JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had got a Lyman gen 6 auto powder dispenser, and it worked great for only a few sessions. Kept track of throw weights with a beam and digital scales.

Yes I followed all instructions and reset and recalibrate to many times.

So it got returned..... and got a RCBS chargemaster lite. I had high hopes for the Lyman, but discovered on U boob a another issue . The rubber bushings seem to gum up with ball and fine powder. And drag in the dispenser tube.....

I have not found any bad issues on U boob in the smaller RCBS CHARGEMASTER lite.
And I will be unboxing it and trying it out with some accurate #7 & Silhouette for Major 9mm.... since its soon damm crappy outside and NO dear I don' wanna go to the SPRING HOME AND GARDEN SHOW!
LOL

Hope to have better luck with the RCBS unit.

I dont have the Chargemaster lite... I have the older, bigger one. The only issue I have been warned about and experienced first hand before I was warned was that using Bullseye powder clogs up in the hopper and the gears so to not use Bullseye powder in the Chargemaster. I can only assume the same would hold true for the Chargemaster lite.

Bullseye in Chargemaster

My luck of the draw....

I don't mind it under charging by 1 or 2ths.
But when I see swings of 3 ths.... thats an problem.

Or... maybe you guys got lucky
LOL

Oh gonna bag out in the silo charge, not crazy about its reverse temp issues as i will be shooting matches in Nev and Idaho.

Elevation change I'm ok with... I already have a summer / winter gun, don' need a summer / winter load also.
LOL

As far as Bullseye goes, my RCBS Uniflow usually keeps the charges within one tenth of a grain.

It's also faster than an automated dispenser. Now extruded powders are a completely different animal. Those get auto dispensed and then hand weighed on a Gempro 250 scale.

Or hand thrown then trickled using the Gempro 250

Sorry about your experience. Does anybody make a decent powder thrower that works down to about 5.0 grains? I am thinking specifically about 9mm, .45 and the larger 15.0 grain charge throw .30 Cal. M1 Carbine.

As far as Bullseye goes, my RCBS Uniflow usually keeps the charges within one tenth of a grain.

It's also faster than an automated dispenser. Now extruded powders are a completely different animal. Those get auto dispensed and then hand weighed on a Gempro 250 scale.

Or hand thrown then trickled using the Gempro 250

Oh I agree... mine is also +/- 1th
But this is 2 different deals . Once I find the loads and powders I want. I Will set my uniflow and haul butt.

But doing load development the Old way as I have since 88 this is sooo much Faster!

These are just a small amount of what was done.
20180221_172244.jpg

Chargemaster 1500 works like a charm. Got it in a buy green, get green RCBS promo this past fall. $299 with a 100 credit card in return. Best $199 i've spent in a long time.

Am I the only one that likes the Hornady powder measure? I have both it and a Uni-flow, I think the Hornady is more consistent, smoother running, holds more powder, and is way easier to empty after a loading session. And if you add the pistol drum, it'll handle those tiny charges. Don't get me wrong, I think the Uni-flow is a good tool, I just think the Hornady beats Big Green in this case.

Also, when did the GemPro 250 become the standard others are judged by? As digital scales go, it's rather over-priced, and only so-so in the accuracy/consistency ratings. Truth is, if I'm going to bother trickling to an exact charge, I'll use my balance beam scale, throwing a light charge then trickling up to target weight. I do have one of the small Frankford Arsenal digitals, the 750, not very expensive, and it's more than accurate/consistent enough for my needs. I mean, if a tenth doesn't make that much difference, why would you need to weigh to a hundredth? IMO, YMMV as always.

Dave

Am I the only one that likes the Hornady powder measure? I have both it and a Uni-flow, I think the Hornady is more consistent, smoother running, holds more powder, and is way easier to empty after a loading session. And if you add the pistol drum, it'll handle those tiny charges. Don't get me wrong, I think the Uni-flow is a good tool, I just think the Hornady beats Big Green in this case.

Also, when did the GemPro 250 become the standard others are judged by? As digital scales go, it's rather over-priced, and only so-so in the accuracy/consistency ratings. Truth is, if I'm going to bother trickling to an exact charge, I'll use my balance beam scale, throwing a light charge then trickling up to target weight. I do have one of the small Frankford Arsenal digitals, the 750, not very expensive, and it's more than accurate/consistent enough for my needs. I mean, if a tenth doesn't make that much difference, why would you need to weigh to a hundredth? IMO, YMMV as always.

Dave
I don't think the Gempro is any standard others are measured by. However, it DOES provide a way to measure more precisely than a scale that trips over only at the .1gr mark. The actual charge can be anywhere in there. And the auto dispensers call +\- .1gr accurate enough. That gives you a possible .2gr variance. Many of my load work ups only vary by .3gr to begin with.

So for me, it is a more accurate scale for a lot less money than the big name guys.

Not needed for everyone. Really depends on what you want and how anal you are.

Am I the only one that likes the Hornady powder measure?

Nope, I like it too. I have both and I agree, I get more consistent throws on the Hornady as well. Not that the green machine is bad, it just seems like the Hornady is a little smoother in operation which I think translates to the consistency discussion. And yeah... dumping excess powder at the end of a session is a breeze compared to the Uniflow.

I have a pair of the Hornady powder measures and have no complaints. When I bought the first one it was about price mostly since they are pretty normally $100 cheaper than the RCBS. You sometimes have to tinker with trickle speeds and such but it is very easy to do and they work great.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top