JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Folks!

I wish to build my own LEGAL suppressor and only have a scattered understanding of the ins and outs of the process, as well as what works and doesn't. I've hit threads in forums, "solvent trap" vendor websites etc. I'm pretty sure I have most of what I need to know ... but you never know what you don't know so here's my question:

Is there a good, comprehensive source out there (book, website, ???, I don't care what) that covers all the details. By all the details I'm meaning the legal process, builds and how effective different builds are, decent sources for "solvent trap" parts and the necessary issues involved in converting these parts to a legal suppressor AFTER receiving the tax stamp.

I've searched this forum and others and have found a lot of good info piecemeal, but was hoping to find a comprehensive source to I can make sure I have not let some piece of knowledge slip through the cracks.

Thanks for any help!

PS: As earlier stated, I wish to follow all Federal, State and local requirements regarding this project.

Thanks for the link @Storminmormon5, I appreciate having it. All info in one place is great. I've done only a quick browse but it seems to be what I'm looking for. I especially appreciate that there are links to "solvent trap" providers. That will save be a bit of time messing with the search engine of my choice.

Nope, joined there myself a couple months ago, tons of excellent information. I have 4 from 1 cans in the works right now.
I read several threads last night. Thanks a freaking ton of information to try to process. Even the "Start here" and "Form 1 for dummies" threads were more than I completely understood

19B6E2E9-8C9B-474D-8A20-89B26337F566.gif

• Smart Money: don't buy any components until you have your stamp.
  • For Finger Print cards and mug shots, you need TWO copies per submission. One for the ATF background, one for your local sheriff.
  • The Serial Number and Identifying Information (i.e. what you engrave on it) that you put on your suppressor *must* be filled out in the Form 1. Mistakes in this are no big deal, but can cause a 1 month delay.

IIRC, I found this one very useful:

I have made a form 1 suppressor with a little machining assistance from a forum member. Here are the steps I followed

Bought a tube and end caps (one end not drilled, the 1/2 x28 was drilled and tapped)
Submitted E-File Form 1 - waited a couple of weeks, it came back approved.
Had it engraved with required info
Drilled end cap
Made baffles (you could buy them as well)

Went shooting.

Some people won't buy the tube before they have it approved, it's up to you. I just wouldn't make any holes in it until it is.

Good luck! My .22 sounds just as good as the commercial can I have, so it can be done. I pretty much just used that baffle design;)

I have made a form 1 suppressor with a little machining assistance from a forum member. Here are the steps I followed

Bought a tube and end caps (one end not drilled, the 1/2 x28 was drilled and tapped)
Submitted E-File Form 1 - waited a couple of weeks, it came back approved.
Had it engraved with required info
Drilled end cap
Made baffles (you could buy them as well)

Went shooting.

Some people won't buy the tube before they have it approved, it's up to you. I just wouldn't make any holes in it until it is.

Good luck! My .22 sounds just as good as the commercial can I have, so it can be done. I pretty much just used that baffle design;)
This is great info. I finished one myself. eForm is great way to go. with the buying of components you want to do what your comfort level is. I am in the midst of my second can build. It is a pre-order kit that out of Washington. (HOME | Shldmfg) not shipping until Nov 2nd. Filling the eform this coming week. looking at about a 30-45 day turnaround for approval. If you are on facebook there is a Form 1 Basics group that has so great files for all to see from filing how-to to what is clipping. ALWAYS GET YOUR PERMISSION SLIP BEFORE YOU DRILL.

One tid bit I learned the hard way was that you MUST submit the cover sheet with the fingerprints, even if they except them in Portland. I send my prints in with a draft copy of the Form 1 and they "coulnd't marry" prints to application, even though I sent both.

It took 2 weeks for the cover letter to show up because I was in the "research" phase and once I had gotten that I would have been home free...

They did refund my $200 and said start again.

One tid bit I learned the hard way was that you MUST submit the cover sheet with the fingerprints, even if they except them in Portland. I send my prints in with a draft copy of the Form 1 and they "coulnd't marry" prints to application, even though I sent both.

It took 2 weeks for the cover letter to show up because I was in the "research" phase and once I had gotten that I would have been home free...

They did refund my $200 and said start again.

The cover letter is all you need to send with your prints. The draft copy goes to your CLEO.

You dont need to wait to do anything. Buy the parts, file the form, no one cares. Until you do machining to the parts they're just parts.

Silencertalk.com is a good but seldom used resource with a wealth of information. Ive been a board member there for 14 years or so. You'll find a lot of good information there about actually building a silencer vs the solvent trap method.

Form 1 forum is a good spot too aimed more at the solvent trap crowd. They look at you funny when you bring up home machined stuff though.

As far as materials you live in the golden age of silencer parts. Get them before the door slams shut.

• Smart Money: don't buy any components until you have your stamp.
  • For Finger Print cards and mug shots, you need TWO copies per submission. One for the ATF background, one for your local sheriff.
  • The Serial Number and Identifying Information (i.e. what you engrave on it) that you put on your suppressor *must* be filled out in the Form 1. Mistakes in this are no big deal, but can cause a 1 month delay.

IIRC, I found this one very useful:

First off for the love of God don't do a paper form 1. Do an eform online . The only thing you send in besides the cover letter they email you when you complete the form is the fingerprint form set.

1. Why? Nothing illegal about buying metal parts. Dont drill anything until your form is approved. Otherwise buy metal things that are not silencer parts until you make them silencer parts your hearts content.
2.What? No. Two fingerprint cards go to the ATF. None to the sherriff.
3. Not really. The info you put on the form must be put on the silencer. Why does that matter? A lot of people get hoodwinked into making up a model name. Dont do it . Put N/A on the eform drop down section . Otherwise its a months long delay waiting for name approval. Where this relates to your comment is you can engrave whatever you want on the tube in addition to whats on the form. put N/A on the form and make up a name if it makes you feel good and engrave that word.

A heads up on fingerprints. Neither OSP nor Marion County Sheriffs dept are doing non-criminal fingerprints. I was told you MAY be able to get prints done in Linn County (Albany) or Eugene. Digital prints aren't accepted for a form 1. I ordered a fingerprint kit on Amazon and was able to get them filled in and sent. I've had a problem with my prints for a few years in that they're almost all gone. My prints on the pad just show the cracks and wrinkles in my fingers. They accepted the first set a few months ago, but those were taken by OSP several years back. We'll see what they say about the set I mailed yesterday.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews