JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I came across an interview that the Oregon Senate Majority Leader Ginny Burdick gave to Oregon Public Broadcasting 3 weeks ago. I don't recall that anyone has posted this interview before? If anyone did, I missed it, and I apologize for re-posting.

First off, I am sort of appalled to learn that rabid gun control advocate Ginny Burdick has been promoted to such a key leadership position in the Oregon State Legislature. This is not at all good news for Oregon's gun owners.

There is sort of good news, and also bad news stated during this interview.

The good news is that Burdick indicated that the 2016 Short Legislative Session does not have enough time in it to pass any new gun control measures. So it would seem that we will indeed be safe for another year in Oregon.

However, Burdick does indicate in the interview that gun control is a top priority for her and the rest of the legislature. But she complained that a short session is just not long enough time to be able to pass "complex" legislation.

That sounds rather ominous to me. Complex would seem to me to indicate that really significant legislation is what is being considered. So it looks like 2017 will be the battleground year for gun control in Oregon.

But is there any way that in next November's election, Republicans could somehow get back the two Senate seats that they lost? If the damage from the last election, financed by Bloomberg's money, could only somehow be undone, our gun rights in Oregon could remain safe in 2017.

Here is a link to an article about this interview with Burdick, as well as an audio recording of it:

http://www.opb.org/news/article/salem-gun-control-conversation-ginny-burdick/

Man, I hope more gun friendly people are elected, I'm kinda worried about Oregon and Bloomberg's money. Glad to hear that we are safe for next year. Thanks for posting that.

Man, I hope more gun friendly people are elected, I'm kinda worried about Oregon and Bloomberg's money. Glad to hear that we are safe for next year. Thanks for posting that.
Here's my take on what needs to be done. Two things are very obvious.

1. The Republicans that manage to get elected in Oregon are almost 100% in favor of gun rights.

2. Democrats will be elected to the vast majority of offices in Oregon.

Given those realities, if we want to change the landscape for gun rights in Oregon we need to have an effect on the Democrats and who they elect in the primaries. The only way to do that is to register as Democrats and vote in Democratic primaries for those Democratic candidates who are more level headed and gun friendly than Prozansky and Burdick. As a Republican voter, given that Democrats will have a majority position in Oregon for the foreseeable future, you just don't have any leverage. Being a Democrat by registration doesn't mean you can't vote Republican in the general elections, but it does mean that you'll have some say about who the Democrats offer up.

I don't post often, but couldn't resist when I saw ZigZag's post above. I've been considering this for years, and I think it's time for us to start "sleeping with the enemy". Join them in their own house and make friends with those who at least side with us on the 2nd Amendment.

I don't post often, but couldn't resist when I saw ZigZag's post above. I've been considering this for years, and I think it's time for us to start "sleeping with the enemy". Join them in their own house and make friends with those who at least side with us on the 2nd Amendment.

I'm doubtful this would work, due to the way that the party system works, and that fact that the Oregon Supreme Court threw out the voter approved Measure 3 term limits on a technicality. And here a whopping 70% of Oregon's voters voted in favor of Measure 3, and wanted to have term limits.

Incumbents just keep running again and again. And they have a huge advantage over any primary challenger. It is very rare for the Democratic Party to not back incumbents in primaries.

Plus ultra far left liberals are now in all the key leadership positions: Governor, Senate Majority Leader, and House Majority Leader. Plus we have Prozanski in the powerful Senate Judiciary Committee Chairmanship. The Democratic Party in Oregon is now controlled by the far left.

And the way that the party system works, it is very RARE for a party member to go against the official party position. Betsey Johnson has been the one and only Democrat in the legislature that has defied the leadership, and refused to go along with the gun control agenda. Every single other Democratic legislator has fallen in line.

Plus it is much more healthy to have a two party system. Just look at what has happened to California, since the Republican Party stopped being competitive with the Democrats. The same thing will eventually happen to Oregon, if Democrats come to dominate our state the way that they do in California.

DON'T FALL FOR HER STATEMENTS . . .
More likely it is a "head fake" to lull pro-2nd amendment people into complacency while the democrats swoop in for the kill.

Sheldon

While I live in safely republican districts in Klamath County I am fully ready to support solid republican candidates that are running to unseat dems in districts that are closer to red than blue. We really need to focus on a handful of those seats where any dem is vulnerable and support those republican candidates.

Perhaps they don't want to push gun control in an election year. There are thousands of Democrat voters that don't want their gun rights taken away.

How about we work on legislation that expands gun rights and shores up our 2A Lets change the narrative and talking pts. Put the left on defense for a change. Of course we don't have a lot of representation that can help but "we the people" works for me

"Gun Rights Protecting Lives Matter"

1776 v2.0

Who was it in another recent thread that said California gets exactly what they deserve by voting in liberals? My guess is, Oregon liberals are going to use California as a blueprint, or worse. They're also going to go after ammo (tax per round, purchase limits, HP's and "high velocity" rifle rounds are a "health risk", etc.).

Last Edited:
The only way to fight for your rights is to GET INVOLVED!!!!
Don't leave it up to someone or some Org to do (without helping out & doing your part) , you have seen the results in recent years haven't you? Yeah, most sat on the couch and got comfy didn't cha?

Last Edited:
DON'T FALL FOR HER STATEMENTS . . .
More likely it is a "head fake" to lull pro-2nd amendment people into complacency while the democrats swoop in for the kill.

Sheldon

Well, but she was talking to public TV, which is fairly liberal media. If her goal was to hoodwink conservatives, one would think that she would have used more mainstream press.

But I certainly agree that she cannot be trusted.

Perhaps they don't want to push gun control in an election year. There are thousands of Democrat voters that don't want their gun rights taken away.

Well, yes, that is the exact reason why not attempting anything this year makes sense from a political standpoint.

Look at what happened in Colorado. People got so upset that they recalled some of the legislators, and elected more Republicans.

But the ban on high capacity mags in Colorado remains. Once a ban gets in, it is hard to remove. We were just lucky that Clinton's 1994 Assault Weapons ban was only a 10 year law, and had an expiration date on it. The Democrats are not going to ever make that mistake again.

So the goal is probably to do nothing this year. Don't get anyone upset, so that no Democrats are voted out of office in November, their majority returns to Salem in 2017, and conservatives are lulled into complacency. Then a few months later in January of 2017, start work to pass new restrictions, and screw gun owners royally.

Ginny BurDick - I wonder how she?, it, got a Bur on her Dick ? :eek: :s0153: :s0131:

Burdick is actually a name that originated with people who came from the area around the town of Bourdic, in southern France. It is a very old name. Goes back to the 1600's here in the USA.

It would indicate that some ugly Frenchman is probably her early ancestor.

Here are photos of some other Burdicks:

Randy%20Burdick.jpg

18131047-mmmain.jpg

Randy%20Burdick.jpg

18131047-mmmain.jpg

Lance
Point me toward the "more mainstream" media!?!?!?!? Maybe like the Oregonian or my own La Grande Observer which is owned by owned by Bend-based Western Communications??????

Sheldon

Lance
Point me toward the "more mainstream" media!?!?!?!? Maybe like the Oregonian or my own La Grande Observer which is owned by owned by Bend-based Western Communications??????

Sheldon

I think that very few people rely on Oregon Public TV for news. So I think that just about any other news source would be more mainstream and seen by more people. I don't believe that they even have a TV news show. They just post some stories on their website, and also have them on public radio.

I never listen to public radio. Nor do I bother to ever check their website for news. Do you?

Perhaps folks in rural areas listen to public radio, where they are often one of the few stations available. I get most of my news off the web, and occasionally watching TV news broadcasts.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top