JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I tested out some 45acp I just reloaded, and I shot about 100-150 rounds. I notice that my gun is super filthy. I use w231 @ 5.2 grains, oal is set to 1.260 but varies 1.257-1.263. Does crimp have something to do with it? In my book is says little to no crimp, and I have a somewhat light taper crimp.

I reloaded with HP38(w231) for a while. I still keep it and have no problem with it, but I used it in the beginning as a do-it-all pistol powder and it works great. Except that it is dirty. I stopped using it in 1911's and lately have only used it in a Ruger KP345. Your crimp may help, but very little. I would say that if your crimp was allowing the blast to "dirty up" your gun it would adversely affect accuracy and velocity. I use Titegroup in .45's nowadays and lot's of folks use Bullseye. HP38 allowed me to load my two main loads, .45 and .357 mag. I now use Titegroup and Universal for those calibers, but I keep several pounds of HP38 on hand for trade or as a "backup" in case I run out of other powders. Also, dropping your OAL to 1.190-1.200 may help. That's where I seat mine. Good luck. Kip.

I reloaded with HP38(w231) for a while. I still keep it and have no problem with it, but I used it in the beginning as a do-it-all pistol powder and it works great. Except that it is dirty. I stopped using it in 1911's and lately have only used it in a Ruger KP345. Your crimp may help, but very little. I would say that if your crimp was allowing the blast to "dirty up" your gun it would adversely affect accuracy and velocity. I use Titegroup in .45's nowadays and lot's of folks use Bullseye. HP38 allowed me to load my two main loads, .45 and .357 mag. I now use Titegroup and Universal for those calibers, but I keep several pounds of HP38 on hand for trade or as a "backup" in case I run out of other powders. Also, dropping your OAL to 1.190-1.200 may help. That's where I seat mine. Good luck. Kip.

Question, how does going shorter help? Minimum oal in my book for fmj rn is 1.230.

I've found 231 to be clean in a full size 1911? I'm using 5.6 with a 200gr JHP, oal at 1.225. that is what the Lyman book gives for minimum charge.

Mike

I agree about 231 being dirty. Sad part is I have 8lb jug sitting here. I have gone to Titegroup for most of my pistol shooting. Nice, clean and works well. Major pluses since I run suppressed a lot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top