Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Didn't take 'em long to demonize the gun in NY shooting

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Dave Workman, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Naturally, they smear the gunman's pistol but play down the fact that police bullets hit nine bystanders...

In NY shooting aftermath, playbook journalism kicks in

One thing about anti-gun journalism is that it is as predictable as rain in Seattle, and such is the case with reportage following Friday’s shooting of a gunman near New York’s Empire State Building.

In NY shooting aftermath, playbook journalism kicks in - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

2. JGRuby

JGRuby Portland Oregon New Member

The police are simply not being held to any standards - they do as they want and act as they wish without reprecussion. The situation in NY needs to act as an example of what the police are doing wrong. It is my understanding that the criminal was no more than eight feet away from the police when the police started firing - if so they need alot more practice shooting. One rule of shooting is always know your back stop -you are repsonsible for where every bullet goes. These police need a lot more training.

When will the police in this country stop acting like scared little girls and start acting like the paid proffessional they are suppose to be? I am tired of the answer is if you are scared start shooting - us civilians cannot get away with that answer why can the police?

Respectfully

James Ruby

3. fuhr52

fuhr52 Lane County. Oregon Well-Known Member

The main stream media isn't in business to report the news. Their in the business of making the news and then instructing us, the uneducated public, on how to interpret what they report. This has been going on for decades.

4. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

this stuff isn't anything new. The media runs with fads. Shootings are the latest one. This is a big planet and stuff happens every day. The media picks and chooses a fraction of a fraction to report. Just like when there's am earthquake, suddenly there's an earthquake reported daily and everyone says zomg why are there suddenly so many earthquakes.

5. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

Every basic defensive pistol class I teach has a little lecture where I emphasize that they need to at the least get out once per month and shoot at least 100-150 rounds of training drills.

How much you want to bet that these two guys were:

A: Trained to shoot as fast as they could pull the trigger until the target was down AND
    B: Haven't shot more than 100 rounds in the last 12 months

The NYPD has one of the worst officer involved shooting records in the country. You can bet your behind it's all because of lousy training, not because the cops are bad guys. "Train like you fight, fight like you train." This was predictable based on their atrocious record, but you can bet nothing important will change.

FourTeeFive and (deleted member) like this.
  6. AlphaCoyote

AlphaCoyote Oh, I get around. New Member

Examiner.com is a trash rag for nuts. I wouldn't go there for news any sooner than I'd go to the American Worker. And I'm wary of people who like to read and cite it like it's their preferred source of information.

But I will say that to use this as an example in favor of gun control is also nuts. NY already has tight gun control laws. This is an example of how state/city/county gun control laws don't work.

Malew and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

Dave Workman's writing, in my experience, has been absolutely solid and factual. If you have something he's written that doesn't meet that standard, post it. I don't always agree with Dave's conclusions, but I've never had criticism of his reportage on any factual basis.

You DO know that the Examiner is open to pretty anyone who wants to write an article right? So not all Examiner articles will be created equal. There isn't some editorial board policing it, it's more or less a blog from what I understand.

If you want to criticize Dave's writing, tell us why. Otherwise the ad-hom attack is just that.

FourTeeFive and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Wow...pretty biased opinion, don't you think?

9. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

Best comment I've read on this shooting so far... "NYPD is changing their Gun training program. The iPhone app will no longer be used."

LMAO!!!!

10. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

what is sad is that this was just a "routine" murder in NY until the police got involved and shot nine people...not that I blame the police for shooting, not sure what else they could have done....(oh, I know, hit their target?)

11. Dave Workman

Gents, I am humbled and grateful for your support here.

And, for your continued reading pleasure and analysis, including AlphaCoyote, ;) here's a follow-up:

Anti-gunners skipping the important facts, naturally

In their zeal to exploit Friday’s shooting near the Empire State Building in New York City, anti-gunners are deliberately overlooking some facts and adding their own agenda items instead.

Anti-gunners skipping the important facts, naturally - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

12. AlphaCoyote

AlphaCoyote Oh, I get around. New Member

I have no problem with someone quoting and self-promoting his own advertisement-supported blog, even if it's done over and over. And over and over. I just don't find such opinion pieces to be "news" worth caring about. Sorry man. My opinion. YMMV.

13. Riot

Examiner's Articles are to Trash Rags for Nuts as AlphaCoyote's Opinions are to:

A. a Zimbabwean dollar
    B. the NYPD firearms training program
    C. Both A and B

Dave Workman's articles are frontiline defense for firearm enthusiasts. They are just as much news as any newspaper editorial so your attack against Dave Workman and Examiner.com is not very appreciated. Dave Workman gets the word out for important issues to all Northwest firearm owners without any underlying agenda except for our Consititional rights as citizens. A general statement (without facts) to bash him descredits anyone that reads his articles as well and is a personal insult to us.

Are you entittled to your opinion? Sure...but I'm also entittled to tell you where to shove your baseless opinion as well.

Misterbill and (deleted member) like this.
  14. JGRuby

JGRuby Portland Oregon New Member

I by far do not always agree with Mr. Workman but I for one am happy he does it. Mr. Workman has simply found a way of combining his work with a pay check. I commend him on that and supporting the 2nd better than most of us do in a public format that reaches a lot of people that are not necessarily gun enthusiasts

Respectfully

James Ruby.

Misterbill and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Thebastidge

Thebastidge 10411 NE Fourth Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98662 Well-Known Member

16. Dave Workman

Hey...HEY!

Are you aware that a Zimbabwean dollar will be worth more than a US dollar pretty soon?
    Have you bought gas lately?
    Geez, Riot...there was a time I paid 50 cents a gallon for gas.

Don't go knocking them Zimbabwean dollars, amigo.

;)

Incidentally, thank you ALL for your very kind and generous remarks defending my screed. It's very humbling to realize an impact like that.

17. Riot

I know- now I feel old...I remember at least 89 cents a gallon...my how times have changed.