JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went out and ran a few chronograph tests on the old army revolvers today. Had a jug of pyrodex P and a jug of FFFG Triple 7. I normally shoot T7 but I saw pyrodex on sale for $14 so I thought I'd try it out. I don't shoot black powder usually because its hard to get at the store and it just plain smells bad to clean. Ran 142 grain balls cast from sinker lead and 220 grain Lee conicals cast from pure lead and Hornady cast 255 grain bullets. Had a couple of 335 grain hard cast gas checked to try as well. No grease over the balls and no felt. 7 1/2" Ruger SS fixed sight. Not fired for accuracy. Minute of can is fine with me.

142 grain ball 40 grain T7 1250 FPS avg. tight 15 fps spread. 493 ft lbs

220 grain conical 40 T7 spread all over the place 1189-1328 FPS . Triple 7 does not like being compressed.

220 grain conical 35 grain T7 1015 fps tight spread. 503 Ft Lbs.

255 grain Hornady with 35 grain T7 tight 17 FPS spread. 1000 FPS average .747 ft/lbBEST ALL AROUND LOAD

335 grain 32 grains T7 is all that would fit in the stock cylinders. 845 FPS. 532 Ft/LBs. Ive run these in my classiballistx cyinder before for 1100 FPS . Thats 900 ft/lbs.

Pyrodex likes to be compressed. For the balls I ran a full cylinder of poder and rammed it down with the ball

142 grain ball full cylinder pyro. very tight spread under 15 fps . 1230 fps for 470 Ft/Lbs

220 grain conical 40 grain pyro 925 fps. very tight spread. 417 ft lbs.

255 grain bullet 38 grain pyro 875 fps 433 ft lbs

EuDV76.jpg

Nice. I never knew they came w fixed sights 'til I saw a post probably by you not too long ago.
Long long ago I had a SS target. Only used FFF (45gr rammed hard/firm) and balls (topped w Crisco).. I'd win money bets at 100 against guys with their iron sighted lever rifles all day long. Beautiful guns.

You're Rugers are beautiful revolvers!

Long time ago, I was taking a young co-worker shooting and loaded up my Umberti Remington .36 replica while he ran a tiny SnappyTom can down to the 100yd line. When he was back and ready I assumed a hand on hip, limp wrist grip on pistol, 1890's target shooter's stance. Whipped her up, squeezed it off, and centered ol' Snappy!
My buddy was astonished, as was I! "I could never learn to do that, he said!"
Now, here is where being an experienced shooter comes in! I simply elevated my nose a tiny bit and said, "No, probably not." Smugly!;)

Nice. I never knew they came w fixed sights 'til I saw a post probably by you not too long ago.
Long long ago I had a SS target. Only used FFF (45gr rammed hard/firm) and balls (topped w Crisco).. I'd win money bets at 100 against guys with their iron sighted lever rifles all day long. Beautiful guns.

Ive had 4-5 chain fires over the last 28 years with my Pietta Remington. Its always a "surprise" when it happens. boom,boom,BOOM . I do the grease on the ball on that one but I'm pretty convinced its the nipple placement that causes chain fires. The Ruger nipples are much deeper and protected and I don't believe its a problem with the Old Army with tight balls/bullets. Ive never had it happen anyway. Some people claim the grease helps soften fouling. Fouling isnt an issue with the Triple 7 though and grease doesnt make cleanup easier by any stretch. Soap and warm water and compressed air and theyr'e sparkling clean in a few minutes. Picked up a minty '73 Old Army target model the other day. Can't wait to try it out.

Excellent. I mainly used it to lubricate the slugs and it worked well.. it was messy and you'd just use a smidge if you were going to creep around for rabbits all day in 120F heat. lol. Full flap action!
I wanted to try some Hot Shot (I think they were called) nipples.. not for better ignition but to completely blow off the cap upon firing. Never got around to it.

Got a holster for one. Van Cleef style crossdraw. Paid the princely sum of $50 off Etsy for a custom made leather slim jim style crossdraw.Woo Hoo...

oCtK13.jpg

I have a set of Herrett's ambidextrous grips on mine, as well as the usual Pachmayr types. Those grips look nice, too, and I'd like to find a set like that for my old ROA.

Re 'chain-fires'. This subject has been flogged to death over on muzzleloadingforum.com for YEARS.

It seems likely that a combination of worn nipples and loose caps result in cap flame going sideways and cooking off the adjacent chamber or two, or even more. Many of us are having a hard time figuring out how a flame can get around a ball that has been swaged into the barrel like they are when loading.

I've been shooting my ROA since I bought it on my birthday in 1986 - about a thousand gazillion rounds, without EVER having a chainfire.

Am I lucky?

Nope, I just load and shoot the .457" diameter ball and don't futz around with anything smaller.

tac

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads