JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
don't know how much better it gets.
uhhhh.....yes Samantha it DOES get better....although I discovered watching the entire process occurring allATtheSAMEtime demands a different kind of attention than my previous notion.

One of the amazing confessions I've also heard more than once, is someone continuing to ignore the advantages of the machine design, and continue Model T reloading procedures. One buddy was a retired Submariner from a career in the nuclear fleet. He preferred to relax with the same deprimer/TV method, while always fussing at the range about whether he had enough ammo for the match.

stage 1 size/decap/bell mouth; while
Stage 2 sets primer/drops charge/
(650 Stage 3 does power level check)/
stage 3 (550) seats boolit
Stage 4 (650) seats; then they both crimp at last stage depending on your model;
I never could multi-task enough to watch anything but the production process.

Good luck in any case.

re The powder flakes, keep a chip brush and a can of compressed air handy or...

Started reloading at 11 in the '60's and haven't blown myself up yet. Just think how much better I would have done with supervision.:s0046:
I have an air compressor with an air squeezer handy, but I have to be very careful of the direction and amount of force behind the blast of air so I don't upset anything else.
Age 11 is probably one of the youngest ages I know of anyone starting to reload. Good for you.

My plan is to continue (for .223) to do a very careful job prepping, priming, throwing powder (by Model T methods). I'll start by using the 550 for seating and crimping, which takes me the most time.

One of the amazing confessions I've also heard more than once, is someone continuing to ignore the advantages of the machine design, and continue Model T reloading procedures.
I do it the way I do not because I'm an ignorant, knuckle-dragging troglodyte, but because it's what works best for me. I like to do it that way, and since I don't shoot huge quantities, I have plenty of ammo.

It's really not that much slower, either. With the new APP press I bought, I can size 1,000 pieces of pistol brass in maybe 45 minutes. I wet tumble and dry them, inspect them and scrap any junk. I've found that (for me) hand priming results in better consistency, fewer defects, and better confidence in the final product.

This is just what works for me. To each their own. I realize my way may not be very practical for those who load and shoot huge quantities of ammo. I won't criticize anyone else for doing it differently.

Hey sorry about throwing those SDB presses on this and horning in on your thread. I figured out how to do it all in the classifieds. 550 presses are awesome. I've used a friends and it is a very versatile machine.

The 550 is the ultimate utilitarian's press who wants to do volume, and have the option for many calibers.

Keeping a tool head set up for each caliber with its own separate powder hopper is the way to go. Some people get two 550's and leave one set up for small primers and one set up for large primers and just switch the discs for the brass and the pins for the brass as needed.

I started on a single stage, but will never go back.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top