JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just purchased a new Taurus PT111 G2 compact 9mm pistol. For some reason it's takes two hands to depress the slide lock switch on an empty magazine. Without a magazine or with a full one, there is no problem. I suspect the problem is that the magazine springs are so strong in this small magazine that the slide release button cannot depress the magazine follower enough to release the slide. I know it's not that crucial to release the slide on an empty magazine but it would be nice if it didn't take so much effort. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Remove the magazine....

There is no issue with the magazine springs if you can push a bullet into it with a single thumb a single thumb should be able to counter act the follower as this should require the least pressure possible. I haven't done much more than handled that particular style pistol but I wouldn't really worry too horribly much about this. If for some reason I wanted it in an empty chamber, slide closed, magazine inserted state I would just insert the magazine after closing the slide. If you're looking at doing dry fire practice just utilize snap caps.

You could also see how it feels when you're holding the slide fully rearward with an empty mag inserted see if the release is still difficult to depress.

It sounds like a matter of geometry and a sharp edge or two since it's new. I'd put a tiny dab of graphite grease on the face of the slide release that actually engages the slide and manipulate the gun by hand, not letting the slide slam forward uncontrolled though, around fifty times or whatever.
Good luck.

To be more clear I wasn't saying to slam the slide forward or to even let it go forward on its own.
Sorry if I gave that impression...

I would if possible , "ride" the slide forward with my hand.

What you posted Ron is a great reminder.
The graphite is a good idea as well Certaindeaf
Andy

Thanks to all above for their replies.

I'm pretty sure the problem is in the magazine springs. They are super strong. There is no way I can push a single round in with just my thumb as B3dlam suggested. It took two thumbs and that was still difficult. It took a good five minutes to load one 12 round magazine. The last two rounds were extremely difficult; in fact the 12th round wouldn't go in at all. I think I'm going to have to go in and clip a little bit off the magazine spring, unless someone has a better idea.

No do not clip mag springs! :eek::eek: The magazine is very important for reliability.
The small guns are more apt to have reliability problems.o_O Get a magazine
loading tool. This might not fit your particular gun but one like this.
Maglula UpLULA Pistol Mag Loader Unloader Polymer
This ^^^
Don't monkey with "clipping springs".
Leave that for the Kitchen Table Gun Plumbers Union.

If you have trouble loading those mags with an UpLULA ($16 on Amazon) then
something is wrong and I'd contact Taurus support.
I was going to suggest trying a MecGar magazine but that pistol model must be new
because I can't find much aftermarket support for it.
Even Wolff (gunsprings.com) does not list it.

There are apparently, mags from other, specific pistols that will fit the PT111.
You can Google around and find that info.

jbett98, thanks for link. I think the wrong sized follower is exactly the cause of the problem. Just looking at the empty mag, I can see that it is the larger of the two shown in the thread. I'll be contacting Taurus for replacements. I'm glad I checked with you guys before I tried to perform some home butchery...er, surgery. Thanks to all.

I thought if it's a slide stop/lock that you don't use it as a slide release. I mean many people do, just saying if it's a slide stop/lock it's not really designed to be used as a slide release. It's designed to hold back the slide, not release it. In fact .....it's either my Shield or XD that states in the owners manual not to use it as a slide release.

Few quickly found articles:

Slide Stop vs. Slide Release » LonelyMachines

Slide Stop vs. Release (P-11/P-40/P-357)

<broken link removed>

I thought if it's a slide stop/lock that you don't use it as a slide release. I mean many people do, just saying if it's a slide stop/lock it's not really designed to be used as a slide release. It's designed to hold back the slide, not release it. In fact .....it's either my Shield or XD that states in the owners manual not to use it as a slide release.
They are probably afraid that people will shoot themselves in the head.

Ikemay, thanks for the article links. I also was trained to pull back on the slide instead of using the slide stop as a release. What I may have failed to mention is that with the empty mag in, it's impossible to pull back the slide to release it. If that method would work, I wouldn't be so worried about the slide release. As it stands now, the only way to release the slide on an empty mag is to muscle the slide stop with two hands. I recognize that it is not important to release the slide on an empty magazine and may even be counterproductive. However, I can do this with my 1911's and believe a new gun should be capable of this function, whether or not I ever choose to actually use it. Plus there is the problem with the 12 round magazines only holding 11 rounds. I'm pretty sure the correct mags will solve both these extremely minor problems. Again, I could live with both these issues but, since it is a brand new weapon, I shouldn't have to. I'll let you know when I hear back from Taurus.

Last Edited:
Okay, I think I finally have this figured out.

I called Taurus customer service and they were very helpful. They were willing to take the magazines back, no problem, but suggested that I fill the mags with as many rounds as I could and let them sit for 24 hrs. to let the springs soften up. I managed to get 12 rounds in one but could only cram 11 rounds in another. After letting them sit for 48 hrs. (for good measure), the mags were much easier to load and I was able to get the 12th round in. I let them sit for another day and then unloaded and loaded them once again.

The results:
- both magazines are much easier to load and will each hold 12 rounds
- the slide release (I guess I should call it the "slide lock lever" is much easier to operate with one thumb
- with an empty magazine in place, it is still not possible to pull the slide to the rear to send it back into battery. I have to push down on the slide lock lever. However I do not let it slam forward (thanks for the education, guys) but rather ease the slide into battery with my other hand.

I can live with this. I guess this just shows how long it has been since I bought a new semi-auto as well as my unfamiliarity with double stack and sub-compact magazines. I'm glad I didn't do anything foolish and try to alter the mags. I hope others can learn from my experience, if indeed there is anyone out there as ignorant as I am. Thanks to everyone for their advice and support.

- with an empty magazine in place, it is still not possible to pull the slide to the rear to send it back into battery. I have to push down on the slide lock lever. However I do not let it slam forward (thanks for the education, guys) but rather ease the slide into battery with my other hand.
Maybe I misunderstand, but this all would seem to be perfectly normal.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top