JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

As the title says, is there any difference? I have a 1911 for sale here but if it doesn't sell for what I want, I want to use the parts to build a double stack race gun. If I were to buy a 1911 frame in double stack form, will the slide fit? I know there may be some fine tuning required but was curious.

Thanks for any input.

I looked into this a while back,but it depends on how the stuff was selling.I did see some double stack frames for a "mil spec" slide.All you needed was the double stack mags to go with it.
I was just at STI and they have double stackers,so I think you can find what you are looking for.

google 1911 forums and go from there
Good luck

Yes, you could probably buy a STI modular frame ($410 list) or a Caspian High Capacity Receiver kit ($454 list) from Brownells and fit your slide to it---but what would you use it for? I'm assuming that the 1911 you have is a 45, so you are limited by the breechface dimensions to building a 45 double stack.

You say you want to build a "race gun". Do you want to compete with it? The game for that is USPSA, and the division for race guns is Open Division. A double stack 45 will NOT be competitive. The 38 super and 9mm major guns will eat you alive. Even running it in Limited division will put you at a disadvantage--although not as much.

There are some 45 double stacks out there--Para Ordnance makes several models,
I believe Caspian made some, and there are some made by Armscor. If you just
feel the need to have one, look around for one of those. Probably buy one
for less than the cost of the frame and parts you will need for your build.

I see. Thanks for the info. I just like to mod things so was tossing around the idea. My weekends are going to free up when my work schedule so was looking to shoot steel matches or possibly try 3 gun. It looks like I guessed wrong.

I see. Thanks for the info. I just like to mod things so was tossing around the idea. My weekends are going to free up when my work schedule so was looking to shoot steel matches or possibly try 3 gun. It looks like I guessed wrong.

Heck---go shoot it as-is in USPSA Single Stack division. Or get some 10 rd mags for it and shoot Limited 10. It would be competitive in both. Single Stack is a blast--I'm classified in all six divisions, and Single Stack is what I shoot most.

Speed steel? Download the 45 and go for it. No capacity disadvantage---there are a max of 5 plates---if you have to reload the skinny gun on the clock you need to slow down and get your hits.

3-gun---you could do Heavy Metal and the 45 would fit right in. Use it regular 3-gun anyway. Shoot what you have for at least the first few times, you will find that what you "think you need" will change substantially after a few matches.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top