Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

DH1 Oregon Firearms Academy

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by Oregon Rob, May 18, 2016.

1. Oregon Rob

Oregon Rob washington county Active Member

I Spent all day Sunday in my first ever Live Fire DH class. It was very well run and staffed 12 students 5 instructors including trainers from the Oregon Police Academy so we got a lot of attention and hands on. I went through roughly 300 rounds and gained a lot of practical experience. By the end of the day I was a bit mentally fatigued which is a pretty good indication that we my brain was stretched a bit.

I highly recommend it and am looking forward to DH2.

Dungannon, BroncoFan, Stomper and 5 others like this.
  2. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

Congrats Rob! Really get those DH1 skills dialed in as DH2 is going to a substantial step-up for you in skills, knowledge and more importantly application of both in a simulated environment.

Oregon Rob likes this.
  3. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

It was a great class. Glad you liked it.

Oregon Rob likes this.
  4. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Nice Rob, maybe I was standing next to you, I was #3 in line... (if I had known another forum member was there I would have introduced myself). I second your post above, excellent class I learned a lot about my own abilities, my equipment, and where I can improve. I really enjoyed the positive feedback and personalised instruction it was a real eye opener to put my skills to the test and now be able to compare my abilities to the skills required to be proficient with a handgun for self defense. I’m definitely looking forward to going back for DH2, and yes I will be practising in the mean time... :)

Thank you OFA for offering this class to the public.

5. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

Sorry guys I missed you. First class I've missed in two years as I was delivering a train-the-trainer course in Montana. It is ironic that we've been around 19.5 years but few even know about us on this forum but yet we have a national draw. Many of the new schools and instructors are graduates of ours directly or indirectly.

Regarding DH2 the focus will start to shift from just a how-to skill building course to now a "must apply my understanding of the seriousness of the use of force, the execution of my "defensive-plan" and how I will respond with my natural and/or trained behavior" in a simulated real-world simulation. Dh2 starts to get real!

HuckleberryFun and etrain16 like this.
  6. Oregon Rob

Oregon Rob washington county Active Member

Actually I was on lane 11. I was amazed at the instructor to student ratio. Great time!

OFADAN and etrain16 like this.
  7. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I took DH1 myself 2 years ago and took DH2 just last month. Another great class. As Dan mentioned, DH2 definitely steps it up. Shooting on the move, working with a partner, and the real world scenario in the "Adjudicator" will certainly make an impression.

Definitely good folks down there.

Time for me to start thinking about DH3.

HuckleberryFun and OFADAN like this.
  8. djaziatic

djaziatic Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hmm not that far of a drive from Portland. Interested.

9. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Polk County, Oregon Active Member

I cant speak highly enough of OFA, DH1 is a good class, I've taken it twice. The 2nd time was a year or two after DH1 as a refresher prior to taking DH2/lowlight and Glock, then followed that up last year with basic carbine....Keep up the good work guys.

Chris

HuckleberryFun likes this.
  10. HuckleberryFun

HuckleberryFun Portland, OR. Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm leaving early tomorrow morning for Oregon Firearm Academy's DH1 class. I took my CHL class with them and was impressed by the quality of instruction, so I signed up for more. My intention is to take the entire 5 class sequence of defensive handgun courses. Will you all please stop taking up all the available spaces? Geez!

etrain16 likes this.
  11. etrain16

DH1 was a great class, DH2 is definitely a step up in action - shooting while moving, etc. I will probably take DH3 at some point, but haven't decided when I'll do that yet.

HuckleberryFun likes this.
  12. Koda

you might want to check their schedule, it looks like they will soon no longer offer their regular classes anymore. I was just looking at their schedule for taking the DH2 myself next spring, but as of 2017 its all changed to private instruction. I’m not certain how this changes my training plan yet...

etrain16 likes this.
  13. etrain16

I had not heard that - certainly wasn't mentioned in the last class I took. That would probably impact my future training plans too.

14. Koda

it was news to me too. See their schedule page for the special announcement...
    Oregon Firearms Academy LLC - Schedule

one thing I dont doubt is their quality of instruction and certifications. They are top notch. Ultimately it wont matter to me if the instruction is private or not my only concern is the price. Firearm training is already expensive enough and if they reduce their class size to personal training that seems more expensive... but I dont know yet.

15. etrain16

Yep, first I've heard of that. Cost would be the biggest issue for me. At their hourly rates, it could get pretty spendy, may be too much. I guess I'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

I wonder what prompted the change??

Maybe if we tag @OFADAN, we can have the owner weigh in himself.

Koda likes this.
  16. Koda

yeah, it sounds like you will have to give them a call personally and set up a class specific for you or a group of your friends. Personally, I only know of 2 other friends that are interested in advanced firearm training so even a group of 3 for a full day class would have to be expensive. I guess I'll have to wait till next spring when I was planning on going again to find out what the cost it but it would help to know in advance.

17. etrain16

Same here, I don't personally know many folks that are interested in that kind of training - guns, yes, but more advanced training like the DH courses, no. Then again, 2-3 hours of private, one-on-one instruction can probably cover what they can do in 8 hours with a large group. So it may work out the same, with less of a time investment.

wayoutwest likes this.
  18. Koda

that’s actually a good point but I cant picture how that will work out with their weekend schedules already booked full months in advance...

etrain16 likes this.
  19. etrain16

Hopefully Dan will see the tag and come here to help us better understand the changes. I know he gets on NWFA from time to time, just not frequently

HuckleberryFun and Koda like this.
  20. HuckleberryFun

HuckleberryFun Portland, OR. Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I just checked their site. You are correct about their going over to private instruction only in 2017. I'll have to ask them how that affects going on with training. I'll post info when I get it.

etrain16 and Koda like this.