JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The arming of law enforcement is a double edged sword, while I'm more than willing to accept the arming of every day police with pistols (provided they meet some real honest to god training standards, not these ham handed "empty the gun into target 20' away") and shotguns. Yes, I do see the need to arm them with a rifle, however that's a rifle, one that conforms to the laws of the state in which it is used. (so california LE, no more M4's with the fun switch) The list pretty much ends there. BLM is a federal agency, one that should be able to call on local LE, or FBI for support. ATF is a taxing agency, they don't need a swat team, that's an FBI thing, same applies with IRS. Exempting LE from the same rules that apply to everyone else really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I see no reason for any law enforcement agency to have an Mrap, because it's a waste of taxpayer resources from start to finish, that and roadside bombs don't exist anywhere in the 50 states.

The problem isn't just a bunch of armed feds - it's that every stupid federal agency has it's own law enforcement branch - from the US Postal Service to the Parks Service, the BLM, etc. And they're all becoming more aggressive and more militaristic in their mind sets and actions.

It's the old cliche' that when you give a man a hammer, all his problems start looking like nails. When you give cops MRAPs, AR's, SWAT teams - they're going to want to use them. They've got to justify having all the expensive toys. Frankly I don't believe that 90% of the federal law enforcement agencies that exist need to. Every entity does not need their own police force/special investigators. As someone else mentioned - if law enforcement action is needed - they should call upon the FBI or local cops. Imagine it on a state level - armed police powered agents working for the DOT, the DMV, Human Services, Forest Service, Fish & Game, Parks Service, BOLI, the Employment Department PLUS having a State Police department. And say half of the previously described agencies don't just have "investigators" - but tactical teams with armored vehicles, automatic weapons, etc. Pretty pointless, a waste of money, and frankly too many cops.

There needs to be a top-down scrubbing and restructuring of Federal agencies and getting rid of a lot of the dead weight - the decent cops could be moved into the FBI. Get rid of the ATF, get rid of the DEA and get rid of the tac teams - save for the FBI Hostage Rescue Teams.

There is zero reason for agencies like the BLM to have tactical teams and armored vehicles. I would even take it a few leaps further and get rid of the BLM entirely and transfer BLM "owned" or managed lands to the respective states. And yes I realize that's a pipe dream and less likely to happen than Captain Kirk flying the Enterprise down and landing in my back yard and asking me to go party with him and Elvis. A guy can still dream.

There is a need for a federal law enforcement agency - A federal law enforcement agency, not 100. And that agency should work with local agencies for actual arrests and enforcement actions whenever possible.

Exactly what I was trying to say. You're a better wordsmith than I. ;)

Come on guys, how do you think they justify these units? By buying 1.5 billion rounds of "HOLLOW POINT BULLETS" to keep the lowly subjects ( who are armed) from revolting and taking baking their country!!!
It's all in the name of safety....

What if the Fed. agencies that you don't like being Armed, did Stop issuing weapons to there employees in those agencies ?
OK, since the employees are now defenseless . Would you fight for those now disarmed employees having the right to practice there right to personal protection/self-defense by 'Concealed Carry' on there Job , as hard as you fight for your own ???

Yes, disarmed as completely as any private citizen working on or in a Federal building or reservation, and most of those agencies stripped of their police powers. If they don't like it - as everyone is so quick to say, they can get another job, preferably one not suckling from the tax payer's teet.

As I said before - not every federal agency needs it's own police force. If law enforcement action is required - that should be the responsibility of the FBI or the local police. Tax agents don't need to be carrying guns and badges, nor do health and human services workers, postal workers, etc. They can help to build a case, provide evidence and testimony - but there should be only a handful of police-power wielding federal agencies at most, and their staffing levels should be closely monitored at that.

Most Federal employees are prohibited from carrying even with a CHL at work anyway - so this is not a stretch. Hell, they're not even allowed to have a firearm in their car in many/most circumstances. Your typical BLM or Forest Service personnel are not allowed a sidearm, or even a rifle to take care of wild animals. A friend of mine is a federal corrections officer - they can't carry except during limited duties. He deals with known felons all day long, unarmed save for OC spray and a radio. No gun, no baton, no knifes. Postal carriers aren't allowed to be armed, and they wind up in the shat-holiest places, and have to deal with animals on two and four legs - they're issued pepper spray.

Most BLM or Forest Service rangers are not the LE variety, the ones with guns and "authority" - they're more of badge wearing custodians and talking fleshy information kiosk variety. They keep the wild lands groomed / cleaned up and inform tourists and visitors of the area's history or significance, while others collect park use fees, etc.

Did you know that NASA has it's own SWAT teams and it's own police force? What the hell for, to arrest Spock? Are they going to give Mork a speeding ticket? And really, they need a tactical team? This is another agency that could trim away its police agency and have protective service covered by the Federal Protective Services.

The only Fed police agencies I can see a real need for are the FBI, the Federal Protective Services, and the US Marshal Service. The FBI can handle all of the investigations of crimes, FPS should be able to handle the job of maintaining security for federal property and personnel (I would even include the President - roll his SS body guards into the FPS and strip the treasury of it's police powers) and the USMS will deal with the transportation and recovery of inmates/fugitives like they do today. That's only three agencies. If you want to stretch things - the Parks Service, Forest Service, and BLM could have shared "Parks and Wild Lands Rangers" to patrol their properties/lands, although I would argue that the job could be handled by FPS.

Yes, I realize that these agencies would be larger than their current forms, but over all, the job could be done by fewer police than we have now, with far fewer highly paid administrators, without duplicating the efforts or abilities of other agencies, and without so many tactical teams. You don't need sniper overwatch and guys in plate carriers with automatic weapons to round up cattle, or arrest one man for sawing down the barrel of a shotgun, and we certainly don't need them setting fire to buildings full of children and women. They don't need to use tactical teams to take small immigrant children away from non-violent family members. But they've got the teams - and so they use them. They've got to justify the expense and manpower, and they've got to try out their toys once in a while.

And not to take things too far off the rails - but I also think that all law enforcement agencies and agents should have to follow the same gun laws laid down for the people - magazine restrictions, firearm type restrictions - if the local populace can't have it - neither should the police. I don't care if it scares them, let them whine about being "out gunned" by the big bad criminals - what's good for the goose should be good for the gander. If "we the people" don't need automatic weapons - the cops sure as hell don't. As many a democratic mouthpiece has said - leave the automatic weapons on the battle field and in the hands of the military - and I would lump in the armored personnel carriers, MRAPs and the like in there too. Let the government's agents experience the same plight as the common man. If a state has a ban on semi autos - fine, let the cops carry revolvers, lever guns, and pump shotguns. No SBRs or SBSs either, if the state or locality disallows them for "the people." If a state says "10 rounds max" - the cops should be held to the same (and in case it's not clear, this should include the federal cops, too.) If a state won't allow JHP's for the citizenry - the cops should be toting soft points or wad cutters or FMJ too - as stupid as that is. And in the case of New Jersey - law enforcement should be required to carry "Smart Guns" just like the citizenry is, if the smart guns start actually getting sold.

The government is supposed to serve us, we're not supposed to serve them. All the build up of their police agencies with tactical units, and treating everyone like we're terrorists sure seems to be their way of telling us who serves who.

<broken link removed>

"A May 7th solicitation by the U.S. Department of Agriculture seeks "the commercial acquisition of submachine guns [in] .40 Cal. S&W."

Because their commando cowboy tactical ninja rangers NEED automatic weapons to deal with all those horrible ranchers and recreationalists that may endanger some stupid desert tortoise, or try to hinder deals with foreign solar energy companies...

<broken link removed>

"A May 7th solicitation by the U.S. Department of Agriculture seeks "the commercial acquisition of submachine guns [in] .40 Cal. S&W."
And what goes with machine pistols you ask?
Why, Ballistic vests of course:
https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=9dfebeda308f15074b832bcf24bfcb92&tab=core&_cview=0
Armed with select fire weapons and armored with the latest version of ballistic vests, the forest rangers, school lunch administrators and dairy inspectors headed out for a days work,...................

This needs to be stopped somehow,... And soon.

When the bunny inspectors get a swat team, I am definately gonna have to consider moving.

[1] http://goo.gl/AAAbQL

The bunny inspectors are a real thing - you pay for them. The officials then do stupid stuff to justify their jobs. If you are a magician - you have "injections, inspections, detections, neglections and all kinds of stuff "[2] But, if you torture bunnies by feeding your pet snakes, you are good to go.

[1] Jerry Pournelle
[2] Arlo Guthrie

"Listen here, you little brat, and take a look at this machine gun . . . Put the hamburger back and take the tofu. You will learn to like it or go to the re-education facility!"

Sheldon

As flawed as TSA may be, many of the private contractors that conducted airport security were, in the main, doing a really bad job of it. How bad? 9/11 hijackers passed through them. For example. Remember?

Since the Federal rollout of TSA I can't think of a single commercial airline hijacking taking place on a USA-originating flight. Unless I missed some, it looks like not a bad record... nor just a coincidence.

(full disclosure: I don't now, nor have I ever worked for TSA, however I was a Lockheed consultant to them during the setup phase in 2002, so speak from a small measure of experience.)

ETA spelling.

Come on guys, how do you think they justify these units? By buying 1.5 billion rounds of "HOLLOW POINT BULLETS" to keep the lowly subjects ( who are armed) from revolting and taking baking their country!!!
It's all in the name of safety....

So it seems pretty clear by this statement you have absolutely no clue how government contracting works. A "firm fixed price/indefinite delivery" contract gives the agency soliciting the contract the right to buy the quantity of material in the contract over the term, at the price agreed to. This would be like me saying "I want to buy up to 10,000 gallons of gasoline, at $X/gal at any point over the next 5 years". Chances are, I will never buy 10,000 gallons of gas, but if I did, I have locked in a price and I won't pay more until I go over 10000 gals or 5 years has passed.

At the same time, 1.5 billion rounds only works out to being a few hundred rounds of ammo for each officer per year over the term of the contract, it's definitely more than needed for training, however it's woefully inadequate to wage any kind of protracted conflict against the american people who annually buy about 8 billion rounds. Department of Defense buys and uses over 2bn rounds per year, and at it's peak in 2005-2006 was using nearly 4bn. That's PER YEAR! not over 5 years.

Infowars, the people who originally put the story out, should not be considered a reliable source. Frankly, I tend to think they are more of a Psy-Op than many of the things they proscribe the government as having done. Are they funded by the CIA/NSA/Globalist illuminati? I don't know, but none of the stories I've read there hold up to much scrutiny and are meant to elicit a visceral reaction rather than a well-thought out and reasoned one.

via Glenn --

replace negligent for accident in the following:

IRS Agents As Bad With Guns As With Hard Drives. "According to a government audit, IRS Agents 'Accidentally' Discharged Guns 11 Times between 2009 and 2011. Some of those weapons discharges resulted in property damage or personal injury, claimed the report. In fact, agents accidentally fired their guns more times than they did intentionally, said the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration."

11 unintentional discharges of their firearms.

So on top of fearing an audit we now have to worry about being accidentally shot...Great!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top