Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Disapointed with new (used) glock 19 accuracy.

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by CleverName, Aug 22, 2011.

1. CleverName

CleverName Southern Oregon Active Member

I found a used G19 in good shape for a good price so I snapped it up. it was made in '09. I got 6-7" groups @25 yards with Tula 115fmj. Wasn't surprised, figured it was the ammo. Today I shot Wal Mart Federal FMJ and it was barely on paper! I shot 4 rounds of Gold Dot for a 4" group @ 25yards which is a little better. The Tula was consistently left of POA and the Federal was right of POA. I am discouraged because I can get consistent groups under 4" @ 25 yrds with my glock 30 and g27.
    The Glock 19 is set up like my other glocks: Ameriglo defoor steel sights, ny1 trigger spring and 3.5 connector. The sights are tight and there is no leading in the barrel. I was shooting off a rest.
    Can anyone recommend some accurate 9mm for me to try? I'm hoping that I'm just not used to the new gun yet, and I'll get better with more practice, but I'm usually pretty good with Glocks. Any other suggestions?

2. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

I really like Fiocchi ammo, but it can be hard to find

3. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

Let someone else try it, could just be you.

robbalot and (deleted member) like this.
  4. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

It's a glock, what did you expect, a Sig Sauer?

5. CleverName

I was thinking of letting someone else shoot it and see if its better. Although I'm pretty good with my other glocks. This is my first 9mm though. Perhaps I've developed a flinch?
    The 4" group I got with the Gold Dot is acceptable accuracy to me for a cc weapon, but I was hoping to start competing with this gun in local matches, and I felt like it was just all over the place with FMJ.

6. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Oh no you didn't!

7. parallax

parallax eugene, or-gun Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

LOL and it begins...... :)

8. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

The only way to get any accuracy out of it is to let me shoot it. Where are you at? PM me and well get together.
    Mike

9. shoe

shoe Carlton, OR Member

S&B has always given me great results

10. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

Did you bench it? That will give you reliable results. Off-hand at 25 yards can be squishy on a bad day.

11. CleverName

Yes, all groups were fired off a bench. I'm going to try it again in the next couple days with some various ammo, see if I get better results.

12. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

I think it's your booger hook.

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  13. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

Perhaps you have developed a "flinch" in to your technique, while shooting a less powerful round out of a bigger heavier gun it takes you off target?

14. buick455

buick455 se portland Member

I would check to see if their is any abnormal wear on the barrel at its lock up points or in the chamber

I would also check to see if the barrel has a bulge from maybe a squib load and then a follow up shot sometimes they only bulge a few thousandths and the gun will function but not consistantly

other than that I would check how the bullet fits the chamber and how loose the barrel is at lock up as compared to your other glocks

One more thought if it is also stringing up and down be sure that you ammo isn't getting too hot baking in the sun that happened to me one time and drove me nuts until I got a new box from the cab of the truck the stuff was so hot I almost couldn't load it without getting burnt and it was stringing 8" at 30 yrds

15. cyclesarge

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed when a Glock's accuracy is a concern it is a G19 or G23?

16. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Buffalo Active Member

I think it's just you. I have nothing but good things to say about the 19 and 23. IMHO, that's the perfect platform for a Glock in 9 or 40.

17. cyclesarge

It's funny because I know 3 people personally that have had difficulty with the accuracy of their G19/23 but had much better success with other Glocks, one of them could barely hit the broad side of a barn with his G19 but absolutely LOVES the accuracy of his G20. He also did much better with my G26, than he did with his own 19, though I never shot the 19, so I couldn't tell you if it was him or the guns. The other two guys were, certified "Glockheads" that eventually sold their 23's because they couldn't stand the accuracy problems they were having.

18. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Buffalo Active Member

Yeah, I think it's just personal preference when it comes to the Glocks. I know people rave about the G30 and the 36 but they just don't fit my hands well. My pinky gets pinched by the gap between the frame and the mag base plate. It pinches the crap out of my pinky. almost to the point where it will break the skin and draw blood.

19. CleverName

I have a 23 with ok accuracy but my g30 and (believe it or not) my g27 are incredibly accurate.

20. Hook686

Hook686 Northern California Active Member

Interesting in that I found the Glock 19 the most accurate 9mm I owned. It shot tighter groups at 10, or 25 yards than my S&W 3913, or my Walther P-38.