JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I had a chance to shoot a Diamond Back DB380 this past Sunday. I was really excited about this gun for a few reasons; it is put together like a Glock(dis-assembly and appearance) looks like my G30 pooped out a baby baby glock and the thing is Made 100% in America:s0160::s0155:.
I thought to myself this should be great! Boy was I wrong! This thing was a turd from GO! First of all when racking the slide to chamber the first round it would not chamber, instead shifting the incoming case into more of a stovepipe position. After dropping the mag and clearing the round, tried again this time it chambered. First shot went off, next trigger pull.....CLICK! drop the mag and go to clear the chamber, NO case in the chamber. Needless to say the whole fifty rounds went like this over and over.
I was using Blazer Brass(its cheap but shoots well through my .45's).
So I would like anyone's input who May own one of these things. Would YOU trust your life to this gun?:confused:
Have you had ANY issues with this gun and what are they?

I would appreciate the input. I WAS looking to buy one of these and seems my mind has been changed. Should I give one another try, different ammo? Or are these things just born losers?:huh:

I had started a similar thread a while back because I was interested in the pistol as well. The feedback I got was that the DB380 isn't ready for prime time. Primarily feeding issues like you experienced. Was the pistol you shot an early production gun or recent production?

The ZA and ZB serial numbered guns had major problems from what I found on other forums. I bought one with a ZC serial number. It had some ftf, fte issues at first, but then seemed to settle down and work fine after a couple hundred rounds. However, after reading about others experience with them, customer service is very poor if you have to send it in for warranty work and Diamondback makes you pay shipping if you send it in. I wouldn't rely on one for primary carry. Only as a backup to another backup.

I have a ZA serial numbered that I just picked up and I love love love it! For all the reasons OP was going to fall in love with it. My advice, shoot some self defense loads through it. See if that helps, after all it is a backup gun so try that. Also I shoot Remington FMJ for plinking and it worked just fine. I hope you get it to work because this is the only mouse gun I've had that was actually fun to shoot and didn't kill your hand! I was hitting beer cans at 50 ft with the first box of ammo I got for it!

To answer VW_factor, yes the pistol went full battery without charging another round in the chamber. It was like a bad dream when the same combo of problems plagued me mag after mag.
From what I know it IS a recent purchase, it was by buddy's but looked to have very little use. I may talk him into bringing it shooting next time to try a little better ammo. But with ammo prices I do not want to plink with self defense ammo, it is just not cost effective and takes the fun out of shooting IMHO.

Thanks for all the input!

Please post when you have had a chance to run some different ammo thru it to see if that fixes any of the problems. I really want to like the little pistol, but don't want to plunk down my hard earned cash until I hear a LOT more positive feedback.

My ZA serial numbered DB380 sucked big time. I had it replaced with the newest version earlier this year and initially had some FTF/FTE, but after a good cleaning and lubing it up it has been very reliable.

This is the .380 compact handgun that I want to be successful, it's such a nice package for carrying.

IMG_7847.jpg

IMG_5078.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My ZA serial numbered DB380 sucked big time. I had it replaced with the newest version earlier this year and initially had some FTF/FTE, but after a good cleaning and lubing it up it has been very reliable.

This is the .380 compact handgun that I want to be successful, it's such a nice package for carrying.

IMG_7847.jpg

IMG_5078.jpg

Sounds like it likes to run wet. How many rounds down range so far without an FTF or FTE?

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a DB380 back in October last year. I'm at about 350 rounds without a single issue. I've never had a FTF, FTE, and I run it almost dry. I've been pocket carrying this for a while now, hands down one of my favorite carry guns.

Diamondbacks have a shaky history, though based on reports, they are slowing improving. I really like the nice sights on them. Too many micro-380 manufacturers think that a small .380 don't need sights.

Based on reading a LOT of reviews by ACTUAL OWNERS, the three most reliable (in the affordable category) are the Ruger #1, the Kel-Tec #2 and the Taurus #3. (yes, the Taurus)

In the un-affordable category the SIG has a good rep now that they have upgraded the springs.

I also wish that more of these guns came with 2 mags. Of the 4 above, only the Taurus comes with 2 mags.

Took mine out again on Monday and hammered 75 rounds through it as quick as I could load the magazine, no issues at all. I was shooting a mix of Magtech FMJ and Hornady Critical Defense loads.

This is the second best polymer compact .380 to shoot for me. The only other gun that fits me and shoots better is the Kahr P380, but it's also $200 more.

I'm real close to making this my summer carry gun, then again I will probably be picking up the Diamondback 9mm on Friday so it's a possibility too.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top