JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been reloading on a Dillon 550 for 5 months or so. Overall love it but I hate having to adjust the seater die when loading pistol with fmj or jhp; plus Im not a fan of the coke bottle look. is it worth it to go to Redding dies? Went to Forster seater for blackout.

So I've been reloading on a Dillon 550 for 5 months or so. Overall love it but I hate having to adjust the seater die when loading pistol with fmj or jhp; plus Im not a fan of the coke bottle look. is it worth it to go to Redding dies? Went to Forster seater for blackout.
I don't adjust between my HP and FMJ loads. I just set it to a length that worked for both and let it be. Same charge weight, same powder, only difference is bullet type and a slight variation on seating depth due to nose construction, but it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of things because it's still within acceptable parameters.

Dillon's are small base dies. Any other company that makes a small base die will give you the coke bottle look besides just Dillon. The small base dies just make the brass the minimum SAAMI spec so it will feed in most chambers.

No harm in experimenting with other brands.

Dillon does not make small based dies. They never did. I have tried in the past to have them make one or two custom small base dies for me. No GO. RCBS or Redding. I had to take a 30-06 small base and cut the mouth
back so the die came down a few thousands more on the base of 308's. Works good.

If you're not a fan of constantly adjusting the seater die and want to avoid the "coke bottle look" with FMJ or JHP bullets, switching to Redding dies could be worth it. They're known for quality and precision, so it might provide a more consistent seating process. Do some research and check out reviews to see if it aligns with your needs. Happy reloading

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top