JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Interesting device that works on anything with a 'rail' to which it can be attached.

How many gun articles have you read where the description of a firearm was totally subjective? How many posts in firearm forums? How many people post something about the recoil of some gun/cartridge combo that doesn't jive with your experience?

Now we can compare objective quantitative numbers for guns and ammo.

This device, while not inexpensive ($249 MSRP), measures recoil throughout the recoil impulse. It also measure 'torque'. Not quite sure exactly what it is measuring (I need to read more about it), but I believe it may be vertical and horizontal force. There is a video in the article where a tester uses it on three Glocks in 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP.

While this may graph recoil and/or put numbers on the movement of a gun. Recoil is generally a preference. That preference can be changed drastically on your form and how you grip a pistol. Also most shooters dislike different different thinks about recoil. Some dislike how fast a pistol is blown back, others dislike how the pistol moves after it has chambered a new round. These both feel very differently depending on the round used, pressures created, springs of the gun, and weight of different parts of the gun.

While this may graph recoil and/or put numbers on the movement of a gun. Recoil is generally a preference. That preference can be changed drastically on your form and how you grip a pistol. Also most shooters dislike different different thinks about recoil. Some dislike how fast a pistol is blown back, others dislike how the pistol moves after it has chambered a new round. These both feel very differently depending on the round used, pressures created, springs of the gun, and weight of different parts of the gun.

Exactly - subjective.

The video in the article covers some of this - including the difference between how the gun recoils in a Ransom rest vs. in your hands. I view this as something gun test writers, etc., can use to give us more objective information about recoil rather than their subjective feel. I have read too many opinions about recoil and not enough objective data.

Probably just a accelerometers. The data can be integrated to give velocity and integrated again to give position.

There is still a lot of variables that have a part in what acceleration will be, such as ammo, grip pressure and hand position. Unless you can control all the variables, the data obtained may be misinterpreted.

5.56 Muzzle Brake / Comp / Flash Hider Shootout!

This system is much better but does not apply to handguns

At least they measured something, so yes, more objective than some pundit submitting their subjective opinion.

The good thing about the device I posted is that it works on any device with a rail. Also, it can measure 'recoil' in 3 axis? And it can be used when mounted in something like a sled or in a Ransom Rest.

Again, measuring something with something is better than subjective opinions, and at the very least, if the measurement is reproducible, then it can be compared.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top