JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
......in Theodore Roosevelt National Park near Medora, North Dakota? My shooting partner and I put in for every week of November, December, and January. Well, every week that is except for Thanksgiving and the week before and after Christmas. I do have a wife and kids after all! :p

If selected we will be working for the Park Service for a minimum of five days, shooting (not really hunting) cow elk as directed by a Park employee. The location of the elk is known via radio collars, but while that means they can find 'em easily enough, we still have to get to 'em.

We were notified that if chosen we should expect to shoot between 10 and 20 elk each during our five day stint. Hopefully with success, but the shooters will be going out in five man teams counting the Park supervisor. So there will be intentional back up in the case of missed or botched shots, a very good thing.

Sounds exciting, if somewhat sad after a fashion. All the elk meat will go to Indian tribes, with each shooter receiving a cow each for their efforts. I should know in about two weeks if we were chosen. If there were not enough applicants, we may be chosen for additional week as well, again with a cow elk in payment! Darned exciting stuff!

Go to the Theodore Roosevelt National Park website for more info, but it has closed unfortunately.

I was rather suprised that the only info was at the Park website and through the NRA. The other info I could find was two articles in newspapers Back East (Tennessee and Connecticut). Other than that multiple searchs turned up nothing. I only discovered it at literally the last minute because my hunting partner read it in an NRA newsletter.

Why don't they just let hunters in there to hunt them rather than a mass slaughter? That is not my idea of fun just going out and shooting elk like they are sage rats...

Go to the Theodore Roosevelt National Park website for more info, but it has closed unfortunately.

I was rather suprised that the only info was at the Park website and through the NRA. The other info I could find was two articles in newspapers Back East (Tennessee and Connecticut). Other than that multiple searchs turned up nothing. I only discovered it at literally the last minute because my hunting partner read it in an NRA newsletter.

There is no hunting allowed in National Parks by law. Argue with your senators and representatives about that.

It is not my idea of a "fun time" nor is it a hunt either, I thought I made that pretty clear. However, sorry, it will still be exciting to participate. It is better than the alternative that was first proposed by the Park System. They were going to hire some "professional" hunters to shoot the elk from motorized vehicles, but that was opposed by a North Dakota congressman who felt every day folks should have a chance to take home some meat.

And that is what it is about for me, simply a meat shoot. I would rather participate and accomplish the "slaughter" as someone who cares about the elk rather than let guys chase and shoot them from ATVs. We are expected to hike in up to ten miles, during a crappy time of the year for North Dakota, so it isn't just a road hunt.

I won't get into an argument over whether or not hunting should be allowed in National Parks as it will accomplish nothing and is meaningless.

I was on the site last week so it just closed. If I was able to meet the pyshical I would have been on it for every week. But back issues stopped me. THIS TIME!!!!!

Why couldn't they just corral the elk and truck them over to Oregon? ODFW would do better paying for trucking them over here with our "fee dollars" as opposed to whatever they are calling their current method of "management."

Darn good idea, and one that is probably over the heads of the "powers that be".

I know nothing about elk biology, but I do know that elk have been transplanted in the past with great success. You are just too practical I'm afraid.

Why couldn't they just corral the elk and truck them over to Oregon? ODFW would do better paying for trucking them over here with our "fee dollars" as opposed to whatever they are calling their current method of "management."

Surprised they havn't dumped wolves in there, yet, to get rid of them! :s0131:

I'd do it. Kind of like prarie dog shooting, only on a slightly larger scale. You also get to keep some meat, win-win. :D :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top