JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Over the past few months we've been quietly developing The Northwest Sportsman Community, which many of you have been eager to see get going. My intent is to build a place better suited to the hunters and fishermen here, and offer those folks another choice in which Northwest outdoor forum they prefer to call home. I don't see this as being an either or relationship with the Northwest Firearms Community, but rather a close 'sister community', depending on what the user is looking for. Spinning off the hunting and fishing will allow Northwest Firearms to focus on the firearm rights and self defense portion of gun ownership, while Northwest Sportsman will be infinitely more detailed and specific when it comes to outdoor recreation. By standardizing the layout, software, and operation of the the two sites, users will already feel at home (or at least as comfortable as they do here :D).

I'd like to get some feedback from those of you here who might have some ideas as to what they would like to see that community become. What are your thoughts?
It looks quite nice. Have you talked with the folks at www.ifish.net ? there will likely be a lot of overlap.

i don't know if this has already been suggested. Why not rename this site Northwest Sportsman? push the hunting, fishing, hiking, boating etc to the top of the forum. at the end of the day we are all sportsmen who enjoy multiple aspects of the outdoors. just a thought.

Ask yourself, "Do I think Ford talks to GM before a new product launch ?"
LOL

That site has been in decline for years now.
Rusted software.
New ownership has loaded it with ads.
Etc, etc.

Could be time for something new.

And don't forget the most important thing.....That site ran off the best members, the life blood of the site. All that's left are the ones that know how to be richards without crossing the VERY thin line between AUP violation and member in good standing. And people newer to fishing and wanting to discuss and learn all they can. The other big thing, probably with fishing sites in general though, is fisherman, somewhat over all especially salmon/steelhead fisherman, have a propensity to be richards. They tend to be secretive, even to the point of refusing to say what they're using for bait. That just isn't going to make much of a discussion forum.

Last Edited:
i don't know if this has already been suggested. Why not rename this site Northwest Sportsman? push the hunting, fishing, hiking, boating etc to the top of the forum. at the end of the day we are all sportsmen who enjoy multiple aspects of the outdoors. just a thought.
I agree.
Although I remember why the second site, I went there and activity seems sporatic.
Most posts are at least 2 years old.
Granted, the original intention was a good idea, but it just doesn't seem to be working.
Thus, I am for fusing the other site into this one, but keeping the "NWfirearms" as a key word/phrase when doing a Google search.

Dean

I agree.
Although I remember why the second site, I went there and activity seems sporatic.
Most posts are at least 2 years old.
Granted, the original intention was a good idea, but it just doesn't seem to be working.
Thus, I am for fusing the other site into this one, but keeping the "NWfirearms" as a key word/phrase when doing a Google search.

Dean

I would think a poll would be in order? If it could reach most ALL participating members of NWFA. How many gun enthusiasts are also fisherman on a fairly regular basis?

Myself, I have been a fisherman since I was a young boy fishing in an irrigation ditch in front of my home in Utah. I didn't think much of the fishing here when I moved to PDX in '83. I got into sturgeon, was taught the salmon/steelhead game and got into that for many years, a boat, vacations were fishing. I've been turned off to the fishing in Oregon now. I haven't driven two hours to fish for years. Traffic is so bad. Salmon/steelhead tags keep going up in price for limited opportunities. Lost access to fishing spots. We were pretty darn lucky here in PDX with the Columbia and Willamette within 20-30 minutes, and the salmon/steelhead available in spring summer and fall! Now about the only, somewhat easy, catch and keep fishing is driving two hours or more through horrible traffic for planted, put-'N-take trout. It would be really cool to have a hunting/fishing site that MOVED, AND WAS FUN though!

I feel ya' Mike.
I grew up out here on the Hood Canal, bottom fishing was FREE for many years, then all fishing had to have a license starting in '87.
$2 for a bottom fishing license.
TWO Bucks! :mad:
I hear its a lot more now.
There's a nice little Perch pond up the road from here, too.
Too bad the money grubbing state had to get greedier.

Dean

I happen to like me some perch. ;) If I'm lucky I'll be somewhere else next year, closer to this....

P1040389.JPG

Like the teail cam thread on Hunting Wa forum and the wolf thread.
I am on here, WaGuns, HuntingWa, and The High Road and check certain threads on each forum.
I'm sure there will be threads on this new forum that will be interesting to read.

Might want to seperate Things out for the purists like ocean fishing/ river fishing, bow hunting / rifle, bankie / boat.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top