JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Its funny that my favorite firearm is a shotgun but have shot so few other that what I have owned. My big question is what make one semi worth $600 and the other $1300? Right now I have a mossberg 930 and a remington 11-48. I would love to upgrade to something more designed for clays.z

I think it really depends on which shotgun you're talking about For instance when you buy a benelli M2 their Inertial Operating system plus the brand and their reputation for QC is part of what you're paying for. Also you will generally find a higher quality of fit/finish in a more expensive shotgun.

Its funny that my favorite firearm is a shotgun but have shot so few other that what I have owned. My big question is what make one semi worth $600 and the other $1300? Right now I have a mossberg 930 and a remington 11-48. I would love to upgrade to something more designed for clays.z

Shooting clays is more the individual and if they can hit the $&%(ing clay in the first place. I'm struggling with the concept of 'leading a target'.

The perfect clay buster is the one you can use to bust them with. I was out with a buddy of mine this last weekend and we shot 3/4 of a box of clays. We are not that good but we had fun in the pouring rain. He has a 930 Waterfowl with a 28" ported barrel and I'm running a JM Pro with a 22" barrel. When on target, both destroyed the clays equally. @tarster runs a 20 gauge 870 that's older than dirt and does a fine job eliminating the flyers. An old side by side I had did a reasonable job eliminating clays when I could hit them with a 20" barrel.

The differences you seek are not accuracy, it's cycle rate and what type of recoil/gas system it has (gas/inertia etc). A $125 single shot will do the same damage when used properly as an expensive Benelli.

I run a 930 because I need the semi auto soft recoil for the shoulder, not because I want fast follow up shots.

Think of the GM cars. Chevette and a Corvette. Same company, different quality.
....and a name on the side.

Like people who pay lots of money for Troy or Dueck Defense parts when they are made from the same metal as lower priced ones. Some people prefer name recognition when they go out shooting, some just want to get stuff done.

Shooting clays is more the individual and if they can hit the $&%(ing clay in the first place. I'm struggling with the concept of 'leading a target'.

The perfect clay buster is the one you can use to bust them with. I was out with a buddy of mine this last weekend and we shot 3/4 of a box of clays. We are not that good but we had fun in the pouring rain. He has a 930 Waterfowl with a 28" ported barrel and I'm running a JM Pro with a 22" barrel. When on target, both destroyed the clays equally. @tarster runs a 20 gauge 870 that's older than dirt and does a fine job eliminating the flyers. An old side by side I had did a reasonable job eliminating clays when I could hit them with a 20" barrel.

The differences you seek are not accuracy, it's cycle rate and what type of recoil/gas system it has (gas/inertia etc). A $125 single shot will do the same damage when used properly as an expensive Benelli.

I run a 930 because I need the semi auto soft recoil for the shoulder, not because I want fast follow up shots.

I love my older than dirt shotgun :) haha shooting it for 15 years has something to do with busting clays really well, but then again.. it could just be the shooter.. One thing to note when shooting clays.. sometimes a full choke is nice if you like to lets the clays get further away from you, otherwise a looser choke is nice for quite bursting of the clays.

As other have said, most of the higher priced autoloaders have a more reliable gas system. But that is not the only thing they offer that is superior. The balance and feel of the gun is different too. There is a real difference.
I shot Beretta Al2's A301,302's for a long time in Trap (before I got a Perazzi). They weren't stock by any means either though. Backbored barrels, briley chokes, new comb and adjustable butt plates.
All these guys that are talking about shooting trap with a 20" barreled shotgun are just there to have fun. If you want to really get into shooting clays and be successful, buy a gun that's made for that purpose. Fit it to your build and keep your damn head on the stock.

That Benelli M4 sure is fast. And soft recoiling to.
Of coerce it should be. It weighs a ton. :D

If you find yourself with a Mossberg you are either :
1) Cheap
2) On a budget
3) Just want a "truck gun" that you can knock around the duck swap with

For whatever reason, there has never been a Skeet or Trap version of these guns.
I don't know why the Remington 1100 is legend and the Mossberg 930 is ghetto.

Could be just marketing.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads