JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I might be purchasing a rifle pretty soon. However I'm deciding between two different calibers (I know, how original. but, seriously) I am debating between .22-250 and .308. I want a flat shooter but I also want something strong enough for deer. Does anyone shoot deer with a .22-250?? Is the extra recoil worth it to bump it up to a .308?

I know the .308 is an excellent caliber but then again I could also use the .22-250 for varmint. I already have a 30-30 so the deer part is covered. What would you do? I'm a little torn in my decision.

Why not a .243 or .270? Seem like a good compromise to me. The one .22-250 I've shot kicked pretty good and it was heavy. Can't imagine a .243 would be much harder shootin'.

Matt, to be honest I have been wanting a .243 but I came upon a good price for either a .22-250 or .308. One of those too good to resist deals so I'm taking one. I agree the .243 is better but it is not an option right now.

Thanks, what would you buy?

.308 unless you are only going to shoot small animals. A 22-250 is legal for deer, but that's a pretty small, light bullet for such an animal.

Considering that most game is shot well under 200 yds, in fact I believe the average is closer to 75 yds, there really isn't much need for a higher velocity than the .308. And the .308 is a much more versatile round for anything from coyotes to deer, bear, and elk.

The .22-250 would be better for varminting with a stretch to deer at most.

The .243 is a much better round for what you describe, or the .25-06 or .270. But given the two choices I think the .308 is much more flexible and capable. With light 130 gr bullets or even less, it can be driven fast for varmints. Or loaded up with tough 180 gr bullets for bear and elk. anything from 150 - 180 gr is great for any size deer.

If you're looking at a .243, do yourself a favor and get a 6mm instead. Holds a little more powder, goes a little faster. Makes an excellent deer cartridge. The 25-06 is another excellent choice, can't say enough good things about that one. If you have to have a .22 caliber, go with the Swift.

I butchered a deer ONCE with a 22-250. Biggest mistake I ever made while hunting. I carried it for light weight and brush beating.

Was quickly switched over to a 30-06. Had the reliability for deer and elk. Regardless of powder behind the 22-250 it just wasn't enough to stop a deer. I did have one successful and quick deer kill with that rifle. Was a headshot.

How much your going to shoot it, do you reload, and if not, how much can you stand to pay for ammo?

I think for a non reloader who likes to target shoot a lot, 223 and 308 are the only low cost flat shooting calibers. There seems to be a lot of 308 modern mil surplus on the market now. The Russians are doing both of these calibers in wolf and bear brands too, and they don't shoot so badly. A buck a round forces me to the rimfires way too early in the day.

Thanks for the help. I'm starting to lean towards the 308. I currently shoot a 7mm mag and the rifle is really heavy. It really knocks them down but I'm getting tired of lugging the thing around the woods. Recoil is manageable but some days it's just not so fun. I still like it but It will probably be used more for east oregon hunts.

So this year I'm thinking, why punish myself if a smaller caliber, lighter rifle will do the trick just fine. Now lets hope the deal goes through.

22-250 is easily one of my favorite calibers to shoot. I like it more than 308. It's accurate, light and very little recoil. That being said, I would personally never take one deer hunting with me. It's just too underpowered in my opinion. I would go with the 308 if I were in your shoes. 308 is a great round too.

I think it's good that Oregon doesn't restrict big game hunting to 6mm and larger(like WA). If the hunter uses good judgment smaller calibers can be very effective. If the twist in the 22-250 was fast enough to stabilize the 90gr bullets it would be a great deer cartridge. Most factory rifles chambered in 22-250 are set up for varmint bullets in the 50-60gr range which is not ideal. The 308 is very versitile and makes for a heck of a deer cartridge when loaded appropriately, I'd recommend using bullets in the 150gr range and you should be able to push these to arround 2900fps. With the appropriate supporting equipment and practice it would be sufficient for deer size game to 400yds. If heavy bullets are used at lower velocities the bullet may not hit at a high enough velocity for proper expansion with most bullets at these ranges. As was mentioned, most game is taken at less than 100yds, so you almost can't go wrong with the 308. Berger Hunting bullets have proven to be excellent in my opinion and the BC's are very good.

Can't go wrong with that. Leupold is always a good choice. What about dies, powder, primers, bullets, calipers...? Sheesh, I need another caliber my ownself!

Thanks 2506, I know I really need to learn to reload. I was really into buying the equipment a while back but there was a shortage of powder so I thought it to be pointless if I can't get powder. I should start looking into it again.

I just saw the new Redfield scopes (made by leupold) when I picked up the rifle. Actually had really good clarity and it was crisp. Good price too at $150 for 3-9x40. I feel like I already took a gamble on the Icon since I could not find any real person testimonials, just the magazine articles. Maybe I should do the same with same with a redfield scope.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top