JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all, I made the mistake of thinking that having disassembled the lockwork in an old Argentine .45 that I used to own meant that I would have no problem with the same disassembly in a Springfield 1911.
The mainspring housing and leaf spring came out with no problem.
Next, as I remember, you push out the safety, and the grip safety, which rides on the same pin, falls out once the safety is out. However, the safety will NOT come out. I hammered on it as hard as I dared, with no result.
Does anyone know what the next step in disassembly is?

Not trying to pass the buck but hit YouTube and type out 'how to disassemble xxxx'. And you are almost guaranteed to find a step by step someone has posted up..

Way better then texting thru a forum.

Edit: I did what I suggested but never ran into a 2 piece guide rod and has no idea I needed a hex key for it... So questions when your completely stumped can be useful so I am contradicting myself a bito_O

Thanks, joe13. A friend set me straight on this. You cock the hammer and balance the safety* halfway between the OFF and ON positions. You can then easily push it out to the left.
By the way, I called Springfield before posting this. I fail to see why "liability concerns" prevent them from telling me this.
*This is the standard safety for right-handers, not an ambidextrous one, if anyone wonders.

I looked on Youtube before posting, but all it seemed to have was instructions about field-stripping. Caution, the narrator of the video labeled "Best" does not know the proper names for almost any of the components (the "slide" is called a "slide"), though his field-stripping was clearly enough shown.

I had the same exact thing happen to me before on my 1911. I ended up watching one of those disassembly/assembly videos on youtube that helped me to figure out the problem.

The thumb safety? Dont try to force it out. It just needs to be wiggled into a position where it lifts out. It has a lip that rides on the frame in a certain position and wont come out without damaging it if you try to force it.

Not a great close up video but watch him remove the safety. He lifts it up while wiggling it up and down and it pops right out

Thanks, joe13. A friend set me straight on this. You cock the hammer and balance the safety* halfway between the OFF and ON positions. You can then easily push it out to the left.
By the way, I called Springfield before posting this. I fail to see why "liability concerns" prevent them from telling me this.
*This is the standard safety for right-handers, not an ambidextrous one, if anyone wonders.

I looked on Youtube before posting, but all it seemed to have was instructions about field-stripping. Caution, the narrator of the video labeled "Best" does not know the proper names for almost any of the components (the "slide" is called a "slide"), though his field-stripping was clearly enough shown.

Were these the "best" videos? I haven't watched them for a while, but i remember these were the clearest for completely stripping the 1911.

1911 Detail strip and re-assembly

I just looked at a couple, including the one labeled by Youtube the "best", but neither of them went any further than field-stripping. They did a good job showing that.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top