JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Kinda fishing here, I'm disabled ( both wrists are fused) and one shoulder is shot. So just holding a rifle for any length of time is taxing. Contemplating building the lightest short/ med range bolt action rifle I can. Was wondering if there was any info out there on action weights. i.e. mauser vs Remington etc. I get the synthetic stock/ carbon fiber avenue but trying to consider weight cutting at the core. Any thoughts?

What caliber? Lightweight actions carbon barrels and such are all very doable and things can get light these days. However if you are considering losing weight for ease of handling, I'm curious to what your looking at in terms of caliber. As some of these new light weight guns kick like mules in big calibers. With modern breaks it gets better. I've shot a 6.5 that weighed nothing and the break made it feel like 22.

Example.

With a light stock something like that would be right in your neck of the woods.

Kinda fishing here, I'm disabled ( both wrists are fused) and one shoulder is shot. So just holding a rifle for any length of time is taxing. Contemplating building the lightest short/ med range bolt action rifle I can. Was wondering if there was any info out there on action weights. i.e. mauser vs Remington etc. I get the synthetic stock/ carbon fiber avenue but trying to consider weight cutting at the core. Any thoughts?
Difficult to make realistic suggestion until caliber (s) are known.
😳
Best,
Gary

Interesting points brought up, and ones that myself and my ego have had some long conversations about. Have beat the brush and pounded the canyons for decades, I'm 64. Carried a custom .308 Norma magnum from '76 ( high school graduation gift from my dad) until mid '80s then a Zowie Skinner custom 7mm mag (gift from grandfather) until dad gifted his custom 300 weatherby mag one Christmas. I realize those long shot/ huge canyon all day pack out remote hunt days are over. Sigh.. Thinking 270wsm so can still do elk..

I have a Grayboe Trekker stock. 26 ounces. You mentiomed you have looked at stocks, but even most carbon stocks weight more than the Trekker.

Seems like you might save 6-8 oz with a titanium action.

I guess I would look to a shorter, thinner barrel too.

Still one of the Lightest is TIKKA T-3 Lite, and with a carbon stock, you can get the weight down even more!
They don't list the weight, but they are sub 6 pound!

Short of a factory Tikka T3 lite, I'd look into something like the pork sword if the budget allows.

Screenshot_20221117_140936.jpg

And while on the subject, I'm not an AR guy but being in the position I'm now finding myself, what does a lightweight AR platform weigh in at?

And while on the subject, I'm not an AR guy but being in the position I'm now finding myself, what does a lightweight AR platform weigh in at?
I can't help you with the weight, but honestly with 114 passing it may be in your best interest to go buy an AR lower while you figure out what you want to do.

In addition to hi-tech materials, something that could help;
Holding long things out in front of you magnify the the weight applied on you (calculatable in foot pounds) so the shorter you can accept the rifle and barrel, (the closer you can keep it to your body) the less leverage it will have on your hands and body.

Tripod or shooting sticks may be helpful too albeit inconvenient depending on your needs..

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions and support. Gives me several avenues to pursue in a build or even just a flat out purchase. As for the whole bi pod, tri pod, trigger stick issue that is really a tough one. With elk sometimes you get a chance to peruse a herd and have the time to set up the shot with said gear. I personally have killed all my bulls snangled up in the brush from 30 to 450 yards using a wad of moss or vine maple branch. Now mature blacktails that split second you get is for getting the crosshairs on and silently sliding the safety off and no time for much else so don't see that gear being anything but extra weight...

FB_IMG_1450243810866.jpg 0711201539a.jpg

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions and support. Gives me several avenues to pursue in a build or even just a flat out purchase. As for the whole bi pod, tri pod, trigger stick issue that is really a tough one. With elk sometimes you get a chance to peruse a herd and have the time to set up the shot with said gear. I personally have killed all my bulls snangled up in the brush from 30 to 450 yards using a wad of moss or vine maple branch. Now mature blacktails that split second you get is for getting the crosshairs on and silently sliding the safety off and no time for much else so don't see that gear being anything but extra weight...

View attachment 1314302 View attachment 1314303
As a follow up my Winchester model 88 got too heavy so worked up a trade deal for a axis in .308 that is only 7.38 lbs and that is what I've been using last couple seasons, just trying to go even lighter...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top