JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys...I just wanted to say hi. I am a die hard couponer who has been working on building and maintaining a SHTF worthy home stockpile for the last year. The reason I mention that I'm a couponer is that I'm shocked at how many things I've managed to get using coupons for free or darn near free for my stockpile. I'd say 60% of what is in my stockpile I've gotten for free, and the rest I paid very very little for.

Anyways...just wanted to drop in here and try to find out what everyone else is stockpiling...I have a big list of all the things I'm already stocked up on for at least the first year...I'll post it in a few minutes. This is a fun site!

HAVE...
Canned stuff...
Spaghetti Sauce
Pears & Peaches (kids love these)
canned manderin oranges
Cream of Ckn & Tomato Soup
Tomato Sauce
Juice (the juicy juice concentrate in the pop can)
Baked Beans
Chili Beans
Canned chicken
Tuna
Vienna Sausages
Beanie Weenies
Jelly
Peanut Butter
Miracle Whip
Mayo
Ketchup
BBQ sauce
Taco sauce
tomato juice
Sweetened condensed Milk
Pam cooking spray

Spices...
Onion soup mix
Chicken boullion cubes
Beef boullion cubes
Chili Seasoning
Taco Seasoning
Pepper
Salt
Lawry's Season Salt
Dried Onion
SureGel (to make homemade jelly)

Baking things...
Flour
Sugar
Baking powder/soda
oatmeal
cornmeal
chocolate, butterscotch & peanut butter chips
(no yeast, but has too short of a shelf life and can't freeze...lookin for an answer to this problem)

Other foods...
coffee
Cereal
Brownie & Cake Mixes
Canola Oil
Macaroni
Spaghetti noodles
Rice
Crackers
Vinegar
mac & cheese
fruit snacks
salad dressing
candy bars/granola bars

Misc food related stuff
Paper Plates
Tin Foil (I think this could be really hand to have a lot of, plus it never goes bad)
Ziploc bags
hand grinder (to use to grind wheat into flower)
coffee filters
french press coffee maker
teapot to boil water
jars & lids & seals
pressure canner
hot water bath canner
pickling salt

Household
Fels Naptha soap (old style laundry soap in a bar)
Regular laundry soap
Bleach
dishsoap
Mr. Clean
Glass Cleaner
Candles
Matches/lighters

HBA
Diapers (enough to get baby through til he's 3)
Wipes
Deoderant
Bar Body soap
Shampoo/cond
Contact solution
Epi Pens
Toilet Paper
Tooth paste
Toothbrushes
Bandaids
sterile gauze/wrap/tape
rubbing alcohol
hydrogen peroxide
Neosporin
Triple Antibiotic ointment
Silver Sulfadiazine (used on severe burns)
Sunblock
Bug Spray
tampons/pads
razors
shaving cream
Lotion
Chapstick
Tylenol
Advil
Aspirin
Aleve
Cough Syrup
Nebulizer albuterol
Dayquil/Nyquil
Sudafed
Vitamin C
Multivitamin
Fish Oil
Cough Drops
Amoxicillian

Clothespins
Clothesline
Batteries (tons)
extra flashlights, including a crank flashlight and a lantern
oil lantern & extra lamp oil

Guns, Rifles, & Bullets...LOTS

Clothing items...I have all boys, so I save the stuff inbetween children, so the younger two would be in great shape...but for the oldest, who's 8, I have snow gear in two different sizes larger stored along with snow boots and leather tennis shoes. I also have several pairs of jeans and some sweatshirts and t shirts I've picked up at rummage sales for him as well.

I bought an extra pair of leather workboots for my husband.... and extra pair of general tennis shoes for myself.

Here's a list of what I'm working on now...

Dehydrated Vegetables...carrots/celery

Powdered Milk...still looking for a deal on this (and it can ALWAYS be used to make homemade hot cocoa, which is WAY better than store cocoa)

non-hybrid seeds for a garden...not sure if the ones I already have are hybrids or not...many hybrids do not allow seed that you'd collect at the end of the year to be reused.

coffee...even though my hubby's a starbucks or 8 oclock coffee snob, we're stockpiling some of the basic folgers or other "canned" coffees just to use to barter with others.

batteries...always on the lookout, can never have too many

flashlights...found several of the wind up ones on clearance at Target...still looking for a few more...again, think these might become a hot commodity.

taper candles...we were without elec again the other night due to a storm...taper candles really put off light compared to some of the jar candles we have, local drug store has them for $.35 each, so planning to buy them out next time I get to town. I already have 2 sets of candle holders, so in good shape there.

Matches..., Sandy, how did you forget to stockpile matches...duh. Plan to double pack them in plastic.

Books...paperback fiction, for pure fun reading...have plenty of books on hand for the kids.

Still haven't bought a short wave radio...gotta get the faraday cage made first...hoping to get my hubby to help me make that, then will order the short wave.

Updated new addition plans to include a fireplace that we could burn wood in to heat the house over the winter. Now if we could just get the darned builder to come.

and...Printed instructions on how to:1. make candles...2. make sourdough bread (which uses no yeast)....3.basic first aid information...4.how to use a short wave radio.

I don't want to sound rude or disrespectful, but dang! Your husband is a lucky man. 90% of the battle with guys trying to prepare is the "other half", you sound like your dragging him kicking and screaming.

Great list. Didn't see any water, water source or water purification.

SF-

Also there is a member Gunner3456 out of the Southern Oregon area who has a sourdough starter that came from the batch that traveled to San Francisco back in the Gold Rush days.

SF-

I don't want to sound rude or disrespectful, but dang! Your husband is a lucky man. 90% of the battle with guys trying to prepare is the "other half", you sound like your dragging him kicking and screaming.

Great list. Didn't see any water, water source or water purification.

SF-

ha ha ha...thanks for the compliment...This was my hubby's idea, actually...I just jumped right on board...he's in charge of maintaining the 5,000 gallons of diesel fuel, the 20 mega supertron-watt-ifier (not sure what its called)generator that will run the entire farm...and the arsenal of guns, bullets, and reloading supplies in our basement.

As far as the water...I guess that's not a big worry of mine...we have our own well on the farm, 3 natural flowing springs within 150 yards of the house, an artisian well 1/2 a mile from the farm on an abandoned farmstead, a hand pump well 1/2 a mile away at another abandoned farmstead (that still works, tried it last deer season)...and 3 other wells on our land (all out in the pastures).... I doubt anyone in our area knows about the artisian well and the hand pumper, they're in old barns.

We also own a reverse osmosis system in our home. I did buy a brita water pitcher and a TON of filters, too. I have several flats of bottled water too for immediate use. And bleach...I have lotsa bleach. :)

There are many starters out there that will provide leavening.

You might look for a copy of The Complete Book of Breads, by Bernard Clayton, Jr.
Simon and Schuster, Copyright 1973, SBN 671-21548-5.

It has an entire chapter on making starters. Everything from "witch yeast" to sheepherders, potato and sour dough and sour rye starters, and all points in between.
There are also recipes using baking soda and/or powder. Useful if you have an acidic liquid to bump the process.

There are many starters out there that will provide leavening.

You might look for a copy of The Complete Book of Breads, by Bernard Clayton, Jr.
Simon and Schuster, Copyright 1973, SBN 671-21548-5.

It has an entire chapter on making starters. Everything from "witch yeast" to sheepherders, potato and sour dough and sour rye starters, and all points in between.
There are also recipes using baking soda and/or powder. Useful if you have an acidic liquid to bump the process.

Starter is nothing but yeast, of which there are thousands of strains. Yeast grows on plant material and then releases spores which will grow and leaven the bread even if you just set out a bowl with a cup of water and a couple of cups of flour mixed in. The yeast spores will find it and you'll find your mix is rising.

The whitish material you see on ripe berries and other sweet plants is yeast and can be used if you're stuck.

The problem is that they all taste different. The mountain men and settlers had starter that they had shared and preserved for hundreds of years as "the best." Another good starter is San Francisco starter due to the unique flora which grows there.

You can use store bought yeast as the starter but it just isn't the same flavor.

I'd recommend at the least that someone go to ebay and buy (very cheaply) some San Francisco starter. An honest seller with great feedback will get you going very cheaply. I prefer the flavor of the strain of starter which got here with the mountain men and the trappers and the wagon trains, but that's just me. It came from Europe.

Once you have your starter, you can keep it going perpetually by simply freshening periodically with new flour and water, and tossing out most of the "sour" starter. You just need to inoculate your fresh flour and water with some of the old starter. Two parts flour to one part water and a dab of starter. Once it rises, but it into a larger amount of two parts flour and one part water. Follow your recipes. My favorites are sourdough bread cooked on a rock by a campfire, and sourdough flapjacks. All you really need is starter, flour, water, salt and sugar. All preserve well.

$.02

Hey guys...I just wanted to say hi. I am a die hard couponer who has been working on building and maintaining a SHTF worthy home stockpile for the last year. The reason I mention that I'm a couponer is that I'm shocked at how many things I've managed to get using coupons for free or darn near free for my stockpile. I'd say 60% of what is in my stockpile I've gotten for free, and the rest I paid very very little for.

Anyways...just wanted to drop in here and try to find out what everyone else is stockpiling...I have a big list of all the things I'm already stocked up on for at least the first year...I'll post it in a few minutes. This is a fun site!

I think I love you! :D

If DM wasn't married I would have said that sooooo..... I get first dibs on her clone.

SF-

Ok...I have a deal for you both...get yourselves each a fiance lined up...tell her you're sending her on an "all expense paid vacation to an exotic location"...and put her on a plane to Bismarck in the dead of winter... I'll teach her to cook, bake, can, stockpile, coupon, feed cows, and shovel snow, before I send her home...all I want in exchange is for you guys to go down to the Provident Living place that cans food for really cheap and fill their suitcases with food for me before they come!!! :)

If you send them between January and April, I'll teach them to be an income tax preparer (my full time job that time of year) and how to pull calves as a bonus. :)

Hey Dakota Mom,

Just an FYI,

An old unplugged microwave oven will work as a faraday cage for your shortwave just fine. You can keep anything else you don't want EMP fried in there as well. ;-)

-r

Updated new addition plans to include a fireplace that we could burn wood in to heat the house over the winter. Now if we could just get the darned builder to come.

I'd stay away from the general 'fireplace' and go with a woodstove instead. With a standard open fireplace you're losing 70% of your heat up the chimney. Woodstoves flip that number to where you only lose between 15% and 30%. Plus with a good sized 'stove you can cook on it as well as heat the living areas.

....The reason I mention that I'm a couponer is that I'm shocked at how many things I've managed to get using coupons for free or darn near free for my stockpile. I'd say 60% of what is in my stockpile I've gotten for free, and the rest I paid very very little for.

Could you post your methods on coupons? I have tried scouring ads and websites and I haven't figured out the 'trick' to it. Every once in awhile I see a television spot about someone like yourself and I wonder how it's done.

Thanks

maybe you already know about these links , but here they are for you :)

you be the decider for what you need to do ! food for thought "some hints" do your Research and always QUESTION the source and think for yourself

CAMP-352 - Ceramic Filtration System, Monolithic Filter Ceramic Filter, Filter Sock, Spigot, 0.5 Micron Efficiency
YouTube - Just Water, ceramic drip filter - CAMP-352

YouTube - After Armageddon 1/9
you be the decider

YouTube - Enemy at the gates complete soundtrack (Tania) HQ

YouTube - Response to President Calderon

SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA: Thoughts on Urban Survival (2005)

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

talk, chat , video , for free, free download free to use what's not to like ??
Make the most of Skype - free internet calls and great value calls

<broken link removed>
SurvivalBlog.com

alternatefuelhow

knowledge is power, always question authority
if you choose not to have any more emails
then please let me know
thanks and have a nice day
Extraordinary Popular Delusions And the Madness of Crowds
By Charles MacKay
Extraordinary Popular Delusions and ... - Google Books
YouTube - Red Hat Linux 1