JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yup, call 911

<broken link removed>

PORTLAND, Ore. &#8211; A witness to an armed robbery in downtown Portland said he tried to wave down a uniformed police officer as the incident was unfolding, but the officer claimed he was off duty, told him to call 9-1-1 and drove away.

The Portland Police Bureau has now launched an internal investigation, according to spokesman Lt. Robert King.

Rob Anderson said he had popped into the Central Drugs pharmacy at SW 4th and Alder on Thursday afternoon to get some aspirin for his father when somebody strangely told him to leave because they were closed.

Anderson looked around and noticed people had their hands up, so he left the store.

"It was very clear this was not the place to be," he said.

As he was walking away and dialing 9-1-1, he said he noticed a police officer in a uniform and marked car stopped at a light.

He tapped on the window and says he told the officer there was a hostage situation going on at the drug store.

"He told me 'okay, I'm off duty, could you please call 9-1-1," Anderson said, adding that the officer did not seem frustrated, but was rather matter-of-fact sounding.

Anderson said the officer then drove away.

"I'm not going to say I'm blown away or frustrated, but at the same time we expect better of Portland Police to react to that situation," he said. "He could have given me something to say 'we're on this situation, I could call dispatch.'"

The officer came forward to supervisors on Friday, although the police bureau has not identified him or offered up his version of events. King said the bureau is taking this allegation "very seriously".

"When you're in a police car, you're in uniform, you have a badge on and a citizen comes to you and says there's a violent felony the expectation is you take some action," King said.

The bureau's official policy states that "if possible, off-duty sworn members should make an arrest when a crime is being committed in their presence, if life or property is threatened, or if the situation is of an emergency nature that cannot wait for the arrival of on-duty officers."

Ultimately, the store's owner chased down and tackled the armed suspect with the help of another employee. They held the suspect until other police officers arrived.

Police have not said what kind of weapon the suspect had and he has not yet been identified.

Portland Mayor Sam Adams got personally involved in the case after it happened, tweeting back and forth Anderson's colleague who was there at the time.

Thursday evening, Allison Park got into a conversation on Twitter with Adams about the incident and police actions.

At about 2:30 p.m., she posted "@MayorSamAdams Armed robbery attempt (SW Alder/4th) thwarted but 1st police officer flagged to help said he was "off duty" & drove away!"

She also said "Doesn't seem appropriate behavior from those pledging to "protect and serve". Sound ok to you?"

At 6:07 p.m., Adams tweeted "What's this about? @AllisonPark Tracking specifics for @PortlandPolice & your office... a civilian to do police work on their behalf."

Minutes later, Adams posted "Now I see. I am very sorry this happened. Did you get ID info?"

Park responded that she did not get the officer's identification but added "Thanks for taking action on this."

Several similar incidents of employees thwarting robberies

The apprehension of the suspect at the pharmacy downtown is the third such incident involving civilians apprehending suspects in Portland in just the last week.

On Thursday morning, employees at a Southeast Portland convenience store helped capture a man who police said tried to rob the store with a fake handgun.

Security video from the store shows the suspect pointing a gun at the employees. But when they figure out the weapon is a fake, a struggle ensues and the two workers attack the suspect and knock the fake weapon away.

The employees held Hanad Ali Haji, 18, for police, investigators said. He now faces charges of robbery, coercion and menacing.

On Monday, police said several employees at a Burgerville restaurant in Southeast Portland chased down DeWayne Taylor, 31, after they said he grabbed cash out of the till after placing an order and then ran away.

Taylor was arrested when officers arrived. He was already wanted on two warrants and now faces robbery charges as well.

Despite the numerous stories of people intervening in crimes that lead to arrests, not every story has a happy ending.

On July 3 in Auburn, Washington, a 23-year-old man intervened in a dispute between a man and woman and was stabbed to death. Marcus Frounfelter, 24, was arrested a short time later.

Police said that you can legally take action to protect yourself under dangerous circumstances, but they advise the public to call 9-1-1 when they see a crime in progress and to be a good witness by noting suspect descriptions, vehicle descriptions and other details that can assist in an investigation.

I'm still going to wait untill all the facts of this incident have been revealed before I form an opinion on this. I just read that the officer involved has come forward and an internal investigation is underway.

What I found real interesting as the news report that they put out about how they were going to handle it. The spokesmen said they are going to look into it to see if he was legal in not helping. WHAT??????????? The fact they dont know already scared the bubblegum out of me. I never depend on them at all but the fact they are not sure what responsibility they have when people are in trouble? Sounds like more people need to be mindful about how fast they are to cover the rears of the Brotherhood instead of why was he not getting off his seat and defending people in need.

Ohh forgot he was on his break. What a joke. Yes I'm upset about the cop but more upset about there attitude well they need to find out if what he did was legal. What about defending the public he swore to protect? Unless of course its on a break I forgot. I miss the days when you could actually respect Officers becasue they wanted to make the place better. Not just on Power trips.

I, too, am going to reserve judgement on this...my only thought is that it might have actually been a city worker driving a police vehicle. Lots of times if the cars need servicing, they may drive them to an auto shop for maintenance (tires replaced, oil changes, Check Engine light on, lightbar repair, etc.). Dude didn't know what to say or do other than tell the guy to call 9-1-1.

If, however, it was a cop in a cop car and he didn't respond then he is a fool and should be punished for his actions. Officers are constantly told that they are never "off duty". Just when they are being paid and when they're not being paid to uphold the law. If a crime is committed in their presence, they have an obligation to interviene. This applies in all 50 states, by the way.

Mind you all he had to do was pull over, get a hold of dispatch and let them know he was flagged down by a bystandard for a possible robbery at said location...they don't have to go running in guns blazing, but they do have to at least get involved.

I really hope it was a civy driving a cop car to the shop and not some lazy cop trying to get out of paperwork before his shift ended...

*edit*

If this isn't a story for more gun rights then I don't know what is...

The pharmacist ended up grabbing his gun and, together with a pharmacy technician, chased after the robbery suspect. The technician tackled the suspect. He held him in a "full Nelson,'' at Southwest Fourth Avenue and Yamhill Street until police arrived soon afterwards. Police recovered the bag of pills.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2012/07/portland_police_officer_who_ha.html

Everyone on the anti-gun side says that we don't need guns and that is what the police is for. Here you have an incident where the civilians tell a cop (the above article says it was a uniformed officer and that he has since turned himself in to IA) about a robbery in progress and he tells the civy to pound sand and call 9-1-1...then the pharmacist pulls out his own gun and detains the guy until "other cops" arrive.

This could also be a way of giving Sam Adams the middle finger because of the way he beats the cops over the head, ties their hands so they can barely deal with the pond scum they come into daily contact with, then refuse to abide by binding arbitration when a cop is found justified in the use of force... Call me crazy.

Hi All,
Sound to me the Officer will be looking for a job soon. As when you are a Police Officer you on duty 24 hours 7 day a week and you have to answer to any type of report of a crime. To make sure that persons or property are safe. The Officer did not do anything He could have use his Radio / Computer to get help. We need to make the City accountable for this kind of Officers. I think we need to get the Mayor and Police Commissioner working on it, But because they are the same maybe a new person for both jobs. Get someone that will do the job right.
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

This could also be a way of giving Sam Adams the middle finger because of the way he beats the cops over the head, ties their hands so they can barely deal with the pond scum they come into daily contact with, then refuse to abide by binding arbitration when a cop is found justified in the use of force... Call me crazy.

Sam Adams?

The same mayor that approved OUR tax money, some $6 million, to be used on a brand new, world class gestapo training center right here in "liberal" Portland?

Yeah, blame the Liberal Mayor.

Funny how all those free market Conservatives who constantly piss and moan about unions love to worship cops, who have the most powerful and corrupted unions in our country. I'd love to see you guys defend teachers so vehemently.

I'm with the poster who said the pig union will get the final say here. Per usual.

C'mon, who said anything about a Liberal? I'm referring to THE "MAN", Sam Adams who I believe has a screw loose, and one could seriously argue he's got "synaptic issues". There have been PLENTY of Liberal/Progressive Mayors and Governor's who refuse(d) to play party/patty-cake with thugs, bums, grifters, and "special interest"... Rudy G. and Chris Christy come to mind... and just because they label themselves as "Republicans" doesn't mean they aren't Liberals/Progressives.

If I have to label myself other than an INDEPENDENT AMERICAN PATRIOT, then I'm a fiscal Conservative/Social Libertarian... and I'm in a trade union. Do I agree with the union leadership on their politics and who they endorse? 90% of the time I do not, and there are plenty rank and file members who feel the same, but nationally the numbers bear differently for elections... You can't blame the rank and file union members any more than you can blame ALL AMERICANS for the sins of our government.

I apologize Stomper.

I jumped to conclusions and brought up issues that weren't part of the discussion.

I guess sometimes (more often than not) I'm more fearful of the police and police state than the crims around us. At least I can legally defend myself from the gangsters without badges.

And as a young person who grew up in North/NE Portland and then San Francisco, I've seen my fair share of police terror and the kinds of things they do get away with, so I get uppity when people suggest that cops should get even more allowances for violent and aggressive behavior.

On topic though... how do you think his enthusiastic backing of the "state-of-the-art" multi-million dollar training facility jives with your conception of his relationship with police in Portland?

C'mon, who said anything about a Liberal? I'm referring to THE "MAN", Sam Adams who I believe has a screw loose, and one could seriously argue he's got "synaptic issues". There have been PLENTY of Liberal/Progressive Mayors and Governor's who refuse(d) to play party/patty-cake with thugs, bums, grifters, and "special interest"... Rudy G. and Chris Christy come to mind... and just because they label themselves as "Republicans" doesn't mean they aren't Liberals/Progressives.

If I have to label myself other than an INDEPENDENT AMERICAN PATRIOT, then I'm a fiscal Conservative/Social Libertarian... and I'm in a trade union. Do I agree with the union leadership on their politics and who they endorse? 90% of the time I do not, and there are plenty rank and file members who feel the same, but nationally the numbers bear differently for elections... You can't blame the rank and file union members any more than you can blame ALL AMERICANS for the sins of our government.

you said Call me crazy. I think I'll go with that instead of INDEPENDENT AMERICAN PATRIOT,...

What I found real interesting as the news report that they put out about how they were going to handle it. The spokesmen said they are going to look into it to see if he was legal in not helping. WHAT???????????

There have already been several court cases that determined that the police do not have to protect you. The most recent one to go to SCOTUS was Castle Rock v. Gonzales. In that case police failed to enforce a restraining order which ended up in the estranged husband killing his 3 children then shooting into a police station committing suicide by cop. Gonzales had contacted the police several times and spoken with at least 3 different officers regarding the situation and they figured it was just another custody dispute that would work its self out. At one point Gonzales was awarded $30million for the PDs failure to act on the restraining order - in the end the Supreme Court said no dice - the law does not require enforcement of a restraining order and if it did joe citizen would not be entitled to financial gain if the police failed to enforce it.

Keep voting for Obama and this is what you will be getting for service. People who believe the government provides privates business owners with companies, also believe they no longer work for the people who pay their salaries, fund those roads and bridges and pay those teachers to fail utterly at educating children.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top