JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think I'm the first person to reply that actually did pick up a couple of these uppers last year, and they work great on my mk iv 22/45 frame. I did pay Volquartsen to thread one of the bull-barrel uppers and I stuck a Tandemkross Game Changer Pro compensator on it and it has so little kick, very noticably down from the mk iv 22/45 Lite upper. Heavy barrel must be why!

I have been looking for extra bolts instead of swapping the one I have, so I'll definitely take a look on eBay for those mk iii's.

I will also say I was quite confused about VC (I did not know their full name is Volquartsen Custom; as someone pointed out their website currently says Volquartsen Firearms) and would have appreciated the acronym clarification (though I did think it was funny when someone implied the Viet Cong were using Rugers). My personal rule of thumb is to define every acronym I use in parentheses right after its first use, so that not-as-quick folks like myself can just see what it is right away. I did not draw the conclusion that Volquartsen mapped to VC until the OP brought it to attention in post #15. I suppose since I am relatively new to Volquartsen I did not know their history and prior usage of the name Volquartsen Custom.

In any case, thanks to OP for sharing the deal and the pictures! I really like your slab-side upper, would love to have one of those one day.

Thanks for your reply.

I know of a few others who've done that very same thing. I bought my Volquartsen LLV before the Black Mamba was born, and swapped bolts back and forth between one of my Ruger Mark II pistols:
View attachment 807691
Fit and worked perfectly. I only tried the switch for my own learning, as the Volquartsen bolt that came with it works perfectly well as is.:
View attachment 807692
Didn't expect that my using VC as the abbreviation for Volquartsen Custom would cause such an uproar. English was my major in college as I had aspirations of being a teacher, but other things beyond my control got in the way. But I did land an apprenticeship to become a journeyman toolmaker, worked at that for almost 17 years.
Funny thing is, I used that same acronym in several of the 150+ articles I've done for "American Gunsmith" as a contributing editor for them, and never received one jeer. Odd:
View attachment 807695 View attachment 807693

You can bet your Bippy, that I certainly did not intend for my post to create controversy, dissention, or mass indigestion among the masses.
Best,
Gary

They buy new guns from Ruger, put their custom stuff on, then sell these on the cheap. Mine came with a new Ruger hard case as well. I had @Velzey thread mine, found a new bolt on eBay for under $50, now I just need a frame. I've been using the open sights on this and swapping the uppers back and forth with my MKIV Lite that has an optic on it. Two guns for very cheap.

Their "Black Mamba" pistol uses the Mark IV 22/45 grip frame.
Which is why they sell these uppers cheap, they strip the parts they don't use and offload the rest of them. If someone needs a set of factory sights it's about as cheap to buy a complete one, crazy how good of a deal it is.

Last Edited:
I remember when they had that LLV on clearance several years ago. What I REALLY remember was not having the money right then to buy one!!!

The LLV is indeed a GREAT shooter! I got rid of those HUGE grips it came with and made a set of panels more to my liking:
aO73cuk.jpg

@SGW Gunsmith, I was reading another post where you were able to get your MKIV to cycle with the CCI 710fps stuff. Any chance you could PM me with what you had to do, I'd really like to get my pistols to cycle that ammo as it is very quiet stuff. Thank you in advance!

@SGW Gunsmith, I was reading another post where you were able to get your MKIV to cycle with the CCI 710fps stuff. Any chance you could PM me with what you had to do, I'd really like to get my pistols to cycle that ammo as it is very quiet stuff. Thank you in advance!

The Ruger Mark pistol I got to work with CCI 710FPS quiet is a Mark III:
YVP4SsL.png
And, to get it to work, it meant going with a "prototype bolt" made from titanium weighing less than half of what a steel Ruger Mark bolt weighs. Too dang expensive to produce and sell those bolts.

YOU are. Look at the very first post I made POST #1, first sentence, "Ruger and Volquartsen......" Who the hell do you think Volquartsen is that I was referring to? Sheesh! Post #7 is about BOLTS! You're kinda sad.
You aren't doing yourself any favors here. When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. I saw nothing about Volquartsen Custom in the first post. I too wondered what "VC" meant. Getting all snippy about not being clear in your communications makes me a little more reluctant to deal with you. Have a nice day.

You aren't doing yourself any favors here. When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. I saw nothing about Volquartsen Custom in the first post. I too wondered what "VC" meant. Getting all snippy about not being clear in your communications makes me a little more reluctant to deal with you. Have a nice day.

Good to see that you woke up OK! How was your nap? This response was not toward "CastleRocker" at all, it was to a post now in the history bucket. Thanks for that.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads