JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Are any of you a disabled person who participates in hunting and Fishing? Or, any other activity such as shooting, ect. I'd be interested in hearing about your experiance in these areas. Right now, I am trying to learn the laws concerning use of an atv as a mobility device.

Any thoughts?

Are any of you a disabled person who participates in hunting and Fishing? Or, any other activity such as shooting, etc. I'd be interested in hearing about your experiance in these areas. Right now, I am trying to learn the laws concerning use of an atv as a mobility device.

Any thoughts?

WA not OR but their are special exemptions in WA for a disabled hunter. Like you can have a loaded long gun in/on a vehicle. This restriction is F&W and Long guns only. Does not effect your handgun, CPL or not if you are doing some outdoor recreation.

I have a 2010 Polaris Ranger EV. Side by side seating, can be street legal...very quiet, true 4 wheel drive (actually selectable...Normal ops is with open rear diff and is 1 wheel drive, locked rear diff is 2 wheel drive, and locked front and rear diffs, true 4 wheel drive...however, with the front and read diffs locked, it becomes a bit difficult to steer if you are not a something slippery). I see I forgot to state..the EV is plug-in electric, not gas.

The EV is a bit expensive...and range limited... They say 50 miles, but that is a stretch...(but then I use mine mostly on my own property). 25 MPH top speed...not your average UTV. The bed dumps, has a pneumatic damper on it to help control it. It has a steering wheel like a car, I don't know if you can special order power steering or not if you need that. A lot easier to operate than a normal ATV, and you can take your designated hunter with you (or they can take you, depending on your disability)

Several I know of use them for turkey hunting.

I guess the only thing I could add is that unless you require an assistance device, the only thing you qualify for is the discounted tags. Of course that's no small thing, don't get me wrong. But you can't get special access for quads, or even put in for the disabled tag drawings, unless you need an assistance device.

At least that is my understanding.

I've learned that the department of justice defines a mobility device as anything that provides locomotion for a disabled user. Regardless of fuel used.

I don't think the DOJ's definition really means anything in this context. Because to get the WA permit you have to follow their definitions. Here is what they say.

Hunting of game birds and animals by persons with a disability.

(1) Definitions:
(a) "Hunter with a disability" means a person with a permanent disability who possesses a disabled
hunter permit issued by the department
. A hunter with a disability must have all required licenses, tags,
permits, and stamps before hunting.

(b) "Disabled hunter permit" means a permit, card, or endorsement to a license issued by the
department to any person with a permanent disability who applies to the department and presents such
evidence as the director may require showing that the applicant is a person with a qualifying disability
Upon approval of the application, the department will issue a vehicle identification placard. A designated
hunter companion card will be issued with a hunting license.

(h) "Person with a disability" means:
(i) A person who has a permanent disability and is not ambulatory over natural terrain without a lower
extremity prosthesis or must permanently use a medically prescribed assistive device for mobility,
including, but not limited to, a wheelchair, crutch, cane, walker, or oxygen bottle;

The way I read that is you have to get a permit issued by wdfw, which will only be issued if you meet wdfw's criteria. And their criteria requires a medically prescribed assistance device. I have a back injury with nerve damage in one leg. While I can manage to get quite a few miles back on logging roads and such, there is no possible way for me to get an animal back out that far. Because I am ambulatory across natural terrain and do not require a medically prescribed mobility device, I don't qualify for a disabled hunter permit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying their rules are right or wrong. That's just the way me, and my Dr. interpreted them. Oh, your Dr. has to sign off on the form.

<broken link removed>

I don't think the DOJ's definition really means anything in this context. Because to get the WA permit you have to follow their definitions. Here is what they say.

Hunting of game birds and animals by persons with a disability.

(1) Definitions:
(a) "Hunter with a disability" means a person with a permanent disability who possesses a disabled
hunter permit issued by the department
. A hunter with a disability must have all required licenses, tags,
permits, and stamps before hunting.

(b) "Disabled hunter permit" means a permit, card, or endorsement to a license issued by the
department to any person with a permanent disability who applies to the department and presents such
evidence as the director may require showing that the applicant is a person with a qualifying disability
Upon approval of the application, the department will issue a vehicle identification placard. A designated
hunter companion card will be issued with a hunting license.

(h) "Person with a disability" means:
(i) A person who has a permanent disability and is not ambulatory over natural terrain without a lower
extremity prosthesis or must permanently use a medically prescribed assistive device for mobility,
including, but not limited to, a wheelchair, crutch, cane, walker, or oxygen bottle;

The way I read that is you have to get a permit issued by wdfw, which will only be issued if you meet wdfw's criteria. And their criteria requires a medically prescribed assistance device. I have a back injury with nerve damage in one leg. While I can manage to get quite a few miles back on logging roads and such, there is no possible way for me to get an animal back out that far. Because I am ambulatory across natural terrain and do not require a medically prescribed mobility device, I don't qualify for a disabled hunter permit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying their rules are right or wrong. That's just the way me, and my Dr. interpreted them. Oh, your Dr. has to sign off on the form.

<broken link removed>

There are other diabilities not listed...like legally blind....Yes, they will issue a disabled hunters permit to a legally blind person.

True, but I don't believe he will be driving an ATV if he is blind =p

I also believe they only issue the mobility placard for lower extremity. Kind of like the wife can't get one for her shoulders, but she can get a crossbow exemption.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

The ADA American disability Act defines Disability, and gives information on what government entities must do to comply.
If a person has a permanent disability that prevents him/her from walking, the disabled person can use any device that provides locomotion, regardless of the fuel used. Electric, gas, manual labor, ect. The only exception is a wilderness area.
Of course, it must be a safe area to use a mobility device. You couldn't use an ATV in the mall, or a freeway. The use area also must be open to the public. I would like to hear from other disabled persons who hunt, fish, or get out and enjoy the great outdoors.

Don't get me wrong, I don't pretend to be an expert. Just letting you know my experiences, having already tried myself.

I was hoping we could get an ATV pass. Unfortunately not though, so we are stuck having to stay within a mile or so of the hardball. That's about as far as I think we would be able to realistically get deer out.

Don't get me wrong, I don't pretend to be an expert. Just letting you know my experiences, having already tried myself.

I was hoping we could get an ATV pass. Unfortunately not though, so we are stuck having to stay within a mile or so of the hardball. That's about as far as I think we would be able to realistically get deer out.

I remember when I was a kid, old man Halvorson (long dead) had lost his right leg in WWII and had a wooden leg. He loved to hunt and would go until that stump was just bloody. I have wonder if he would have qualified?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top