JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello All

I'm curious if anyone out there is into disc golf. I'm thinking about taking it up with my boys and curious what equipment would be a good place to start out.:)

Play It Again Sports.

They have a wide selection of used discs and charts on the walls to know what discs fly in specific ways.

Plus you can always exchange or swap ones that don't work for ones that do.

:)

Got a shelf of them after 6 years.

I still play with a driver and a putter - maximum would be a third, a mid range of some type.

Don't get sucked into buying a boat load of gear for a basically free sport/hobbie/pastime.

Rainy Day Games in Hillsboro has a wide selection of discs and helpful staffers who've played. Tell them you're new to it and how far you can throw a regular Frisbee. They can steer you to good basic equipment for $8-12 per disc. Start with 1 or 2.

Like ball golf, it can quickly jump into highly specialized discs with very exacting specs (left, right, straight, rollers, putters, etc., etc., etc.). It only gets expensive once you've convinced yourself you need to carry a bag/pack with a couple dozen different drivers, mid-rangers and putters. And then humbling when some kid with a good arm and only one disc can launch one over the horizon while you stand there with your jaw on the ground. Start simple and don't take the bait to invest a lot until you're killing other players.

Personally, I find Innova (brand) Valkyrie (model) a good all around thrower for most skill levels. It's commonly available, and it's not "too much disc" (which is possible). It was also the world distance record disc for years and remains right up there in Porsche/Ferrari strata if you like automotive analogies. After you play several times, you might start experimenting with different discs. Again, the good folks at Rainy Day Games can help you sort out what you want/need based on what you report about the ones you're already throwing.

If you play, you will experience the following truths:
- other people play WAY too slowly
- other people can throw freakishly long distances
- other people can be slobs
- other people have some cool dogs
- other people are very helpful
- other people will find your discs, when (not if) you lose them and phone you - as long as you scribble your number underneath with a sharpie.

It's a cool sport, encourages friendly competition and you WANT to see others to do well. The earlier you can start in the morning, the less crowded it will be.

Last Edited:
Hello All

I'm curious if anyone out there is into disc golf. I'm thinking about taking it up with my boys and curious what equipment would be a good place to start out.:)

You dont need much, just a disc per person and go out and have fun. As with all hobbies, people can get in to it and will be carrying around bags of different types of discs for different distances. we just pick up a few cheep ones and laugh at ourselves when we hit the trees. Its just a small Frisbee

There is a course in Orchard park that is a nice relaxed one
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1650

Stubs has a good one but it is in the trees. So plan on throwing a lot
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4170

Horning's has another that is fun. we skip the one were you have to throw over the pond for obvious reasons
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3038

Horning's runs tournaments so check with them before you go.

I'm one of those guys who started with a couple discs and quickly started acquiring too many. I carry 10 discs but typically only use two or three of those.
Dont get caught up in all the different types of discs and flight patterns and distances etc. Buy a midrange that has a pretty straight flight pattern and a putter and some putters and mid ranges for the kids and go have fun. Once you start getting into it, you can experiment with different flight characteristics, plastics, etc. But in the end you will find that there are a few that you throw well and they will become your go to's.
I find that discraft discs are easier to understand flight patterns than innovas. Check out there sights. Discraft has a disc selection for beginners in their resources section.
Also maybe watch some videos on YouTube to understand some of the differences between throwing golf discs and regular frisbees.
It's a fun sport to enjoy with friends and family.

When I lived in Kentucky there was huge park by my neighborhood I used to run in. All throughout the park was a wooded area most of which had a creek running through it, and mountain bike trails.

It was also littered with disc golf rings.
There was always these 20 somethings going off in the woods with their discs.
And then there would be clouds of green smoke coming from the trees.
I quickly found out disc golf in KY was nothing but weedheads smoking out in the park.

I do miss that park though.

Yeah there are a lot of dudes that smoke out when playing. You just have to pick the right courses to stay away from that atmosphere. I've noticed the short city courses have more "weedheads" than the courses a little farther away from the city.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top