JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can a dirty can(heavily leaded) change poi? 22lr suppressor never cleaned since bought prolly 5-7k rounds of various ammo.

I was at tricounty gp range shooting at 100yds then I put the can on, and couldn't see impact. Went to the lowest zoom on my scope still couldn't see impact. Guy next to me said my bullet was hitting the sidewalk at the 50yd line, he wasn't lying

Rifle I was shooting savage fvsr bolt action.

Can a dirty can(heavily leaded) change poi? 22lr suppressor never cleaned since bought prolly 5-7k rounds of various ammo.

I was at tricounty gp range shooting at 100yds then I put the can on, and couldn't see impact. Went to the lowest zoom on my scope still couldn't see impact. Guy next to me said my bullet was hitting the sidewalk at the 50yd line, he wasn't lying

Rifle I was shooting savage fvsr bolt action.
An end of the suppressor baffle strike will do that. Hopefully you aren't using a crush washer with your can.

My Elite Iron 6" Echo .22rf cans easily come apart for needed cleaning. The baffles are very precise. So far no baffle strikes.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code and NFA Laws and all BATFE rules apply.

There might be some build-up between the barrel and suppressor which causes a misalignment. This has caused my POI to shift by a few inches at 50 feet. Although it is hard to imagine that much of a shift without baffle impacts.

My Gemtech Raptor II is not meant to be cleaned and it is claimed to be good for 175K rounds.

This from the Gemtech website: "As a general rule (and contrary to popular opinion), suppressors have a longer life is no attempt is made at cleaning."

I would guess that many cleaners/solvents may have negative impacts on the various alloys used in most silencers.

-E-

Pretty difficult to destroy 100% stainless steel construction. One can pop apart all the baffles for scrubbing but so far I have seen no reason to do so. Full auto rated but not relevant since the prime user is the heavily modded Ruger 10-22 registered SBR used to search and destroy all those rogue dangerous aluminum cans plus the rare and so far non sighted summer time garden destroyers.

The scary ones including moles, gophers, mice, pack rats and a few bunnies, :)

Suppressor use itself can change poi.

Im thinking heavily leaded, might equate to blast chamber area caked up to the point it affects gasses on bullets immediate exiting of barrel. IE, acting like a messed up crown. Throwing it off its coarse.

CLR (calcium/lyme/rust) cleaner bath for a few hours cleans baffles good as new. DO NOT USE WITH ALUMINUM BAFFLES.

My Gemtech Raptor II is not meant to be cleaned and it is claimed to be good for 175K rounds.

This from the Gemtech website: "As a general rule (and contrary to popular opinion), suppressors have a longer life is no attempt is made at cleaning."

I would guess that many cleaners/solvents may have negative impacts on the various alloys used in most silencers.

-E-
I have a hard time with this one. I've seen sealed pistol cans essentially become paper weights filled to the brim with gunk. No way in hell they are performing well once 50% filled with gunk.

I purposely did not clean my rimfire can, it's blast area was damn near 50% from the internal wall to the center bore caked with lead and gunk. A near 50% loss in volume in the most important baffle area. It got noticeably heavier, and noticeably louder over use. I had to take a pick to it for nearly an hour to get it all out. I could of soaked it, but the cerakote would of come off too.

I have a hard time with this one. I've seen sealed pistol cans essentially become paper weights filled to the brim with gunk. No way in hell they are performing well once 50% filled with gunk.

I purposely did not clean my rimfire can, it's blast area was damn near 50% from the internal wall to the center bore caked with lead and gunk. A near 50% loss in volume in the most important baffle area. It got noticeably heavier, and noticeably louder over use. I had to take a pick to it for nearly an hour to get it all out. I could of soaked it, but the cerakote would of come off too.

I don't know Reno. I'm not in the business of developing or selling suppressors so I'm not in a position where I can tell Gemtech that they are off their rocker.

I would however think it a fair assumption that they have seen their fair share of cans damaged from well intentioned cleaning and they do advise against the use of non- jacketed bullets.

-E-

Rimfire ammo, especially 22LR is incredibly filthy. A dirty can on a rimfire definitely effects accuracy. Clean every 500-1000 rounds for best results in my experience. Your can may be too far gone at this point with as many rounds as you have put through it without cleaning it. Contact the manufacturer of your silencer/suppressor and see if they offer a warranty/cleaning service for your misbehaving muffler...

I don't know Reno. I'm not in the business of developing or selling suppressors so I'm not in a position where I can tell Gemtech that they are off their rocker.

I would however think it a fair assumption that they have seen their fair share of cans damaged from well intentioned cleaning and they do advise against the use of non- jacketed bullets.

-E-
Definitely true. I can only imagine some of the things manufacturers get back.

I wish I took pictures on how dirty the baffles were, the minute I saw how caked up it was my mind shifted on how to clean this thing.

Anyway, the blast chamber was pretty much non existent 2nd, 3rd chambers was almost full and the rest wasn't bad but the last chamber next to the end cap was pretty full also.

Never gonna let it get this bad ever again...

Hopefully this remedies my poi problem.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads