JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for some insight from the more experienced amongst us. I'm new to loading so my supplies are fairly limited. I made loads for my 30-06 and 7mm rem mag, using the same powder (imr 4350) but after firing, I noted the inside of the 7mm brass is black like diesel exhaust but the 30-06 isn't any dirtier than I'd expect. Both used Winchester primers. What's the deal?

What's their relative pressures at your given powder load?

Could be a more complete burn.

That's not a question I can answer with confidence. I could give you a rough idea maybe, but I don't have any kind of equipment to measure that

No definitive answers at least means I didn't mess up horribly and for now, that's good enough for me. I'll look more closely at my loads and see if the trend continues. Thanks, all!

No definitive answers at least means I didn't mess up horribly and for now, that's good enough for me. I'll look more closely at my loads and see if the trend continues. Thanks, all!

i have not loaded rifle, so.....Does the dirty powder fill the case completely? I've noted in handgun loading that some powder that has less case fill in some rounds burns dirty(er), and rounds where there is more case fill burns quite clean. Example. HS-6 burns quite clean in 9mm and .40 but not so clean in .38 or .45 acp. Does the same thing happen in large rifle cartridges?

That's a good thought. I know I don't load to full case capacity, because I shake my rounds as an audible measure that they're all the same. The '06 I loaded definitely had greater volume taken up by the powder and the cases are cleaner.

Unburnt powder my opine, probably the lighter 7mm is exiting the barrel before a complete burn faster than the heavier 06
I've used a lot of IMR flavor 4350 over the last half century and still have some from the 70's I use for comparison of the new stuff I buy without much notice, so I vote out "old stuff" at least for one of the reasons.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top