Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Discreetly carrying the biggest gun possible? IWB or OWB?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Jan 16, 2011.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Who here carries with an IWB holster? Do you tend to carry a larger gun than you would with another method of carry or a smaller gun?

A lot of people seem to believe that an OWB holster is the easiest and most comfortable way to carry a larger gun, but I find that IWB carry is the best method for allowing me to carry the most gun possible without having to dress around my gun. I can carry a gun IWB that would be way to bulky for OWB carry...and forget about pocket carry. I have never thought pocket carry allowed a big enough gun without wearing ridiculously large/baggy pants. I only pocket carry (a Seecamp LWS380 or Rohrbaugh) when I have no other option.

When I am carrying IWB in the winter months I can easily carry my SIG P220 Elite Stainless in my Galco Summer Comfort holster. If I tried to carry that gun OWB I would have a hard time covering it, but when carried IWB it is actually easy to conceal...and very comfortable.

Does anyone else find this to be true? Do you find it easier to carry a larger gun IWB than any other method of carry? What do you carry and what holster do you use?

P220Carry.jpg

P220carry2-1.jpg

2. mattg521

mattg521 portland.,or Member

Hardly the largest out there but my larger carry is a CZ P-06. I have a FIST kydex iwb/owb holster for it I usually carry it owb as the 3.9" barrel isn't likely to show beneath slightly oversize shirts and jackets in winter. I find it more comfortable than IWB but only by a slight margin. I do feel it is better and more reliably concealed IWB so if in populated areas for more than short exposure times I'd switch to IWB. I used to only carry IWB when I 1st started carrying but the initial paranoia of being caught has eased off.

3. tattoo

tattoo NorthWest Active Member

Best I can do at being DISCREET. LOL
    Dave
    PB304601.jpg

4. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

LOL a trainers belt and a spyderco knife is discreet?

jj

5. HollisOR

HollisOR Rural OR, South of Dallas Active Member

I think a lot of people start out big and as time progress the move to lighter and small side pistols. If I lived in a dangerous A/O, that would influence what I carry. Where I live now, along with what I do, it is not a big concern. I like small and light over big and heavy. Also weather is a part of it. Summer it is more of challenge to conceal larger things. I guess I could hide my .50 DE in my cod piece and impress the ladies.

Some friends are real happy with the S&W Scandium .357.

BTW, I like that rig.

6. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

How about this?

Comparison1296x972.jpg
    Fatso1296x972.jpg

7. cwegga

cwegga Helena, MT Active Member

IWB definitely. As someone who needs to buy XL Tall shirts normally I would need ridiculously long shirts to carry very well OWB. With a smallish/medium gun (SP101) in a pancake holster I can cover with a tshirt or a button up but if I do pretty much anything other than standing up straight it will be showing. I would have to wear those white tshirts that rappers wear that come down to their knees...It wouldn't be pretty. :(

8. PlayboyPenguin

Ugh! We all could have done without the "nip slip" Weebs. :D

9. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

wardrobe malfunction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just for the record... that isn't me. It was found by searching desert eagle iwb

10. Dieselfuel12v

Dieselfuel12v Bellingham Member

I carry my fullsize 1911 IWB in a don hume leather holster. I'm pretty slim, so what i've found is I need to purchase a belt made for carrying. A normal leather belt sags even when tight, which tends to drag the side of the my pants with it. I hate tightening my belt so it's super snug, so if anyone has a belt they'd recommend, let me know.

11. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

I always carry IWB unless I'm at a competition/class or open carrying. I usually carry large-ish guns like a sig p229 or cz-75.

12. CIPuyleart

CIPuyleart La Center, WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

From my carrying so far, I can't think of any way I'd rather carry than IWB. But I can also tell I need to look at getting my jeans a touch looser (I just lost over 50 pounds and had re-purchased my whole wardrobe to fit, only to now add another 1-1/2" by having a pistol sharing my waist band). I've been ok with the P238 in my RKBA tuckable, but to go much bigger would be a challenge with a few of my current jeans purely because I like the waist to fit a bit snug (but not the legs).

13. PlayboyPenguin

No one ever sees my belt. If they do they are getting way to close in a very personal way. :)

And the Spyderco is my favorite possession. No so much because of the knife itself...because of the engraving on the back. It is the first gift my son ever saved his own money to buy me.

knife2.jpg

14. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

I consider myself a very very average person. Nothing special in any way and with no special training. I just like guns. Looking at your rig the belt screams gun. You may think people don't see it but I can't imagine you can go through a whole day without bending over :bluelaugh: The back shows too :bluelaugh:

A mans knife says alot too for those who can recognize what it is. Very few knife makers use the stainless body that spyderco uses, I got one too :laugh:

Point is one being truely discreet means to go un-noticed. Excuse me for voicing my opinion.

jj

15. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

Haha... I usually carry with an Ares Ranger web belt. It is the most tacticool gun-belt lookin' gun-belt that ever held up a gun and 4 magazine holsters and a flashlight and handcuffs and a first aid kit and... well you get the idea. :laugh:

I don't ever carry with that belt with a tucked in shirt though so no one ever actually sees the belt. ;)

16. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

shouldn't post while drinking

I'm just sayin'

17. carbuncle

carbuncle South Snoho Member

I've carried a 92FS, a 5906 and one of the 1st generation Sigmas IWB with few problems, I think it's the way to go with a large gun because it minimizes how much the gun can pull away from you.