Dirty gun

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by IheartGUNS, Apr 7, 2012.

1. IheartGUNS

IheartGUNS
    WaCo

I tested out some 45acp I just reloaded, and I shot about 100-150 rounds. I notice that my gun is super filthy. I use w231 @ 5.2 grains, oal is set to 1.260 but varies 1.257-1.263. Does crimp have something to do with it? In my book is says little to no crimp, and I have a somewhat light taper crimp.

2. unklekippy

unklekippy
    In The Mountains Near Sprague River

I reloaded with HP38(w231) for a while. I still keep it and have no problem with it, but I used it in the beginning as a do-it-all pistol powder and it works great. Except that it is dirty. I stopped using it in 1911's and lately have only used it in a Ruger KP345. Your crimp may help, but very little. I would say that if your crimp was allowing the blast to "dirty up" your gun it would adversely affect accuracy and velocity. I use Titegroup in .45's nowadays and lot's of folks use Bullseye. HP38 allowed me to load my two main loads, .45 and .357 mag. I now use Titegroup and Universal for those calibers, but I keep several pounds of HP38 on hand for trade or as a "backup" in case I run out of other powders. Also, dropping your OAL to 1.190-1.200 may help. That's where I seat mine. Good luck. Kip.

3. IheartGUNS

IheartGUNS
    WaCo

Question, how does going shorter help? Minimum oal in my book for fmj rn is 1.230.

4. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

I've found 231 to be clean in a full size 1911? I'm using 5.6 with a 200gr JHP, oal at 1.225. that is what the Lyman book gives for minimum charge.

Mike

5. Nwcid

Nwcid
    Yakima and N of Spokane

I agree about 231 being dirty. Sad part is I have 8lb jug sitting here. I have gone to Titegroup for most of my pistol shooting. Nice, clean and works well. Major pluses since I run suppressed a lot.