JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, I just got a Dillon 650, and I ran into a little hang-up while trying to set up my dies. I had been using Hornady split die lock rings, which I think are the best, at least for single stage. The issue is with the clearance on the Dillon toolhead between dies. I don't have enough room to get a wrench on the larger Hornady rings. I suppose I could dig out my old RCBS rings, but should I just do it right and use Dillon rings, along with their 1" wrench to tighten them? That's what it's designed for, after all.

Additionally, would anyone know where I could get Dillon rings without having to call them and place an order? I want to start cranking out rounds immediately! Or, if anyone has Three (3) they could part with in sale or trade, that would at least hold me over until I can get more. Thanks!

Well, I just got a Dillon 650, and I ran into a little hang-up while trying to set up my dies. I had been using Hornady split die lock rings, which I think are the best, at least for single stage. The issue is with the clearance on the Dillon toolhead between dies. I don't have enough room to get a wrench on the larger Hornady rings. I suppose I could dig out my old RCBS rings, but should I just do it right and use Dillon rings, along with their 1" wrench to tighten them? That's what it's designed for, after all.

Additionally, would anyone know where I could get Dillon rings without having to call them and place an order? I want to start cranking out rounds immediately! Or, if anyone has Three (3) they could part with in sale or trade, that would at least hold me over until I can get more. Thanks!

Here's a little "work around" if your interested. There is limited clearance between dies when every die has a lock ring on it. If you were to put the lock ring on the bottom side of the tool head, on every other die, then you may have enough room for the wrench. I use a mixture of dies for some rounds I load on my 650 due to personal preferences with each die design. Dies other than Dillon, don't usually have enough threads so you can use the supplied lock rings on the top. Have to be secured from the underside of the tool head.

Give it a try. Also, your "exact location" is a little foggy. I do know that some stores stock Dillon Lock Rings. Adventure Sports in Lynnwood is one. Another used to be Sportsman's Warehouse.

As for calling Dillon, call early, have them ship them USPS Flat Rate, and you'll probably have them in two days without having to pay 2nd day UPS.

Thanks for the info. I am using RCBS dies, since that is what I was using prior to getting the Dillon. I don't think I can put lock rings under the toolhead on those. As for my location, I am in Vancouver, AKA Vantucky. I am pretty sure that Sportsman's or Wholesale or whatever they are calling it these days doesn't carry anything for Dillon. Looks like I just need to scrounge up some cash and get on the phone with Dillon.

I've got 20 of the older Dillon lock rings, they used to come with the Dillon dies before the new 1" ones came along I think they're 1 1/8". You're welcome to 3 of them for free, but I don't know if they'll help out, the clearance will still be tight.

Thanks for the info. I am using RCBS dies, since that is what I was using prior to getting the Dillon. I don't think I can put lock rings under the toolhead on those. As for my location, I am in Vancouver, AKA Vantucky. I am pretty sure that Sportsman's or Wholesale or whatever they are calling it these days doesn't carry anything for Dillon. Looks like I just need to scrounge up some cash and get on the phone with Dillon.

All you need is about 3-4 threads protruding below the tool head. I do this, using the supplied rings with Redding, RCBS, and Lee Dies on my 650. On the Lee Lock Rings I put the metal side against the tool head with the O-ring facing out. The O-Ring groove requires more threads to be exposed on the die due to the space taken up by the O-Ring.

It can be done. Give it a shot. Run the ram all the way up, run your sizing die (without lock ring) down until it just touches the shell plate and look at the number of threads exposed on top and on the bottom of the tool head.

Here is what I have done over the 40 plus years I have dealt with your issue. Set dies individually. I have a 450 and it is tight when all dies installed. No removable tool head. I just ordered a 550 because the 450 has been obsolete for over two decades, getting kind of sloppy, but most parts interchange with the 550. I will probably need to adjust my dies to work properly. Once die/ring is set to the tool head you are done forever.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top