JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone used the Surefire Warden on their AR instead of a muzzle break?

I work at a local indoor range and get a lot of complaints from customers who end up next to a shooter using a muzzle break rather than just a flash hider or this product from Surefire. :eek:

I have seen one in action at the range and would be interested in anyone else's feedback if you have the same experience.

For $180 I'd pass. That's considerably more than the brake itself. Not to sound like a jerk, if you're around rifles in this age a brake should be expected at some point. Double up on the hearing protection. There's a very steep price for the sake of courtesy alone

I have limited experience with them.

Tried a KAW linear Comp and a "flash cone" and did not like either. Still have not given up on the idea, and might try this next.

I think for it to work you want a really aggressive multi port break, combined with a large diameter, long. Length blast forwarding device. You want to slow the air down and get it all shooting straight forward when it comes out of the device.

Well, I avoid getting next to a shooter with a side-vent muzzle brake. It isn't just the sonic emission but also the concussion and hot blast of gas in your face. It can literally blow stuff off your bench. I think there is an element of courtesy about it that's so far mostly been ignored. My guess is some ranges will start coming up with rules about it if some haven't already. Or have dedicated lanes only for shooters with muzzle brakes. Like some ranges banned the shooting of .50 BMG when some guys came trotting in with theirs.

Courtesy is a disappearing quality in our society. Think of it this way. Would you want to take a shooting bench next to a guy who had a boom box turned up full volume? I wouldn't. But it's the same kind of thing. Both very annoying to the guy next to you.

Direct thread is cheaper.

Or even cheaper.

The three and four piece flash hiders
(as seen on AKs) are awesome.
I had one on my SBR, it eats up all the flash.
Compared to the warden (with) warcomp Those 3 & 4 piece flash hiders have them beat for concussion/ muzzle flash reduction.

The place I'm referring to gets very crowded quickly. When that happens you have very little choice where you take a bench. Most people with muzzle brakes realize the impact they are having and change to another firearm or finish up.

I also respect the right for shooters to select their own equipment without restriction by "another sheriff in town". That is still a 2A right I would not impose on, since that would make me no different that those who want to restrict our rights.

I'm trying to find out more about other options so I can be informed and come from a better position in order to help influence another choice and act professionally.

The three and four piece flash hiders
(as seen on AKs) are awesome.
I had one on my SBR, it eats up all the flash.
Compared to the warden (with) warcomp Those 3 & 4 piece flash hiders have them beat for concussion/ muzzle flash reduction.
Definitely, and for the cost, it's a no brained if you are looking to "not piss off" folks at the range.

I have one that goes over their break. It works to deflect the sound and pressure forward. Most firearm trainers will not allow breaks in their classes due to the effects on others. Now I just run a can and have no worries.

Ps mine is for sale in the classifieds

Dosen't this kind of defeat the point to the brake in the first place?
It reduced the effectiveness by a bit, its more of an optional thing, would you rather have noise with close to 0 recoil, or low noise with more recoil. Different applications.

Personally I don't like changing how my gun feels and recoils. I would use it on something short where the noise is way to much, or something longer where it can be made quite enough to only use 1 layer of ear pro.

Dosen't this kind of defeat the point to the brake in the first place?
Yes, but in this instance we are talking about shooting in close proximity to others. I for one don't cherish hot gasses, rapidly moving unburnt particles of powder, concussion, noise and if shooting prone dirt and dust launched into my face as I'm trying to focus on my shooting. That's what these muzzle devices do to those shooting next to them. I'm happy when a class or range bans their use during those particular events.

Don't get me wrong here. They are useful devices and I have no problem when used in the field with adequate clearance from others. But in the confines of an indoor range I'm in the NO category.

And that's what appears to be the beauty of the Warden. When you want a muzzle break the "can" is removable, and when near others, you slide on and lick the Warden into place.

I know they've been around for awhile, but it was new to me when I first saw it and want to find out more.:)

And that's what appears to be the beauty of the Warden. When you want a muzzle break the "can" is removable, and when near others, you slide on and lick the Warden into place.

I know they've been around for awhile, but it was new to me when I first saw it and want to find out more.:)
I'll cut you a deal on mine I went to Q products

I run something similar on my .22 pistols.(direct thread)

Even with ear pro, you can tell a difference between using and not.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top