JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Food, water, med kit, shelter, and fire are the basics. The best options within those categories depend on tons of variables and are up for countless debate.

And I didnt mention self defense because that should be on your person.

Figure out what your bugging out from first.
I don't pack mine as a "survive the end of the world bag" because I don't think that's as likely as needing a "get out of a burning/shaking house in the middle of the night bag"

Now that's a bug out bag.
Japanese retailer selling backpack large enough to fit an actual backpacker

IMG_20190106_194727.png

ham radio is another entire subject I've managed to waffle on over the years.

Best cheapo deals I've ever seen are right now, yet I remain curiously unmotivated.

At least with today's activity I have the beginnings of a decent kit in hand.
More added in next few days after passing suitable scrutiny test.

Spend 25 bucks (example) and throw in an amateur "ham" radio.
Hams are a great resource in emergencies. And you can (usually) communicate all over the world with just a 5W handheld.

View attachment 535144
That UV5R handheld puts out 4 watts and is 2m/70cm FM. Under optimal conditions in simplex (without repeater) you might get several miles. A mobile unit pushing 50 watts can get considerably further, but not worldwide. Under the same Technician's license, 10 meter will let you talk across the country and around the world but it atmospheric conditions have to be right.
However, you can do neat things with the little Baofengs. Connect one to a Yagi antenna and you can pick up the ISS as it flies over. Shout out to @AshWilliams for that one. With ham though, YMMV.

But with a repeater, you can talk worldwide. 10M does come with the Tech license, and a 50W+ rig will do a lot in good conditions, but requires a bigger antenna and not quite as portable. We have a few "birds" available to hams, but not quite as instant as the 100+ repeaters I can hit from Hillsboro.

My "bug-out-bag" includes a portable 2M/70CM setup with batteries, solar panels, etc. Long-distance might be useful, but I figure I'm more likely to need local assistance than someone 100s or 1000s of miles away.

View attachment 535171
Right, repeaters will give you legs for sure. I was referring to simplex with that particular HT. I have that exact one and a couple of the newer Baofengs. I wish they could skip a signal around the world, lol. But they can definitely hit all of the repeaters in the area.
Nice set up you've got going there!

Havent messed with HAM or other radio, even shortwave- since I got the NET-capability a couple decades or so ago.. the down-sizing may get me looking in that direction again. Not that we are likely to survive much of a "disaster-size" event but it is a good idea to stay in touch if the power or net go down.. for whatever reason...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top