JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I see how that gun is legal in California.
It's a muzzleloader ala the Cabela's Howdah
You aren't going to reload that in a hurry, but boy howdy, it will be impressive when it goes off.

I see how that gun is legal in California.
It's a muzzleloader ala the Cabela's Howdah
You aren't going to reload that in a hurry, but boy howdy, it will be impressive when it goes off.
I never seen a muzzle loader 12 Ga. Does that mean the components must be stuffed down the barrel like a muzzle loading black powder rifle?

Yep
This uses a 209 shotgun primer instead of a percussion cap. The break open part is only to seat the primers.

I never seen a muzzle loader 12 Ga. Does that mean the components must be stuffed down the barrel like a muzzle loading black powder rifle?

You would load the "Diablo" like this :
Measure the powder...I'd use 30-40 grains of 2F
Dump the powder down the barrels...
Place your shooting patch on the barrel...put the 12 gauge round ball on the patch , ram the patch and ball down the barrel...repeat for the second barrel...
Or...
Some folks get good accuracy by loading powder , over powder card , lubed shot cushion , patch and ball...
Or....
Powder , over powder card , lubed shot cushion , bird shot / buck shot / buck and ball , over shot card.
Prime with the 209 primers....shoot...repeat the process....
Andy

Andy;

You are again a fountain of information at 0405 in the morning! :):):) That's really wonderful!!! :):):)

Say Hi to your Bride!

Your friend,

Mike

Now that's a real two handed Cannon!!! Totally AWESOME!!! Plus being California Legal means their Legislators are going to be really having BIG TIME BLADDER PROBLEMS!!! GOOD FOR THEM and US.:):):)

Last Edited:
One thing I have always wondered about is the longevity of a loaded black powder gun in terns of effective reliability. from the cowboy movies to this item stuck to the bottom of the furniture no one ever speaks of or shows the cowboys replacing their charge. (that I've seen)
How long is a loaded black powder gun trustworthy viable before a load need to be refreshed (considering reasonable weather). Days, weeks, a couple months??
It seems a pain to unload an repack a gun every evening or even couple of days for that matter let alone the damage it would do to the lead. I would have no ability in town to fire them empty.
Maybe @AndyinEverson could enlighten us again if you please.
Thank you kindly

One thing I have always wondered about is the longevity of a loaded black powder gun in terns of effective reliability. from the cowboy movies to this item stuck to the bottom of the furniture no one ever speaks of or shows the cowboys replacing their charge. (that I've seen)
How long is a loaded black powder gun trustworthy viable before a load need to be refreshed (considering reasonable weather). Days, weeks, a couple months??
It seems a pain to unload an repack a gun every evening or even couple of days for that matter let alone the damage it would do to the lead. I would have no ability in town to fire them empty.
Thank you kindly
Thus the nature of the black powder animal. Modern firearms provide more convenience with primed metallic cartridges and magazines. Good question though about how long the powder is viable once loaded. I would think quite a while as long as it's dry. That shotgun primer really increases the reliability of powder ignition though.

Thank you kindly

It all depends...
I have seen and shot black powder firearms that were stored for long periods of time.
( Months to decades )
One shotgun that was left loaded , had wads made from newspapers dated in the 1890's...not saying that the gun was loaded then ...but it does make one wonder...

How the gun is stored and just what the lube used is very important to this.
If stored in a dry place without huge temperature changes along with a lube that does not promote rust , then your load will remain "fresh" and viable...
That said...
Black powder will degrade over time and lose its "boomability" , which may result in a load that does not fire when needed...or you could get a "Hang fire"...
Perhaps even a weak "boom" and the projectile just dropping a few feet from the muzzle or getting stuck in the bore.
Or even if stored badly , the gun will still go off just fine , with tragic results....

I have at times stored my hunting guns loaded , during hunting season...if so I always place a strip of red cloth between the ramrod and barrel near the muzzle to remind myself that I have a load in the firearm.
Mostly though I shoot my firearm at a mark or target at the end of a days hunting , then re-load with a fresh charge for the new hunt.
Andy

there is a banner ad running on NWF for this pistol. When I clicked on the link - Diablo Break Open, 12 Gauge Pistol, Midnight Black | American Gun Craft - it says no license or FFL required, Ca legal?
furthermore, they will not start shipping for six weeks.
Any Comments?

How do you get ads for cool stuff like this? All the ads I see are for women's clothing and swimsuits. I want to support the site, But I finally used an ad blocker because they are so stupid.

I see this banner ad and have looked at these a couple times. Not sure what the hell I would do with one but it does make me want to play with one. I did for years have a double barrel 12 GA front stuffer when I was playing with these. I used those plastic shot wad/ cup deals made for reloading shot shells with an over shot card. Made loading very easy. Have to assume these would work with this pistol.

Hmmm...Could it be possible to just use the primer to fire rubber ball "ammo" to chase the deer out of the yard and prevent them eating the landscape? :cool:

I've tried spraying the yard with those deer repellants....or as I call 'em, and the deer treat 'em .... gourmet flavor coatings.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top