JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, that stinks. I was thinking of signing up for one of their classes. But the hassle of trying to set up a private group (I've done it once, never again) and the expense pretty much eliminates them from future consideration.

Same here, I don't personally know many folks that are interested in that kind of training - guns, yes, but more advanced training like the DH courses, no. Then again, 2-3 hours of private, one-on-one instruction can probably cover what they can do in 8 hours with a large group. So it may work out the same, with less of a time investment.

True, 1:1 , 1:3 for a couple hours, you could cover alot of ground, interesting to see what it looks like starting in Jan.

These ranges are targeting TAX DOLLAR's not individuals.

Nothing against cop's but last class we were asked to be a trainer's at, SWORD was there and those guy's were hella unsafe. The cop's were 10x worse.
Packed up our stuff and left before our cycle even started. 10 min's after showing up.

If you want to learn to gunfight learn from SF guy's not wanna be's or " The Coppers ".
Train as you fight. That cop training BS will get you dead. PERIOD.

These ranges are targeting TAX DOLLAR's not individuals.

Nothing against cop's but last class we were asked to be a trainer's at, SWORD was there and those guy's were hella unsafe. The cop's were 10x worse.
Packed up our stuff and left before our cycle even started. 10 min's after showing up.

If you want to learn to gunfight learn from SF guy's not wanna be's or " The Coppers ".

It sounds to me like you've never attended an OFA class or dealt with their instructors. If you had, you wouldn't say anything about them being unsafe - in fact, they're some of the safest I've seen anywhere. Do you just assume ANYONE who is current or former LEO or current or former military are bad trainers? Because OFA has all of those.

So, have you ever attended an OFA event? If not, you may want to reserve judgment until you've got actual experience with them. I have yet to hear a bad review of their training or their trainers.

I second everything @etrain16 said.

Also, while acknowledging that so-called "square range" training has its limitations once you pass a certain level of trained proficiency the fact is that a lot of "train how you fight" comes later for most folks. We don't all start out as high speed low drag operators. LEO style training is a lot more than most people get. The airborne Ranger stuff can come later.

Back from a day of training at OFA. Expended something like 350 rounds of 115gr 9mm FMJ in drill after drill after drill....
Feeling pooped but oh so deadly! I know gun-fu. Heeyah!

So, while you were at the class, did they go into any detail as to why they're changing how they do their classes starting next year?

nobody walks around with a "special forces" team at their side. Military training tactics are not applicable to civilian self defense but the police deal with exactly the same type of criminal that citizens would face, every day. Have you taken a class at OFA?

I second everything @etrain16 said.

Also, while acknowledging that so-called "square range" training has its limitations once you pass a certain level of trained proficiency the fact is that a lot of "train how you fight" comes later for most folks. We don't all start out as high speed low drag operators. LEO style training is a lot more than most people get. The airborne Ranger stuff can come later.

agree, when I was there one of my friends asked about different training scenarios and the reply was they can and do set up any training scenario to work on specific to the customers needs. My guess is their new training schedule will accomodate that better, I know in my class I suspect we could have covered more drills if it was just 3 of us....

etrain16
I wasn't saying they were unsafe at OFA. Never been there.
I was talking about JTOC.
Sword and the Police officer's that were there.

Lot's of places are run by Ex-SF guy's. Might as well learn from the best.

John still teaches Classes.
Handcrafted, Long Range Rifles and Custom Built Pistols

The rest of the guy's from Craft are still teaching. (- Chris )

etrain16
I wasn't saying they were unsafe at OFA. Never been there.
I was talking about JTOC.
Sword and the Police officer's that were there.

Lot's of places are run by Ex-SF guy's. Might as well learn from the best.

John still teaches Classes.
Handcrafted, Long Range Rifles and Custom Built Pistols

The rest of the guy's from Craft are still teaching. (- Chris )

I guess it comes down to what kind of training are you looking for? I agree that special forces guys are probably the absolute best at what they do, but what they do is pretty radically different than my day to day activities. I'm not looking to become an operator. I'm not planning on moving house to house, rifle at the ready, clearing buildings. I don't expect to have enemy snipers taking shots at me as I move down the streets of a hostile enemy town. And I don't expect to 'operate' at work, at home or anywhere else for that matter.

For that reason, I think there is a place for their training, but does that make them the 'best' for my training needs? How much experience do they have working in an office, dressed in everyday clothing, carrying a single pistol, concealed? How much experience do they have doing what most people should do in say an active shooter scenario - find cover and/or get the hell out? My firearm is a last resort item for me. I have no illusions about confronting an active shooter or clearing a building - that's why we have LE's and SF guys. For the rest of us, it's basic personal survival. And if that means running the other way, that's what I'll do. If confronted, with no other option, I'll have the training to draw and fire - maybe I'll make it, maybe I won't - no guarantees. But in all honesty, the LE's are probably closer to my reality that guys operating in active war zones.

I simply think you need to choose the training that best fits your personal needs. For me, that's likely not going to be SF folks. Maybe that will change some day, but for now, retreat first, fight only if no other option is simply my plan, and that's what I train to.

Running away only get's people shot on the back.:(

I assume you're joking, either that or you don't grasp the concept of taking cover and getting out (if possible).

I have no intent to confront an active shooter unless I'm backed into a corner and have nowhere else to go. If I'm in that position, I'll be shooting back and hopefully I win.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top