JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Curious if someone that has extensive use and knowledge of several brands of progressive reloaders can give me a reason why I should not purchase a Dillon 550/650 for my first press?

Between myself and shooting partners we go through quite a bit of ammo and from everything I have read a single stage is just not going to do the trick. I understand a progressive is going to take time to learn and tweak and have no fear in doing that.

I have watched hours of youtube vids and read hundreds of reviews of the other manufacturers on midways website, especially on the Hornady LnL AP.

Other than the price I am not seeing how any other brand is superior.

Hoping somebody can verify or tell me I am full of it and there is a better product.

If it matters I am mainly a pistol shooter and don't intend on loading any rifle rounds but read that the 550/650 will make sure I am secure if I were to head that direction in the future.

Looking forward to fellow forum user input.

I have RCBS 2000 presses but that is because that is what I ended up with based on price when I bough the first one. When I got a second progressive it was another RCBS because of parts interchangeability. I have been very happy with mine.

Now with all that said Dillion makes an amazing product that is impossible to beat. One thing to keep in mind if you truly do a lot of reloading you will end up with and need more then one press. I have 2 progressives, 1 single stage, and 2 shotgun. Some times I wish I had a progressive set up for each of the main 3 calibers I load for then one for doing "other" batches. Even with progressives a single stage or two is nice for quick jobs or small batch work ups.

Along the lines of having multiple progressives this guys Dillon is interchangeable and has 3 other calibers sitting on his bench so he said he removes two pins slides one caliber out, installed the next turret with the other calibers dies and powder dispensor all set up. Another Dillon benefit?

YouTube

Link is screwy on this Kindle Fire.
Search youtube "reloading basics"
vid by Hicock045

Ffd to 25:30 and it shows him changing them out. Seems pretty slick.

Last Edited:
Mine has pre set shell plates and die plates also.

It still takes time to move them, then set you powder to throw the right charge. Some calibers you have to change between large and small primers. While in theory everything should be the same each time you change there can be some very minor variation. I just find it very handy to have my one set up for loading .223 and never had to change anything. If I want to run a few rounds or a lot I dont have to spend 5-15 min switching every thing out and making sure it is ready to go.

I load 8 different calibers with my 550B but still use a single stage for my .22-250, and misc. chores. On top of that, their customer service is second to none. Enjoy!

This, I load for mostly pistol and the 550B is great, but then I can laod 5.56 the progressive press way and they come out great. But then I can load my uncle's 30-06 on the 550B but i use it basically as a single stage.

To develope loads I use it as a single stage.

Had I bought Microsoft stock back in 1984 or so, I would have a 650 or 1050 for each of the main calibers and a 550B for my seldom used single stage rounds.

Pick and choose any color you want, nobody's opinion really matters. I was told dillon was the best, but decided to go hornady and couldn't be any happier.

I really like my 550b,have had it for years and years. I do read more posts about folks having problems with Hornady than with dillon,but to be honest blue is all i've owned. I think most reloaders start with,and then stick with one brand,which won't help ur quest much.
now,between the 550 and 1050 ...huge price difference,and I understand the bigger presses are harder to change over,and cost more for each caliber conversion requirements.
also,u can't just buy dies and stick them in a dillon like u can other brnds,u MUST have the proper shell plate,pins,and powder funnel too,an additional 40 bucks or so for each calibe.

confusing,ain't it ?

I went with the Hornady LNL and am quite happy with it.

My decision was based upon the net costs to me for the calibers that I would be loading and the switch-over times between them...I tend to only load a few hundred at a time.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with either the LNL or an XL650.

There are lots of good brands and good reloading presses available.. Several even out of business, ie: Pacific and Hollywood..
Dillion Makes really fine product, and have a great phone service team and good warrantee. Having said that, I started on a Dillion 550 many years ago. Thousand of $ollars later, having owned over 10 Dillion presses and still use 4 of them, for the hobbiest they work fine..actually great. the best of the best, Most importantly is when your in a bind, a call to: 800-223-4570 gets you some quick technical help and most times your problem is rapidly adjusted away.. my .o2c

I used to be "pistol only" as well, and used a pair of Dillon Square Deal B presses (one each for large and small primer). With pre-adjusted toolheads and powder measures for each common caliber I could switch off in about a minute. I've loaded somewhere around 30k rounds between those two presses (and one was bought used so who knows how many it has through it). Any time a part has worn out, Dillon has sent me a replacement immediately. I found that with a well set-up reloading area I could readily exceed the "rated" loading rate of that press. I learned reloading on an RL550, and also used a friend's Lee progressive. The Lee seemed to always need adjustments and tinkering to get it running right. The only downside of the RL550 was manual indexing.

Now that I have started shooting rifles as well, I picked up an XL650. As the others mentioned, you can have your toolhead completely set up for each caliber, so it is just a quick swap out to change calibers (especially if staying with the same primers). One trick I picked up from this forum was to have powder measure bars (not necessarily the whole powder measure) pre-set for each caliber. This works out well since I had spare large bars from the measures I have for my pistol loading, and all my rifle loads use a large powder bar. Now if only I could find ALL the unused large powder measure bars I have hiding in boxes somewhere!

Let's put it this way. There are lots and lots of people who bought a progressive from "X", "Y", or "Z" companies and have been heard to say "Why didn't I just buy the Dillon to begin with?"

Not that many people who buy a Dillon FIRST are heard to say the same.

It's one thing if you just don't have the money to buy a 550 or 650 to start with. It's totally a different thing to just be a cheapskate.

Dillon's been making trouble free presses for a long, long, time and their resale value is way up near the top when it comes to recovering your investment. Says something for the quality right there.

Well deadshot2 as you know,I'm one of those folks and sold my LnL and my 550 to get a 650.
And that's just MY money,not some shooting partners included.
Hey if you have some friends that will be using it too,have them buy the caliber changes to cut YOUR costs a little.

A competition shooter up here,has 6 550s so he doesn't have to change anything except between his and his wife's 38 cowboy loads.
And setting it up is pretty much the same as the single stage.But I'm sure I'll need to tweek the 650 some,like I tried with the LnL.

So you can take your time ordering a Dillon since they are so back logged right now they won't give any idea when you will get any thing.

But I do have a case feed!

After over 25 years of heavy use on a Dillon 550B, I am very pleased. I have worn out several powder throwers, primer systems, and broke the bottom pivot.
Dillon has been great about replacing any part. I never have had to return the broken or worn out parts they just send them. I have reloaded 10s of thousands
on my 550 and love it. I think the 550b is easier and cheaper caliber conversions than the 650. I reload for 5 different pistol calibers and 6 different rifle calibers.
A couple years ago I was helping a friend set up his new 550B and I noticed how tight and smooth it worked. I contacted Dillon and they sent me a shipping
container to return my press to them. They rebuilt and new paint and return it to me in 10 days! A complete new machine.

Just got done with a 1,000 round load of 9mm on my 550B. I have no experience of any other progressives, but I am knocking on the door of 10,000 rounds through the press since I got it in both 9mm and 223 and have had not problems at all. I am sure the next 10K will be as trouble free. If not, Dillon have a great warrantee.

Curious if someone that has extensive use and knowledge of several brands of progressive reloaders can give me a reason why I should not purchase a Dillon 550/650 for my first press?

Between myself and shooting partners we go through quite a bit of ammo and from everything I have read a single stage is just not going to do the trick. I understand a progressive is going to take time to learn and tweak and have no fear in doing that.

I have watched hours of youtube vids and read hundreds of reviews of the other manufacturers on midways website, especially on the Hornady LnL AP.

Other than the price I am not seeing how any other brand is superior.

Hoping somebody can verify or tell me I am full of it and there is a better product.

If it matters I am mainly a pistol shooter and don't intend on loading any rifle rounds but read that the 550/650 will make sure I am secure if I were to head that direction in the future.

Looking forward to fellow forum user input.

Sounds like you have your mind made up already. Dillon does have good stuff.... They use several of Lee's patents..:s0155: Sorry, had to throw a jab in there.
If serious output for ammo is your game, then yes, buy one. Please, for anything other than watching folks blow-crap-up, don't look to youtube for guidance....
If you want proof that Dillon makes serious equipment for high volume reloading, take a short drive and do a Nosler factory tour.
Watch the Dillon's they have lined-up making Nosler Custom ammo.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top