JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
80 yr old homeowner attached and jumped on by 2 in his home, gets loose and shoots the intruder.

My money is on the homeowner going to prison for murder.

""When I went in there, they tackled me," Greer told NBC4 Wednesday. "Both of them jumped up on top of me."
"The intruders threw Greer to the ground, but they didn't know he'd gotten his .22-caliber Smith and Wesson revolver."

Here is why the murder charge:

"I come back and they see me with a gun, and they run," he said.

The man escaped, but the woman fell after being struck by Greer's gunfire in an alley behind the house.

"She says, 'Don't shoot me, I'm pregnant! I'm going to have a baby!' And I shot her anyway," Greer said.

When asked what he saw happen to the woman after he fired shots, Greer responded: "She was dead. I shot her twice, she best be dead ... (The man) had run off and left her."

Read more: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...-Kills-Intruder--268364152.html#ixzz38Q1Mm1oR

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...meowner-Shoots-Kills-Intruder--268364152.html

Double murder charge? Not sure how Cali works - if she was pregnant and he executed her, he's facing at least one murder rap - two if Cali treats fetus as people like some states do. Shouldn't have shot her after she was down.

I saw the interview all I got to say is , HOLY CRAP. what that guy said on camera is going to get him in trouble, especially in California .

His only hope is that he is 80 years old.

Evidently this was their third trip through this dude's house, He said he had moved the keys... so some prior knowledge/experiences. I'd hate to be a juror at his trial, while I am sympathetic to his plight, I don't think he is legally or morally justified to just execute a pregnant woman.

Executed . . . Executed, you say . . . I think he just SELECTED HER OUT OF THE GENE POOL!

Sheldon

I understand your Ire, I don't condone robbing old folks, and think it should be a hazardous occupation. Shooting a pregnant woman laying on the ground begging for her life is evil.

I understand your Ire, I don't condone robbing old folks, and think it should be a hazardous occupation. Shooting a pregnant woman laying on the ground begging for her life is evil.

How cares if she is pregnant, is that any reason to let scum live. That should not be a deciding factor. All that matters is did she deserve to get shot or not.

All that matters (aside from all the other facts we are not privy to at this time) is that the two had fled, the home owner pursued and shot.

This statement alone will be his downfall:

"She says, 'Don't shoot me, I'm pregnant! I'm going to have a baby!' And I shot her anyway," Greer said.

When the perpetrator(s) disengages and runs it is all over. Your window of justifiable use of deadly force has narrowed considerably. They are no longer attacking you, the threat has stopped. Your are now justifiable in being pissed, angry, perturbed, vexed, forlorn, depressed, sad, livid, and a host of other emotions. Perusing the fleeing attackers and shooting them is rarely if ever the answer to life's problems.

I feel a great deal of sympathy for the gentleman being robbed and beaten up like that. In the end though he messed up.

I'm sure if the 80 y.o. man had begged for them to not hurt/kill him while they were assaulting him and ransacking his home, they would have just walked away empty handed. :reyes: I'm not saying he was justified in killing her but, she should have thought about the consequences of b&e into someone's home, death is a possible outcome. Especially if it's not the first time they have broken into his home.

I still haven't seen an autopsy report confirming she was pregnant either.

How cares if she is pregnant, is that any reason to let scum live.

Yes, it goes to character. Shooting a pregnant woman laying on the ground begging you not to shoot her and doing it anyway because you think she is not fit to live is illegal and immoral. That wasn't his call to make.

That should not be a deciding factor.

It is relevant, the fact that the homeowner is a frail senior is also relevant. I'm not suggesting either are above the law or natural consequences for their actions. What she did was evil and despicable, I'm just not going to join the cheering section for the death of this young woman and her unborn child.

All that matters is did she deserve to get shot or not.

She put herself in that position and reaped deadly consequences. Did she deserve it? I'll answer your question this way:
I'm glad I didn't get everything I deserved when I was young.

Bad decision by the criminals followed by a bad decision by the homeowner. Didn't we just go through this same discussion on another case? And wasn't the homeowner charged with murder in that case? I've always understood that you are justifiable in using force until the threat is over - and from that point on, you risk becoming a bad guy yourself. The punk ran away, the girl was left behind. Cover her until the police get there and let them deal with her.

While I have great sympathy for a 2-on-1 attack on this old man, it doesn't justify his decision to 'finish' her. He's still alive, and that's good, unfortunately, what life he had as a free man will likely come to an end over poor judgment. And that will probably come in the form of groups of people rallying around the cause of the dead bad-girl, demanding justice for her and her unborn baby (if she was in fact pregnant). Probably a civil suit by the family of the bad-guy for having lost his girl and their unborn baby. Undoubtedly more laws will be developed to prevent old people from assassinating young women who attack them. It is CA after all.

Deadly force is justifiable in cases where life is in imminent danger. It is possible his lawyer will be successful in arguing that he had to do this, that they were a threat to others should they get away. But I seriously doubt that. Maybe they'll argue "insanity" after he was beaten by the two of them.

Once the bad actors are fleeing, you can't take them down; you have to stop.

Sweet woman that she was, committed to turning her life around and all, and considering the effect of her example on her unborn child she regretted her criminal behavior . . . for the rest of her life!!!!

Sheldon

No one disputes she is a bad girl , so we can add lying to burglary and assault, a justifiably pissed off homeowner decided to follow her out into the alley and murder her. It raises the stakes for people burglarizing houses, which is what the old guy wanted to accomplish when he shot and killed her.

Fast Eddie
I would argue that she committed suicide!!
Either way there is one less inhabitant in the shallow end of the gene pool.

By the way, can you volunteer for jury duty???

Sheldon

Morally? Shoot her.

Legally? Let her go.

I sympathize but he shouldn't have let his emotions blind him like that and he certainly shouldn't have made a peep without an attorney present.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top