JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I hit the mother load Saturday morning and then again in the evening at the honey hole pit...:D

38#s of brass!!!:eek::eek::eek:

This is about 3/4 of it sorted... and yes there was more than 200 dirty cases in the mix.:s0001:
I figgered there was over 2500 223/556, couple hundred 308, 1500 9mm along with 10mm, 38/357, 45acp, 40S&W and (1) 458 Socom. o_O
Jebus, lots of freedom boolits were fired this weekend...

View attachment 718489
That's quite the score!

I replaced all my corncob media with walnut fine 24 grit from HF (yeah yeah, flame me in a PM please). I added a cap full of mineral spirits to cut down on the dust, which is way worse than the corn cob media ever thought of being.

I had some dingy dirty brass from my recent pickings from the honey hole pit so I decided to follow some advice and leave it in for a day. I only ran it like six hours and they came out looking new.

The tub on the left are the dirty ones, the tub on the right are the clean ones. The lighting in my shop is atrocious but I will tell you that looking through my own eyes, they look spectacular.
:s0001::s0001::s0001:

1B87C934-5463-40F0-B591-5BAD001BE435.jpeg

Granted there are a few that would definitely need the wet cleaning method to make new again but I am very happy with these.

Last Edited:
Toss in a used dryer sheet; it will cut down on the dust. And make it smell spring fresh. :cool:

elsie

That's a good suggestion and I have done that in the past. Definitely helped out.

I have since switched over to the "capful of mineral spirits" method. This for me at least seems to have worked the best so far at reducing dust.

Well I hit the mother load Saturday morning and then again in the evening at the honey hole pit...:D
38#s of brass!!!:eek::eek::eek:
I'm not overly ambitious at times but to spend the time/effort to gather up that much brass...
1. You get an atta boy from me.
2. I could do it if it was just sweeping up the floor on an indoor range..maybe????
3. Vacuuming.. pretty sure.
4. Telling the help to...Yup!
5. Threatening the kids..Oh yea! :)

Dan

brass and the chemicals put on them coupled with any that were/are left in the elements can get really nasty really quick and stay that way.

The softer nature of the dry media sometimes makes it hard to cut the filth which is where the other media can shine.

Glad they got spiffed up a little for you.

I'm not overly ambitious at times but to spend the time/effort to gather up that much brass...
1. You get an atta boy from me.
2. I could do it if it was just sweeping up the floor on an indoor range..maybe????
3. Vacuuming.. pretty sure.
4. Telling the help to...Yup!
5. Threatening the kids..Oh yea! :)

Dan

I'm of the mindset that if one sees more than just $$$ then its knowing that I'm saving someone else the trouble and heartache.:s0140:
Plus it does offset the cost of fuel, trash bags, dump fees and my time and by no means am I making anywhere near what I made at my first job 50 years ago. $1.25 + tips... :s0112::s0112::s0112:

brass and the chemicals put on them coupled with any that were/are left in the elements can get really nasty really quick and stay that way.

The softer nature of the dry media sometimes makes it hard to cut the filth which is where the other media can shine.

Glad they got spiffed up a little for you.

I figured Walnut media would be much better than CC and I can tell it made a big difference.
I'm just set in my ways with the dry method to start over. :)

For my pistol brass.....
Every once in awhile I'd treat my brass to a......
1) A wash in some dish soap w/ hot water. It's not like you're not washing dishes here. But, agitate the water a bit.
2) Drain and rinse. Then shake off the excess water.
3) Then, a soaking in a solution made with water and *Lemi Shine (or w/Birchwood Casey Brass Cleaner and water, instructions on the bottle). The brass would stay in there until I was satisfied (maybe, a full hour). Mind you that the brass doesn't have to glint in the sun to be GTG.
4) **Drain, rinse off w/water and thoroughly dry before reloading. Note that the primer pockets might need to be addressed.

*No exact mix ratio. Maybe, a tablespoon to a gallon of water.
**The Birchwood Casey Solution can be reused several times.

Aloha, Mark

PS....sometimes my rifle brass might turn a slight pink color.

Last Edited:
That's a good suggestion and I have done that in the past. Definitely helped out.

I have since switched over to the "capful of mineral spirits" method. This for me at least seems to have worked the best so far at reducing dust.

You can always do both. I haven't tried it myself but I may just give it a shot to see if it cuts down the dust even more.

elsie

Before I left dry tumbling for wet I used to set up my vibratory case cleaner outside or in an exterior doorway of the garage. Next to the unit I placed a 20-inch box fan blowing across the cleaner. I'd run the cleaner without the lid to cut down on noise as well as to allow the air flow from the fan to blow dust away from me, my work area and the cleaner itself. This helps cool the motor, keeps dust from building up in the windings of the motor and most importantly keeps the dust away from you and your lungs.

I used a large Dillon cleaner, and it lasted over two decades this way. I'm betting the cooling / cleaning effect of the airflow really helped that motor last.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top