JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Morning everyone. I keep fiddling around with the Dillon 650xl as I reload. I didn't want to add all the improvements available until I could convince myself they were really needed. Decided that I do want a primer stop switch for the machine. As others have discovered when a glitch happens it is a b_oetch to advance the stations without ending up scouring the floor for unused primers that escape. Yes, I now use the blue painter's tape around the "ski jump" to capture most of the dern escaping primers. Yet with a case feed or other malfunction happening during a run it is challenging to advance the shell plate without creating other issues. I really don't like issues when I am reloading :rolleyes:
A vendor on eBay [snowshooze] makes what looks like a simple fix for stopping the primer feed. I ordered one in red [warning color] and it is on the way to me. Imagining others out there already have one installed on their Dillon. Hope it works as planned. Easy install by using the same screw as the factory used for the primer feed. Heck, even I can change out one screw on the DIllon. Been pleased with the other upgrades I have already installed. We'll see. Pops

Let me know how it works... have the same complaint with the primer feed on my XL650.

What other upgrades have you done?

So far only two that were significant to me. Roto Cam Actuator and the Roller Cam Follower. Both added smoothness to the machine and practically eliminated the grease on exposed surfaces. I got my Dillon from the original owner and he used lotsa grease. Cleaned it up, added these two upgrades and I am happy with them. Yes, I will let you know how the primer stop switch goes. I have only flirted with the case feed stop switch as that has not yet been a problem. Blue painter's tape keeps the unused primers from escaping the "ski jump". LOL

So far only two that were significant to me. Roto Cam Actuator and the Roller Cam Follower. Both added smoothness to the machine and practically eliminated the grease on exposed surfaces. I got my Dillon from the original owner and he used lotsa grease. Cleaned it up, added these two upgrades and I am happy with them. Yes, I will let you know how the primer stop switch goes. I have only flirted with the case feed stop switch as that has not yet been a problem. Blue painter's tape keeps the unused primers from escaping the "ski jump". LOL

I like the idea of the reduced friction upgrades and the primer shut off.

Painter's tape is a God-send with these things. Should call it "Dillon's tape" haha.

Okey Dokey now. I got my primer stop switch from eBay [snowshooze] this afternoon in the mail. Arrived early no less. Took less than 10 minutes to install and it works perfectly. Now I can easily stop the primer feed with a simple click. I do recommend watching the youtube video by Bravo1xray on installation for those of us instructionally challenged. More to follow ...

Last Edited:
Okey Dokey now. I got my primer stop switch from eBay [snowshooze] this afternoon in the mail. Arrived early no less. Took less than 10 minutes to install and it works perfectly. Now I can easily stop the primer feed with a simple click. I do recommend watching the youtube video by Bravo1xray on installation for those of us instructionally challenged. More to follow ...

Sweet! Sounds worthwhile... I'll be ordering one. Appreciate the recommendation!

Ordered the "grand slam" kit from him. A smoother transition from station to station will be good.

Reloaded some 45 today. Thank goodness for the primer stop switch. I had 4! primer misfeed issues. Three of them were crushed in the primer pocket due to auto primer misfeed. One more loaded completely upside down and came out primer anvil exposed after seating! :eek: At least I could clean up the messes and not send lots of good primers down the ski jump. Anyhoo, its close to dinner time now. Happy Thanksgiving to All.

I reloaded about 350 rounds of 45acp yesterday. Ended up with a golf sized bruise on my right palm from the ball handle. :( Ordered a new roller handle from Dillon today! Still had 4 primers loaded on their side today and they were crushed during seating. That seems really odd. What is flipping them onto their side? Any guesses?

I reloaded about 350 rounds of 45acp yesterday. Ended up with a golf sized bruise on my right palm from the ball handle. :( Ordered a new roller handle from Dillon today! Still had 4 primers loaded on their side today and they were crushed during seating. That seems really odd. What is flipping them onto their side? Any guesses?
How much "jumping" around is the shell plate doing when it rotates? I know it can jar the powder up and out of the case of its bad enough.

As far as the bruised hand, I usually wear a thick leather glove when running several hundred rounds or more (thousands) to help decrease the possibility of a bruise or sore hand.

Reloaded some 45 today. Thank goodness for the primer stop switch. I had 4! primer misfeed issues. Three of them were crushed in the primer pocket due to auto primer misfeed. One more loaded completely upside down and came out primer anvil exposed after seating! :eek: At least I could clean up the messes and not send lots of good primers down the ski jump. Anyhoo, its close to dinner time now. Happy Thanksgiving to All.
The only time I ever had a problem with primers jumping around in the cup on my 550 was when the primer slide bar would hang up for a split second then snap forward into position. A little dry lube was a temp fix. Dillon sent me a new coated piece of metal, looks like a shim that goes between the primer assembly and the press. They told me it was not uncommon. I think the 650 primer assembly is the same as the 550, I think ): I would not be happy trashing as many primers as you have, might want to give Dillon a call. Good luck.

New roller handle ordered supposed to arrive this Thursday. Yay! I have gone back over the press with a jaundiced eye. Found several components that needed realigning and tightened. I will see during the next reloading session if all works as expected. Thanks Wayne for the thoughtful lead I followed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top