JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would like to buy a dirt bike but not sure what to get.
I don't like to join a bunch of forums just to ask questions so I figured to try this firs.
I have riden (Is that a word) dirt bikes before but it has been years.
I am lokking to ride in the woods. Browns camp, Mt. hood, out by duffer. Nothing serious. Just want to go out and enjoy the woods.
I am 5'10, 190. Not sure what else to ad.
Thinking more of a 4 stroke. I do love the sound of a 2 stroke but I think for what I want a 4 stroke is better but not sure.
Looking to spend about 2k.
Thank you.

Four stroke is for putting around on, a two stroke will load up doing that. For your size a 125 would be plenty big enough and a Honda is what I would suggest.

For your budget you will definitely have to go with a used bike.

I assume you won't mind if the bike is not able to be plated for the street?

The major manufacturers (Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, KTM, etc.) all make decent bikes and there is a lot to choose from - but your budget will limit those choices - probably to the Japanese bikes which are more popular and less expensive.

Two things to consider first:

1) There are "dual sports". For Japanese bikes these are decent but less capable and heavier bikes that can usually be "street legal". In Oregon, for the most part, these are the only bikes you can get licensed/registered for riding on public roads. Very few non-dual sport bikes can be licensed for the street in Oregon.

Bear in mind that some of the places you may want to ride may require a license plate and registration to ride on the dirt roads if the road is "public" - e.g., many forest service roads.

For most of the Japanese manufacturers. the more capable off-road bikes are lighter, more powerful and have better suspensions. If you are willing to stay off public roads, trailer the bike to where you want to ride, then I recommend the off-road bikes.

2) Weight. Off-road, weight is the Great Satan. The lighter the bike, the easier it will be to ride. You can ride more places and more challenging trails with a lighter bike.

Examples of four stroke "dual sport" vs. off-road only bikes weight differences:

Honda XR250R - 240 pounds
Honda CRF250L - 320 pounds

Both four stroke. Two quite different bikes. Different frames, suspensions, engines, transmissions.

(With Honda, you can usually tell the dirt bikes from the dual sports, by the model designation - the dirt bikes often end with "R", the dual sports often end with "L").

Yamaha makes the YZ and WR lines in four stroke - very similar bikes, but the WR is street legal, heavier by about 20 to 30 pounds, and not as powerful. If you want a street legal trail bike, then I would consider one of the WR models.

----

Two stroke.

All else being equal (and it rarely is as the 2 stroke dirt bikes are usually designed more for racing or more hardcore off-road riding), the 2 stroke dirt bikes will be lighter, better suspended and more powerful for a given weight.

However, there are some issues.

Many of these are made for more experienced riders who want the greater power to weight ratio and ride more hardcore trails. Many are also made for short track MX races. Very few are made for the beginner or less experience rider, or someone like me at 60 years of age who wants to do more sedate riding (that said, in addition to my four stroke dirt bike, I do own a 2 stroke bike, but it is not a common two stroke - a Beta Alp 250 - a street legal trials bike).

Also, many of the two stroke bikes have been thrashed since they have been raced or at least ridden very hard.

So know what the bike is designed for and choose according to your riding experience and style - but remember, lighter is better.

Finally, budget for protective gear. Almost every time I have ridden off-road I have crashed - usually at low speed - but crashed nonetheless. I have been thankful many times for wearing good protective gear.

Work boots are not adequate for motorcycle riding - especially off-road - get good MX boots. Budget for a good light dirt bike helmet that provides plenty of ventilation, not a street helmet - off-road riding is hard work. Decent goggles too - a face shield will just fog up. Get good off-road gloves, armor (knee and shoulder at least) and light weight breathable off-road pants and a shirt - street gear is too heavy and hot.

True off-road riding (riding trails, not just dirt roads) is a lot of fun, IMO more fun than street riding. It is also much harder than street riding or riding on dirt/gravel roads.

Thank for all the help. I have 2k cash for the bike and 500 cash for helmet boots and gear. I have been thinking and saving for a year and I just wanted to pay cash and try not to go into anything without knowing what I need.
I have made that mistake before. Buy something and then you have to spend more because you forgot the other items you need.
I plan to put the bike in my truck so I didn't want a dual sport. Have a ramp and tie downs already.
Thanks for all the help. NWFA has it all.:cool:

Of the different brands, Asian or Euro, you will find Honda is the most popular, has the most dealers, the most aftermarket support and is easiest to get parts and service for.

Doesn't mean they are the best, but they are a "value" bike.

I personally prefer Euro bikes - Husaberg, KTM, Beta, Husqvarna, etc., but they are expens ive and dealer support is well behind the Japanese bikes, with the exception of KTM which is behind Honda but on par with or better other Asian brands.

The nice thing about the Euro brands is that many of their off-road bikes are available in a street legal form. This is my four stroke bike:

attachment.php?attachmentid=208414&stc=1&d=1244518937.jpg

I love me the Euro bikes as well, but while I am still in school those are out of the equation for me. As with Euro cars, parts and maintenance on them is much more expensive, and fewer people really know how to work on them.

Know that if you do go with a more modern liquid cooled bike, the upkeep, maintenance, and expenses will be greater than that of an old school air cooled bike. Another good thing to note is that when buying on the used market, the history of the bike is a huge factor in longevity of any given bike. The Xr series bikes are known for being bullet-proof, however, if you buy one from some guy who used it all day at the dunes and rarely changed the oil, the bike is not going to last long at all.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Dirtbikes are very addictive.

Get a 2005 crf250x. Understand how to maintain the valves through, shimming, air cleaner changes, and oil changes. Perfect bike for you.
The 450x is also a great bike. The crf150 and 230 are for the females.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

When I quit racing and started riding trails I had a Suzuki 250, than a Maico 400, then a Yamaha 360 for street and trail and finally a Yamaha TT500 engine in a Dick Mann frame. Naturally none of them were stock in the engine dept! The last Yamaha/Dick Mann was heavy but it sure did do the job, even better than the Maico
Also helps if one of your riding buddies is OR desert #1!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

I've got a 2004 Suzuki DRZ400 and love it. It's actually up for sale/trade. Back issues prevent me from riding it and wife says it needs to go.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top