JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a Colt AR that started as a standard LE6920 (16" w/ 1 in 7" twist rate) and since then I free floated the barrel and did some other minor changes as well as a 4-12x p-223 scope. My plans for the rifle were to be a decent bench and coyote gun.

I played around with some 50 & 55 grain factory loads as well as some hand loaded 55 grain rounds loaded down to around 2800fps due to the higher twist rate. Anyways, I'm really disappointed with my accuracy out of the gun, I feel pretty lucky if I get 1 MOA out of the thing. I've been shooting since I was about 5 and can almost put them through the same hole with my .17 or .308 so I dont think my user error is all that bad.

With the tight twist I was thinking of trying some 69 grain Sierra Match Kings or Berger's. Anyone have any advice or think a heavier bullet may help?

A 1 in 7 requires heavy bullets for accuracy. 69 gr aint bad buy if you're going to spend the money for 69's ya might as well get the 77 gr which come to life in a 1 in 7 barrel... Just saying ;)

Oh, and were you shooting cheap 55 grain FMJ pills? They aren't noted for their accuracy out of anything.. regardless of the care they are loaded with.

I've had good luck with 55's in a similar barrel with reloads using 21.5 gr of Reloader 7. This is a published load from Sierra. I can get sub MOA for 4-5 shots in a minute, then the POI will shift as the light barrel heats. If you need sustained rapid fire for varmints, etc, you might look at changing to a longer, heavy barrel.

I agree, you need heavier bullets. That is why a lot of guns for commercial sales are 1/9 as it performs well with heavier (longer) and lighter (shorter) bullets.

The faster you spin the bullet, the more opportunities for any flaw or imbalance has to affect the trajectory. A great many standard grade bullets are flawed and flawed mainly in the jacket. The heavier (longer) bullets will not exhibit the effects of a small flaw as much as a lighter bullet will, given the same flaw. A 55 gr. bullet that is light .2gr on one side will be more affected than a 70gr. bullet with the same flaw. Standard grade hunting/plinking bullets are not held to the same tolerances nor are they constructed the same as the match bullets normally used in bench shooting. There are companies selling match/varmint bullets, too.

Ideally, we select a barrel twist rate based on the rifle's intended application (therefore the weight and type of bullet will be known) and before the gun is purchased. Unfortunately when we buy off the rack, we take what we can get and end up approaching the subject backwards, as in this case. IMHO premium bullets like Berger, Lapua, and others are pretty much required to get the best out of a fast twist barrel.

A few weeks ago, shooting factory UMC 55gr, the wife and I were dinging 20" steel at 400 yds with open sights out of my BCM A4 . The only modification (so far) has been free floating the barrel with a Daniel Defense Omega Rail. For those who do not know, all Bravo Company rifles to my knowledge are 1/7.

IMG_0384001_.jpg
(pic "borrowed" from BCM)

(pic "borrowed" from Daniel Defense)​

Maybe I will post pics later, if anyone wants to see them. But I'm getting ready for bed now. Sorry.

A few weeks ago, shooting factory UMC 55gr, the wife and I were dinging 20" steel at 400 yds with open sights out of my BCM A4 . The only modification (so far) has been free floating the barrel with a Daniel Defense Omega Rail. For those who do not know, all Bravo Company rifles to my knowledge are 1/7.

Interesting, it does not say on their site. If you look at your barrel, between the front sight and the flash hider it should be stamped with the twist rate.​

DirtyD;
No baseline, start from scratch.
I would:
Verify the barrel and shroud properly tightened to the receiver
Inspect the muzzle crown for imperfections, fix
Lap the barrel with CBL-4
shoot it (Fed XM193) from a firm rest (w iron sites) to set baseline
Mount the scope, shoot it.
If there isn't any change, your system is baselined using XM193.

shoot it (Hornady 75grBTHP) firm rest. H75BTHP baseline

If you don't use a chronograph, you are only guessing and hoping.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top