JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Starting today, sportsmen will discover the ‘Discover Pass’

Hunting seasons are still weeks away, but starting today – and worth thinking about over the 4th of July holiday weekend when we celebrate the birth of this nation (and reflect why taxation played a major role in the revolution) – many outdoorsmen and women may discover this state’s “Discover Pass” requirement the hard way.

<broken link removed>

I wish I could stop getting conflicting statements on whether its just for rec areas or all DNR managed lands. Different people who should know say different things. Lots of people that use the land don't have a clue about this though

I wish I could stop getting conflicting statements on whether its just for rec areas or all DNR managed lands. Different people who should know say different things. Lots of people that use the land don't have a clue about this though
Believe me, I sympathize with you. Some state guy is probably going to say I am wrong in the column, but I got the information this morning from two different people at WDFW.

Think about this, though: A confused public is easier to ticket than people who get the same story from all different sources so they are all on the same page.

It's like the IRS holding you responsible even when they give you the wrong information.

A "disinformation" effort can provide some fertile wallets come citation and court time. At $99 a pop, say they hand out 10,000 tickets this weekend. Do the math. In 6 months time, they'll be rolling in dough.

I was told there is one guy (retired WSP) for 5 counties down here doing the patrolling so I imagine the chances of seeing him are slim. I will be testing the waters this weekend as the DNR land is practically my backyard and I don't feel like giving in to their additional taxes quite yet

Its always nice when government works hard to makes it easy for otherwise law abiding citizens break the law.

I suspect we need to start collecting signatures to get this thing turfed via referendum. Is that what needs to be done?

I cant stand the fact that we have to pay to park or recreate in alot of the forest areas. I understand the facts about vandalism and abuse. however, I think our tax dollars that we pay into the system should suffice. but then you also have the problem of lack of personal acountabilty by the few that like to trash our state and fed lands

I heard if you have a fishing or hunting license with a vehicle use permit you don't need a discover pass

From .gov website said:
Hunting and fishing on WDFW-managed lands. The Discover Pass is not required for holders of certain hunting and fishing licenses on WDFW recreation lands and water-access sites. For those individuals, a "WDFW vehicle access pass" will be required for vehicle access to WDFW lands and boat launches. WDFW will honor WDFW vehicle use permits that were purchased prior to July 1, 2011, on WDFW lands through March 31, 2012.

Those license holders will need a Discover Pass to access DNR-managed lands that are developed or designated as recreation areas, sites, trailheads and parking areas. Signs will be posted in these areas. License holders will not need a Discover Pass to access small blocks of undesignated DNR-managed lands.

For vehicle access to lands managed by State Parks, all hunters or fishers will need to purchase the Discover Pass. As a reminder, hunting is not allowed on State Parks lands.

Note: The vehicle access pass is valid for the license's year (April 1 through March 31) and is issued free of charge with an individual's initial purchase of a big-game or small-game hunting license, western Washington pheasant permit, trapping license, Watchable Wildlife decal, or saltwater, freshwater or combination recreational fishing license.

So looks like the WDFW access pass won't work for DNR rec areas but again this is the gray area I get conflicting info on. I also don't get the prior to July 1st tidbit. My vehicle access pass isn't good if I buy my license after the first or are they ceasing to issue them?

So it cost $35 with dealer fee and the ticket is $99 and it's hard to know where it is needed? and it's hard to enforce? I'd roll the dice and not pay for the pass and take the chance on the ticket.

You'll never find odds that much in your favor in Vegas. ;)

When I used to ski I would just stick a piece of colored paper in the window where you stick the sno park permit, it is not forgery since it has no writing but it will fool a passing police car.

I wonder if the Rainbow Gathering people will get any tickets . . . <broken link removed>

I also wonder if any tickets will be given out for all the vehicles in the tarp villages I see in the forests.

Something tells me they will only be targeting the average law abiding (and tax paying) citizen out for a weekend activity.

Many years ago, I lived in southern California and was an avid off-road motorcyclist. My buddies and I would go riding almost every weekend, often in National Forests.

We had to deal with something called a <broken link removed> . The Forest Service rangers would come around and hand out "tickets" if you were not displaying your pass.

Over the years, I collected 17 tickets - none of them were ever dealt with other than being thrown straight into the campfire, sometimes right in front of the forest ranger.

This whole forest adventure pass scam was a pilot project to see how many people were dumb enough to pay. Too many were, and now we have this discovery thing. You cannot let these crooks dream-up ways to pry money out of your wallet. Once they can demonstrate the "project" works, the door is open for business.

Many years ago, I lived in southern California and was an avid off-road motorcyclist. My buddies and I would go riding almost every weekend, often in National Forests.

We had to deal with something called a <broken link removed> . The Forest Service rangers would come around and hand out "tickets" if you were not displaying your pass.

Over the years, I collected 17 tickets - none of them were ever dealt with other than being thrown straight into the campfire, sometimes right in front of the forest ranger.

This whole forest adventure pass scam was a pilot project to see how many people were dumb enough to pay. Too many were, and now we have this discovery thing. You cannot let these crooks dream-up ways to pry money out of your wallet. Once they can demonstrate the "project" works, the door is open for business.
This is no 'pilot program'. It has been signed into law.

Governor signs Discover Pass into law | WDFW News Release

So I just got off the phone with the Discover pass help line. So everyone knows, If you have multiple vehicles that you will use on the lands that a pass is required you must purchase a pass for each vehicle at 30 bucks each. I am quickly changing my views on the state's motivation for this pass. They are very capable of making this pass transferable between 2 vehicles as they do with fishing licenses however they CHOOSE not too. I understand the need to help pay for maintenence during our economic state but gouging the citizens seems a bit unfair. Does anyone have any idea what the result would be if you just refuse to buy a pass and refuse to pay the fines? Something tells me that they would not allow you to renew your vehicle license/tabs. I am not sure.

So I just got off the phone with the Discover pass help line. So everyone knows, If you have multiple vehicles that you will use on the lands that a pass is required you must purchase a pass for each vehicle at 30 bucks each. I am quickly changing my views on the state's motivation for this pass. They are very capable of making this pass transferable between 2 vehicles as they do with fishing licenses however they CHOOSE not too. I understand the need to help pay for maintenence during our economic state but gouging the citizens seems a bit unfair. Does anyone have any idea what the result would be if you just refuse to buy a pass and refuse to pay the fines? Something tells me that they would not allow you to renew your vehicle license/tabs. I am not sure.

Ah, yes. The old Democrat strategy...ream 'til they scream.
And then ream 'em some more.

This is such a sorry POS hidden tax.. BOHICA...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top