JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know the big differences between IPSC and IDPA. Any podcast listeners have heard several well-known gun enthusiasts harp on IDPA as being the best. However, from skimming the rules and watching videos, I can't really tell the difference. :(

Thanks for any help,
Dave

IDPA requires the REAL use of cover and drawing from concealed carry. You must reload behind cover as well.

IPSC is more for people worried about their time vs technique. Run around and shoot the targets as fast as you can. If your not fast, you lose.

IDPA is more realistic and IPSC is for gamers.

That should prompt some responses!!!:s0114:

Also, I found this on the <broken link removed> :

That’s a book length question, so I’m going to give you the condensed version.
1. USPSA and IPSC are the same. IDPA is a separate organization. Both are similar in that they are action shooting events and use similar targets... although the scoring systems are slightly different.
2. Both have multiple gun divisions so that similar guns compete against each other. The equipment rules can get a bit complex but any IDPA legal equipment is legal in at least one USPSA division... but not the reverse.
3. IDPA is more tactically oriented in the use of cover and in target shooting order. IDPA also uses shorter strings of fire (18 round maximum per string) and does not require as much movement through a course of fire. I’ve shot USPSA matches where I had to move through 50 yards and 60 rounds of ammo. That doesn’t happen in IDPA.
Both are fun, and give you plenty of trigger time. The biggest difference is that USPSA is a track meet with guns, and IDPA is a choreographed ballet.
Chris Christian

Just confirms what you said, cocktailer.

However, I would suggest it's how you use it. IPSC is still an opportunity to use your firearm under pressure/stress. Also, at this time, there is no IDPA available in the PDX area. I was told, however, that there will be IDPA at TCGC next year, so I will definitely keep my eye open and give it a try, too! ;)

IDPA came into vogue after IPSC lost it's "reality" due to being too gear oriented and not situational oriented. In many places IDPA is quickly falling to that sin also. When one begins to place to much emphasis on speed, scores, and gear rather than trying to simulate real life situations, the benefits are often lost since habits can pop up from the competitions in real life situations with deadly results. If one practices either with the intention to improve on practical skills rather than winning, both can be beneficial. IDPA and IPSC winners rarely win at the National Tactical Invitational. Both can be fun and improve your handgun skills but other forms of practice is needed to keep all the skills well honed.

USPSA/IPSC is racing with a handgun.

IDPA is racing with a handgun, where you act like the targets can shoot back.

I love both. I find USPSA more pure gaming fun, and I love the mentality of IDPA as "keepin it real" and always try to stick to the spirit of IDPA.

"IDPA requires the REAL use of cover and drawing from concealed carry. You must reload behind cover as well.

IPSC is more for people worried about their time vs technique. Run around and shoot the targets as fast as you can. If your not fast, you lose.

IDPA is more realistic and IPSC is for gamers."

What coctailer said, +1

I remember watching the IPSC guys when I was stationed in Germany back in the 80's... Although I won't argue that there is a "skill set" needed to do that type of thing... (its all a formula of memorized steps and motion) it was like a "practical video game"... hit button x, then y, then a combo front kick using axis' z-y... :rolleyes: :s0129:

After having spent time deployed in "Latin America" under some extreme (and VERY real) conditions I was unimpressed with the "practical" aspect of ISPC... so I turned up my nose and continued on with my "practical-tactical" training to stay sharp.

IPSC is to gunfighting as NASCAR is to bootlegging.

Good IPSC shooters are fast and accurate with a handgun. The other skills are specific to the game.

I remember watching the IPSC guys when I was stationed in Germany back in the 80's... Although I won't argue that there is a "skill set" needed to do that type of thing... (its all a formula of memorized steps and motion) it was like a "practical video game"... hit button x, then y, then a combo front kick using axis' z-y... :rolleyes: :s0129:

After having spent time deployed in "Latin America" under some extreme (and VERY real) conditions I was unimpressed with the "practical" aspect of ISPC... so I turned up my nose and continued on with my "practical-tactical" training to stay sharp.

....dress up? Hardly an issue, most of us have to put clothes on sometime anyway, as significant as choices of what we each have for breakfast. And cowboy stuff is what I generally wear anyway.

The manual of arms to safely fulfill a course of fire using 4 different weapons on each stage requires a certain dexterity and competence.

The pleasure of accuracy is common to all the shooting sports; doing it rapidly with antique weapons of limited ammunition capacity is a challenge which sharpens the hand and eye, to accomplish the average of 24+ shots on target each stage, in under 25 seconds. That some do it so fast is astonishing.

And we do have matches using 1911s and 1897s stuffed full. There is even a category for those using the Holy Black...from cap & ball to frontier cartridges. There is nothing quite like a stage with 10 gauge SxS hammer guns stuffed with black powder to make you appreciate the day!

The demands of our course of fire is little different than any other modern firearm. The average age of the cowboy match tends to be the older set, many of whom were competitive in the other styles, perhaps for 20, 30 or even 40 years. Cowboy action was in fact developed by national champ auto pistol competitors who tired of the games they had long pursued. Competing with the additional novelties of weapons designed in the Civil War through WWI era and wearing clothing found in Grade B western movies intrigued a lot of people.

We have one regular shooter in his late 80s, while slow, most often has a clean match and shoots all the smaller more distant rifle targets with his pistol. That he still enjoys the game is encouraging to most of us.

If you are capable of not being preoccupied with what kind of hat we wear, and might find another kind of firearms of interest, please feel invited to come visit. :s0155:

I've shot a bunch of IDPA matches and one IPSC match (shooting Limited, or whatever they call the class for real carry guns). I agree with everything that was said above comparing the two. I shot my one IPSC match the way I would shoot an IDPA match (using cover, reloading behind cover, etc). I didn't win, but I had fun. I was also a little handicapped since I was shooting a borrowed gun (broke an extractor in my Para-Ord on the first stage). I know the Northwest is much more IPSC oriented, but it would be nice to get some IDPA matches going around here (especially in the Portland area).

I've been looking at starting to do some shooting sports, although I'm not happy with the rule books for any of them. Read the rule books for IDPA carefully, if you have had any modifications to your carry gun or equipment it could easily be disqualified. Not to mention you may have to change some things about your carry set up as well.

As an example, if you don't normally "top off" your mag in your carry gun. And in the interest of using your actual set up you don't "top off" for an IDPA stage, you get a 3 second penalty per stage. Also, if you normally carry a compact pistol with full size or extended mag's for reloads, you will have to decide if you want to use only the full size or compact mags. Can't use different capacity mags as your reloads.

Anyone know what the difference between IDPA and USPSA is? I've only competed in USPSA, but there are no USPSA competitions down here.

USPSA/IPSC is racing with a handgun.

IDPA is racing with a handgun, where you act like the targets can shoot back.

I love both. I find USPSA more pure gaming fun, and I love the mentality of IDPA as "keepin it real" and try to stick to the spirit of IDPA whe I shoot IDPA.

mortre said:
I've been looking at starting to do some shooting sports, although I'm not happy with the rule books for any of them. Read the rule books for IDPA carefully, if you have had any modifications to your carry gun or equipment it could easily be disqualified. Not to mention you may have to change some things about your carry set up as well..
Really, the modifications need to be substantial to cause trouble at the club level match. Generally you can start with any reasonable carry gun. No lasers, and must use standard strong side belt holsters. If you want to participate in a sanctioned match, like a state, regional or Nat'l match, you will need to strictly play by the rules of the game.

mortre said:
As an example, if you don't normally "top off" your mag in your carry gun. And in the interest of using your actual set up you don't "top off" for an IDPA stage, you get a 3 second penalty per stage. Also, if you normally carry a compact pistol with full size or extended mag's for reloads, you will have to decide if you want to use only the full size or compact mags. Can't use different capacity mags as your reloads.
This is true. The reason is to avoid "gaming" stages by manipulating magazines to achieve slidelock at an advatageous time. It is a good rule. As a newby, or a "tactical practicer" who is slow and careful, the local match probably won't care. Once you start winning, and/or juggling mags to give yourself an edge, they will rightfully cry "Foul!" Local IDPA matches often have a minor struggle between "spirit of the game" and "rules of the game."

Note that some local matches will say "Rules is rules", expect everyone to comply, and this position is very solid. I have observed a few cases of "I'm just here for the practice" who later start to want to "win", get sneaky about rules, and even tho they "are just here for practice", get upset for procedural penalties from breaking the game's rules. My local match group tries to accomodate the many shooters (mostly newbies) who are not so much interested in winning at the game, and occasionally we have to struggle with "allowing this exception but not that exception", which is when any "rules is rules" advocate gets to jump up and say "I told you so!"

:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top