JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was on another gun forum and they said that Washington governor Jay Inslee signed into law a measure that prohibited the possession of any firearm without a serial number.

My dad owns several custom hunting rifles based on actions that were never serialized. I will take possession of those rifles when he passes.

I had planned on getting one of the Glock build kits, but I guess that's no longer legal in a state that I can't even describe properly due to forum rules.

The link they referenced was this one:

Washington State Toughens Gun Laws, Bans 'Ghost Guns'

Was on another gun forum and they said that Washington governor Jay Inslee signed into law a measure that prohibited the possession of any firearm without a serial number.

My dad owns several custom hunting rifles based on actions that were never serialized. I will take possession of those rifles when he passes.

I had planned on getting one of the Glock build kits, but I guess that's no longer legal in a state that I can't even describe properly due to forum rules.

I just seen Washington did ban unserialized firearms signed in by JAY ..
I did not even know that was coming . There was a few other gun laws signed in also .The gun collective on youtube has the info

Many, many guns made before 1968 did not have serial numbers. I wonder how many more law-abiding decent citizens were just made into criminals?

Washington has lost it's mind.

Not exactly:

Specifically outlawed is any firearm that doesn't contain at least 3.7 ounces of steel, and any gun that wouldn't show a recognizable outline in an X-ray machine.

That essentially prohibits printing complete plastic guns on 3D printers, unless metal parts were included.

The law stops short of banning untraceable guns, defined as guns without a serial number from a federally licensed firearm manufacturer.

Making untraceable guns for personal use is allowed within certain limits under federal law.

New Washington laws target 'ghost guns,' tighten firearm rules

the 80% bill is nothing new, its a bill about getting headlines but its a copy of federal law. You can build and use...you can't build for sale or transfer without serializing the item.

Scary Ghost Guns! :rolleyes::eek::D

6B557997-2B6A-4A00-BF77-240EB88E98ED.jpeg

the 80% bill is nothing new, its a bill about getting headlines but its a copy of federal law. You can build and use...you can't build for sale or transfer without serializing the item.
Thanks for the clarification.
I fear I may have fallen prey to the hyperbole common on certain sites.

What a waste of time and funds , making something illegal that has been illegal for years ? Momma must be proud.

Not exactly:

Specifically outlawed is any firearm that doesn't contain at least 3.7 ounces of steel, and any gun that wouldn't show a recognizable outline in an X-ray machine.

That essentially prohibits printing complete plastic guns on 3D printers, unless metal parts were included.

The law stops short of banning untraceable guns, defined as guns without a serial number from a federally licensed firearm manufacturer.

Making untraceable guns for personal use is allowed within certain limits under federal law.

New Washington laws target 'ghost guns,' tighten firearm rules

With respect to pre68 firearms, the "untraceable" definition includes a grandfather clause:

(34) "Untraceable firearm" means any firearm manufactured after July 1, 2019, that is not an antique firearm and that cannot be traced by law enforcement by means of a serial number affixed to the firearm by a federally licensed manufacturer or importer.

The law also does NOT totally ban making your own untraceable guns:
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to:
(d) Manufacture an untraceable firearm with the intent to sell the untraceable firearm.

The law will arguably require BGchecks on 80% stuff:
(1) No person may knowingly or recklessly allow, facilitate, aid, or abet the manufacture or assembly of an undetectable firearm or untraceable firearm by a person who: (a) Is ineligible under state or federal law to possess a firearm; or (b) has signed a valid voluntary waiver of firearm rights that has not been revoked under RCW 9.41.350. For purposes of this provision, the failure to conduct a background check as provided in RCW 9.41.113 shall be prima facie evidence of recklessness.

If you use polymers for certain parts, it will be illegal if that part won't produce an xray image (it must both show up on xray and the gun as a whole, not just the printed part, must set off a metal detector):
(33) "Undetectable firearm" means any firearm that is not as detectable as 3.7 ounces of 17-4 PH stainless steel by walk-through metal detectors or magnetometers commonly used at airports or any firearm where the barrel, the slide or cylinder, or the frame or receiver of the firearm would not generate an image that accurately
depicts the shape of the part when examined by the types of X-ray machines commonly used at airports.

There is NO grandfather clause for "undetectable firearms" -- this might affect polymer80 builds -- gotta get an xray test:
All machine guns, bump-fire stocks, undetectable firearms, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, bump-fire stock,
undetectable firearm, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

barrels weigh over 3.7oz or are they talking about what is actually considered to be the "firearm" IE: AR lower reciever?

if the lower has to have over 3.7oz of steel, most lower parts kit will have that covered. i believe even most 80% glock builds will be fine too. not legal advice. just speculation.

Many, many guns made before 1968 did not have serial numbers. I wonder how many more law-abiding decent citizens were just made into criminals?

Washington has lost it's mind.

For some quick clarification, it's not Washington, but the demented Anti-Gunners that have lost their minds...:D:eek:;)

barrels weigh over 3.7oz or are they talking about what is actually considered to be the "firearm" IE: AR lower reciever?

if the lower has to have over 3.7oz of steel, most lower parts kit will have that covered. i believe even most 80% glock builds will be fine too. not legal advice. just speculation.

There are less than 1oz worth of metal parts in the average glock lower.

I heard that Washington state was the best state in the country to live
You guys sound ungrateful. I only live I think in the 27th best state. Cant you guys just be happy?

Sarcasm off.

I heard that Washington state was the best state in the country to live
You guys sound ungrateful. I only live I think in the 27th best state. Cant you guys just be happy?Sarcasm off.

Maybe if Inslee gets in as the next potus and brings Fergy in as his vp, you all can feel our pain :eek:. God help us all if that happens.

I have spoken with several people lately who have lost all respect for the ATF's rules--folks who build F/A guns without the stamp, make their own silencers because they can't afford the stamp/wait time or just simply don't give a rat's @ss. I have actually grown weary of reminding them of the penalties they could face, so I no longer bother to reiterate them.

I realize your concern is a state based law but even so it is unConstitutional, as many guns from pre-1968 have no serial numbers, so where does your Gov get off telling folks that 50 year old guns are now illegal just because 'Simon' says? Far as I'm concerned at the very minimum everything up until his bs law passes should be grandfathered in, otherwise your state should legally need to buy back anything they are making illegal to own:eek::eek:

If you pay attention to the firearm legislation and activism section of this forum, you can usually stay pretty well informed on what is coming down the pipes. These threads also usually contain links to easily contact your legislators to comment on these bills.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top