Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Did anyone else get that "Personal Defense" DVD from the NRA & now they want $12.95?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Navman, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Navman

Navman Canby Oregon Active Member

It came to my door unsolicited, haven't had time to watch it, threw "the envelope" in recycle.

Now I get a bill for $12.95 or return on my own time & money or what?

NRA or anyone, if you send something to me that I didn't ask for it's mine

I'm beginning to remember why I dropped out of membership for 20 years, they used up my dues asking for more money

Now I gotta figure out how to opt out?

Rant over...

2. Callidus98

Callidus98 Portland Member

I got the same thing a while back. There was a phone number on the one I got. I was able to call and actually talk to a real live person. Told them not to send me anymore.

3. NiceAsh

NiceAsh Salem Active Member

Ya, I need to call them too.

4. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I just keep them. They have no legal way of going after me for any money. They never called and have stopped sending me letters. As I said in the last thread on this, if they send me another, their getting a brick sent back to them.

HenryJ and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Navman

Navman Canby Oregon Active Member

Good idea and without the postage pre-paid

Thanks for the reply's guys!

I'll just ignore it, got better things to do with my time.

6. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

HenryJ and (deleted member) like this.
  7. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

wow, i feel so lefdt out, NRA has not sent me one and I am a life member

bcdon and (deleted member) like this.
  8. 300zxtt

300zxtt south king New Member

Yep. If you read the fine print your not obligated to send it back or pay anything.

9. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

LOL WUT

10. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

You can keep it based on U.S. Postal Service rules. It is unsolicited merchandise which they can't expect payment for. I kept mine and sent them an email telling them why (and quoting the code for that) and they stopped sending me reminders about paying.

11. locobob

locobob Beaverton, Oregon Well-Known Member

Technically its a gift, you didn't order it and they sent it to you knowing that. You can legally keep it and ignore the letters suggesting that you pay for it. I just kept mine and I let the NRA know that I don't approve of this type of fund raising technique. I do still donate to the NRA/ILA fairly often, just not going to do it this way.

12. locobob

locobob Beaverton, Oregon Well-Known Member

Yes I agree completely, the NRA is making a mistake by engaging in this practice. I think their fundraising strategy team needs to take a step back and reconsider some of their methods. I was going to send mine back originally but then I forgot about it. When I found it again some months later I said to myself "screw it, they don't really want this back anyhow, probably cost them more to process the return than the cost of the DVD". What they really want is for you to feel obligated to send them money. I did send them a check last month to support their lobbying efforts but that was in response to a normal "help the cause" solicitation.

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  13. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

Well, do we really need another law? ;)

but seriously, it is not something they should be doing. It does not reflect well on them. It is how scammers do things and why the Postal Service has instituted the rules in their code. It is a shame that the NRA stoops to this and hopefully if enough people complain they may stop. But who knows?

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  14. DireWolf

DireWolf Oregon Active Member

This is how the NRA protects freedom. It's not about the money they just charged you.

:laugh:

15. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

It's very simple to opt out of the junkmail and such.

bcdon and (deleted member) like this.
  16. BsB

BsB Fall City Member

17. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

I didn't get one......I'm feeling neglected. They sure send me enough junk mail though.

18. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

it has been mentioned every time the NRA is brought up and everyone keeps crying like a little girl.
    so for everyone crying that they get junk mail and don't call to take their name off the contact list it seems all you like to do is cry.
    manup and that goes for the girls too (I'm not pc) or let it be known you are just a crybaby.

19. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

I don't care if they send me junk mail....but it seems a waste of their resources. I would think there would be a better use for the money, to be frank.

20. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

and you know for a fact they are buying the dvd's for this or is it a part of some other company and their way of supporting the NRA (with a % per sold)???