles and beaten with a hose. These people make us look like a bunch of bubblegums to the average person.

I caught part of it.. many large trees shot down in a small area and the ground littered with shotgun empties. I think they mentioned "machine guns" and that there are/were dozens of sites like this.

I can confirm at least a half of dozen spots in Gifford Pinchot that are beyond thrashed. Small trees shot completely in two, trees with targets stapled in the middle and shot all to hell, litter, shot appliances, shooting clays, I can go on and on.

Hell, the trash can in front of the bathrooms at the Mt Adams ranger station had a few rounds put through it at some point in time, at least it was like that over the winter. Whomever discharged their weapon in that parking lot was beyond stupid, or maybe it was a trash can from another area ( I hope ). If you have been here you will understand my comment. Fed buildings, everywhere.

These people make us look like a bunch of bubblegums to the average person.
'These people' are are most likely 'fringe' people, barely mainstream and if so are in the shallow part of the stream. Why more are not caught committing these crimes is beyond me. Probably because they do not spend much time in the area they are defacing and most likely do so during the night.

From the article :

"Driving past people shooting semi-automatic weapons does not feel safe to our members," said Erik Fernandez, Wilderness Coordinator with Oregon Wild. "

OH NOES !

Erik needs to put on some big boy pants and grow a pair...

I do understand where they are coming from as far as the damage goes. I am no tree hugger and the destruction irritates the bubblegum out of me too.

I understand where you are coming from duane black, but even as an experienced shooter, I would not feel safe in the area either. Too many whackos out there with no concept of safety.

I understand where you are coming from duane black, but even as an experienced shooter, I would not feel safe in the area either. Too many whackos out there with no concept of safety.

Usually when I come across folks that are shooting in the forest during my excursions, it's families. Fathers and daughters, Fathers and sons, Guys and Gals. I have never felt threatened by folks shooting in the forest. I have come across a bubblegum ton of shady folks not shooting though. It's gotten to the point where I will not go into the forest un-armed. Period.

I know there are irresponsible shooters out there, no doubt. Thats the whole point of this discussion I suppose. I guess I feel Erik has a agenda, one that conflicts with all of our interests, and it annoys me.

:D

But I do get your point.

I can understand Erik's comment if he meant it as in "There are people shooting off into the woods and I'm driving out to go hiking in those woods. I don't feel safe hiking where these bozos are firing dangerously and without backstops."

On the other hand, it could be read as "Oh no! These people have guns. Guns=bad. We're gonna die if we stay here a moment longer".

I think his statement was just a little too vague to give any real meaning though.

However, his work is centered around maintaining the beauty and accessibility of our forests. With the way our natural areas are treated by those target shooters that are unsafe and fail to police themselves, it's no wonder someone like him could look on all shooters in a negative light. It's not fair for us responsible shooters to be profiled as the part of the problem, but that's just something that naturally happens. It sucks, but it is what it is.

All we can do is do our best to police ourselves, our community, and our natural areas. Clean up after yourself. Take out more than you bring in, if you can. Be smart about what you're shooting and where you're shooting. Organized clean-up party's are great...and advertise the fact that you're doing it. Discuss it with the Rangers, Forestry Dept., DNR, BLM, or whoever is in charge of the land you're cleaning up. They'll likely let you use their dumpsters. Invite your non-shooter friends for a shoot and a clean-up. The more we can let everyone know what we're all about, the more we can separate ourselves from the idiots, the cleaner our natural areas will be, and perhaps fewer areas will get closed to shooting.

Be safe, be responsible, be vigilant..happy shooting.

I hate the people who abuse public lands like the people shooting up trees and dumping trash there. Unfortunately, their actions are highly visible and reflect on all of us including people who treat the areas well.

Just an idea, what if ODF deputized volunteer rangers to inspect these areas? I think shooting spots are used by a lot of responsible people who'd be willing to adopt a spot and drop by occasionally.

A volunteer would not have powers of arrest, but I think just the occasional sight of a guy in a big hat and uniform would keep a lot of people in line.

Or we could create our own volunteer group - "NWFA Forest Guardians" or something. Buy a bunch of big hats and <broken link removed> . Sort of like Neighborhood Watch.

Also I agree strongly with bumping the fines for littering. A good chunk of the trash comes from the same bad people. The increased fines could pay for game cams, to capture license plates after a major trashing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top